Blaze vs Devils - 22 Sept 19 - CC

Wagstaff

Well I didn’t expect that result!
On the same day last year you turned us over 5-1 in the same fixture.
We’ve been scoring goals, but leaking a lot more than we score, so it’s a welcome result in our house, totally shocked if I’m honest as apart from the Sheffield win we haven’t performed like the team we signed on paper

august04

The defence has looked shaky in several games. I can’t comment on tonight’s game because I didn’t see it but it was awful last night. I’m not mentioning names but we have player/players in our D corps, that can’t defend - and any offensive upside they might have doesn’t make up for that in my opinion. We can get away with it when there’s a steadying influence like Strachan or Blood around, but it’s not working at the moment. We need that presence badly and our defensive recruitment has failed in that regard. It’s not just the D though, we were shocking all over the ice last night and tonight doesn’t sound much better (in fact listening to Lord’s interview tonight, it sounds a lot worse!). It’s all well and good getting up for the CHL games, but if players can’t handle the weekly grind of the EIHL, then they shouldn’t be here. You can’t afford to take a night off, never mind two in one weekend. Simply not good enough I’m afraid.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Congratulations to the Blaze. No surprise its the 'blue collar' teams getting the results this weekend(Blaze, Flyers, Stars and now Panthers) ... hard working, simple systems, tight chemistry. We used to be well known for that definition of style. Where has it gone? Looks at times Devils are trying to over complicate things by trying to make pretty and perfect plays. When it doesn't come off, frustration and ill discipline sets in.

We are sorely missing the genius of Joey Martin. We are sorely missing the speed and dual versitality that is Evan Mosey. We are sorely missing the calming influence and veteran experience/leadership of Tyson Strachan or Ben Blood.

And if there are players on the roster who are coasting in games, is this because they don't want to be here or because they don't understand or can't fulfill the role they have been asked to do?

Gough60

With Blair Riley getting injured in Saturdays game in 1st period, the team looked as if they were playing together for the first time.
I'm sure, having to once again shift lines around did not help. 2 players often getting in each others way.
Not saying that's he only reason for this weekends performance but couldn't have helped.

Swarley

I didn't get the stream on Sunday but I've read Lou's knee is causing problems after stopping the puck with it the other week and apparently Sointu left after the first period again?

If that's true we look like we are going to be missing Mosey, Martin, Riley, Louis and Sointu this weekend if Lou and Sointu haven't recovered we could be 5 players down which is a bit of a worry

bb1

This weekend nobody could have predicted. We looked well below an average team. In their defence Dixon and Benti worked their tails off as per usual.

Maramaki threw the odd big hit but was nowhere near as relentless as he was in the CHL. Duggan has well and truly gone into his shell and is a different player to the one we saw in the CHL.

Batch has been outstanding so far this season but like Duggan has gone back into his shell a bit. Its all a bit weird for me. Riley has been a huge loss but as soon as him and Martin are back then i'm afraid it looks like Pope will be the healthy scratch.

Our D does look shaky and yes I feel we are missing that Strachan/Blood type D man.

Jardine I feel will turn into a superb D man given time and he is a very good skater with good speed who can score too. I'm on the fence with Mcmonagle as he is the one with Euro experience but he just doesn't seem up to speed just yet. Hopefully he will get there and turn out to be a solid signing.

Temme

I didn't get the stream on Sunday but I've read Lou's knee is causing problems after stopping the puck with it the other week and apparently Sointu left after the first period again?

If that's true we look like we are going to be missing Mosey, Martin, Riley, Louis and Sointu this weekend if Lou and Sointu haven't recovered we could be 5 players down which is a bit of a worry
Sointu's contract comes to an end on Monday 30th September anyhow; i'm guessing Martin will be back the following week; Riley most probably this weekend, but unless there is an extension to his contract this weekend will be the final time we see him anyway.

tim78

For me Benti and Batch did well. Bowns was off his game at home on Sat, why we can't be fair and give him a rest allowing Murdy a shout grates on me.

Swarley

Sointu's contract comes to an end on Monday 30th September anyhow; i'm guessing Martin will be back the following week; Riley most probably this weekend, but unless there is an extension to his contract this weekend will be the final time we see him anyway.
I really hope they extend Sointus contract, more so if Riley and Martin are both out with injury.

kingmo19.1

Perhaps I’m missing something with Batch with everyone banging on he’s been brilliant! His +/- must be about -15! Yes, the odd hit here and there, but I feel that’s only being highlighted as a positive as we are a totally non physical team this year!

Perhaps I’m missing something with Batch with everyone banging on he’s been brilliant! His +/- must be about -15! Yes, the odd hit here and there, but I feel that’s only being highlighted as a positive as we are a totally non physical team this year!
You know you can look this stuff up now before making yourself look a fool? Batch over 3 CC games is -1 and on the 2 league -3. Only 2 pim total, yep not great but also far from the doom and gloom slating your giving him seeing as we have been on near permanent PK for 3 games.