Black Jersey Auction

jimmy snels

Wannabe2 said:
Electro said:
I guess my point is being lost, has nothing to do with how much cash a person has or how they're choosing to spend.

My point is, if someone paid £1k for a turd their crazy or ego's got in the way of commonsense.

It is the value others place on an item that can justify the cost, if only a minority of people want an item and are willing to pay far more than the majority, that makes it a crazy decision to overpay. Usually it's rarity against demand that drives value.

Hence the turd example.
What's a Devils shirt got to do with a Turd, now a Steelers shirt maybe.??????
Can i vote that come back for post of the year so far :lol: :lol:

Finny

Electro said:
I guess my point is being lost, has nothing to do with how much cash a person has or how they're choosing to spend.

My point is, if someone paid £1k for a turd their crazy or ego's got in the way of commonsense.

It is the value others place on an item that can justify the cost, if only a minority of people want an item and are willing to pay far more than the majority, that makes it a crazy decision to overpay. Usually it's rarity against demand that drives value.

Hence the turd example.
You're starting to sound like someone who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

Sometimes, you just can't put a value on sentiment. Many years ago I spent £500 on a Doug McEwen jersey. If I tried to sell it now I doubt it would get more than £50. But for me it's priceless and every time I look at it on my wall I'm reminded of that player and that season.

wildthing74

Finny said:
Electro said:

Hence the turd example.
You're starting to sound like someone who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

Sometimes, you just can't put a value on sentiment. Many years ago I spent £500 on a Doug McEwen jersey. If I tried to sell it now I doubt it would get more than £50. But for me it's priceless and every time I look at it on my wall I'm reminded of that player and that season.
spot on! The value and re-sale value are irrelevant.If you want a jersey for a specific reason then it's worth as much as you are willing to pay and if you don't intend selling which lots don't then how are you any worse off? The only jerseys I've paid crazy money for were the same reason that they remind me of a certain player or season and I would likely have gone higher on all of them to get it.

It's like saying buying a new car is stupid as they devalue more than most assets we will ever buy.If a guy can afford a Ferrari then good luck to him but he's no better than the guy buying a Fiesta he's doing what makes him happy.

Electro said:
If paying way more for a shirt than its value could ever be justified is your pleasure, then enjoy it.
Justified by who? Not your money. Was obviously justified by the person that bought it, and nearly so by the person/ people who were outbid - that's how auctions work.

You didn't bid, you didn't value it - doesn't mean it's not worth it.
I don't value expensive camera lenses ... my other half might disagree. ;)