Bili Tygri Liberec v Devils - Sat 26th Aug 2017 / 3.30pm

Kal

I'd write the Davos defeat off, we started bad and it totally threw us. We competed much better against Liberec it was 4-2 before an empty netter and 3-2 until we started taking more risks looking for an equaliser. I'll take that most days of the week.

Panthers proved last year that a successful team in Europe doesn't necessarily translate to a successful team in the UK. We've built a team to compete for the EIHL title not the CHL and i think we'll be more than capable domestically. I think we might beat Liberec at home and Davos won't have as easy a ride here. Vaxjo though is another animal we'll need to play a smart defensive game, something I don't feel this team has been built to do.

I thought you guys played pretty well against Liberec, certainly gave them a game! Just seemed to be another case of the opposition taking the 1st Period to figure out how you worked, what didn't work and then their coach probably demanding better through the 2nd, because who likes being shown up by a British team right?

The thing that a thought was weakest about Devils against Liberec was the physical play, during the 2nd and 3rd it just wasn't there. Liberec forwards were pulling all kinds of moves, pulling the D here, there and everywhere which left Bowns a bit in the dry. I feel that if Devils had have stepped up the physical play, they would have held the lead or maybe even increased it. You've got a lot of big defensemen and seeing them only really stick check and give little pushes to the forwards was disappointing. However, if you played the same way in the EIHL the tables would certainly not have turned in the speed they did yesterday. Liberec won the Czech league and lost in the Final of the Playoffs, they're a clinical team and made best of the opportunities they had.

Back in IAW, a really really hope you play the physical game the EIHL opposition are used to facing. EU refs are strict but they won't call hits unless they are late. EU teams can play physical but for some reason, they hate being played physical against, it's like they feel they are superior and the British teams are embarrassing them, it frustrates them. The key to playing physical is to be able to keep the head level, if anyone throws a glove punch or tries to ragdoll the other player, they will get penalised 99% of the time. Play physical, make them lose their heads and tire them out. IAW is a hard place to play in, you've got to make them pay and take it to them. Panthers were very physical against Mountfield and they didn't like it, Bern didn't like it either. It throws them off their natural game if they have a big burley Canadian breathing down their neck. Panthers took 11 penalties in the game last night, killed 10 of them and if Mountfield had been a little more clinical in their finishing, it could've easily been a different score, but they couldn't play the game they wanted due to the way Panthers played theirs. I'm not trying to big up Panthers, that's just how It was. Everytime there was a player rushing in for the rebound, they were faced with a heavy shoulder or thrown off balance. On the forecheck too, they didn't mess around too much because they knew our players would kill them if they did, puck pressure was constant.

On home ice, I think you guys will be much better. Get a good crowd, be loud and make IAW a very intimidating place for the opposition to play in. Play hard, be unforgiving and relentless, a 60 minute physical battle between Devils and Liberec, I'd have Devils winning every time. Against Davos? Not so sure, the Swiss are exceptional but what's the harm in trying? They'll probably be expecting to come to Cardiff and pull the same score they did in Davos, play the way Cardiff are known to play and it could be different. In theory, back in the UK we should have our own incompetent officials, so use that to the advantage too. Like the Swiss, Czech officials seemed to be more forgiving to their home teams.

You've gone from a hefty defeat, to giving the Czech Champions a game, that's great progress and I'm sure the progress will continue and a victory should not be dismissed, I've got faith in you guys.

august04

I'd write the Davos defeat off, we started bad and it totally threw us. We competed much better against Liberec it was 4-2 before an empty netter and 3-2 until we started taking more risks looking for an equaliser. I'll take that most days of the week.

Panthers proved last year that a successful team in Europe doesn't necessarily translate to a successful team in the UK. We've built a team to compete for the EIHL title not the CHL and i think we'll be more than capable domestically. I think we might beat Liberec at home and Davos won't have as easy a ride here. Vaxjo though is another animal we'll need to play a smart defensive game, something I don't feel this team has been built to do.
There's a huge difference between the teams that Panthers played last year in the Continental Cup to the teams they're playing (and competing with/beating) this year in the CHL. They've recruited very well over the summer, look to have improved vastly on last years team and I thought they looked good against us pre-season with multiple imports/ Perlini missing. For me, they are the team to beat this year. At this moment, I have reservations about one or two on the Devils roster that look a little out of their depth at CHL level (perhaps we shouldn't be surprised at that). It's only the start of the season though, time will tell if they're up to it I suppose.

davew

back in the UK we should have our own incompetent officials, so use that to the advantage too. Like the Swiss, Czech officials seemed to be more forgiving to their home teams.
I notice we have Darnell listed for the return leg, with a european ref, god knows how that will work out!

I thought you guys played pretty well against Liberec, certainly gave them a game! Just seemed to be another case of the opposition taking the 1st Period to figure out how you worked, what didn't work and then their coach probably demanding better through the 2nd, because who likes being shown up by a British team right?

The thing that a thought was weakest about Devils against Liberec was the physical play, during the 2nd and 3rd it just wasn't there. Liberec forwards were pulling all kinds of moves, pulling the D here, there and everywhere which left Bowns a bit in the dry. I feel that if Devils had have stepped up the physical play, they would have held the lead or maybe even increased it. You've got a lot of big defensemen and seeing them only really stick check and give little pushes to the forwards was disappointing. However, if you played the same way in the EIHL the tables would certainly not have turned in the speed they did yesterday. Liberec won the Czech league and lost in the Final of the Playoffs, they're a clinical team and made best of the opportunities they had.

Back in IAW, a really really hope you play the physical game the EIHL opposition are used to facing. EU refs are strict but they won't call hits unless they are late. EU teams can play physical but for some reason, they hate being played physical against, it's like they feel they are superior and the British teams are embarrassing them, it frustrates them. The key to playing physical is to be able to keep the head level, if anyone throws a glove punch or tries to ragdoll the other player, they will get penalised 99% of the time. Play physical, make them lose their heads and tire them out. IAW is a hard place to play in, you've got to make them pay and take it to them. Panthers were very physical against Mountfield and they didn't like it, Bern didn't like it either. It throws them off their natural game if they have a big burley Canadian breathing down their neck. Panthers took 11 penalties in the game last night, killed 10 of them and if Mountfield had been a little more clinical in their finishing, it could've easily been a different score, but they couldn't play the game they wanted due to the way Panthers played theirs. I'm not trying to big up Panthers, that's just how It was. Everytime there was a player rushing in for the rebound, they were faced with a heavy shoulder or thrown off balance. On the forecheck too, they didn't mess around too much because they knew our players would kill them if they did, puck pressure was constant.

On home ice, I think you guys will be much better. Get a good crowd, be loud and make IAW a very intimidating place for the opposition to play in. Play hard, be unforgiving and relentless, a 60 minute physical battle between Devils and Liberec, I'd have Devils winning every time. Against Davos? Not so sure, the Swiss are exceptional but what's the harm in trying? They'll probably be expecting to come to Cardiff and pull the same score they did in Davos, play the way Cardiff are known to play and it could be different. In theory, back in the UK we should have our own incompetent officials, so use that to the advantage too. Like the Swiss, Czech officials seemed to be more forgiving to their home teams.

You've gone from a hefty defeat, to giving the Czech Champions a game, that's great progress and I'm sure the progress will continue and a victory should not be dismissed, I've got faith in you guys.

I wouldn't get too disheartened if I were you guys, especially at this very early stage. Remember the scores from the Panthers' first CHL campaign? Lost 2-4, lost 1-10 (that was painful to watch in the NIC), lost 6-2, lost 9-1, WON 3-1 (a brilliant night!), lost 6-0. This is the reality of British teams in the CHL... we're cannon fodder, for the most part - at least on the first outing.

It's true that the coaching experience of Corey & Co. will have helped (plus a few Brits who played in the last CHL outing) ... next time you guys qualify, I bet you'll see an improvement. But overall the standard of EIHL teams is going up... it's been said that Mountfield took us for granted - I don't know if that's true or not, but if so - more fool them. Bern certainly didn't take it easy against us... that blistering speed (of skate and of decision) and their precise passing was very hard to overcome, but I think both teams learned that they had to step up very quickly - we surprised them, I think. The heartening thing for us Panthers fans was that our guys started off looking shell-shocked... but they rallied quickly, adapted to the opposition, and by the end of the first period looked a damned sight better (we were almost keeping up with them - almost!). Scoring 2 goals and keeping Bern scoreless in the 3rd period were major achievements.

Some of you have mentioned the speed... remember how fast Evan Mosey is? And close behind him are Lindhagen and new guy Mokshantsev. All night against Bern, I think they may have come close to winning a foot-race twice. That's the difference. But with effort, discipline (ours could have been better, although some of the refs' calls were farcical) and smart physicality - they can be made to suffer. Can't see Lord missing that lesson.

A tight defensive unit is going to be the key... frustrate them on that score, and all sorts of nice things can happen. Remember - they are expecting to be able to carve through British teams... and they don't like it when they can't. Mountfield lost their discipline after they went 0-3 down, and it cost them. Not having seen your matches, I can't judge - but I'm guessing that your D may need to play tighter and cover Bowns better... who, let's face it, can be stellar on his day - but against teams like this, that's not always enough. We partly got lucky in that regard... Garnett made a bunch of stops that he had absolutely no right to make... I was watching in amazement at times.

It will be interesting to see the difference in scores in the home matches... sadly, I suspect that they won't go as well for us (nobody is going to take us for granted now)... but it will be interesting to see how they cope at IAW. I have a suspicion that you may have more pleasing scorelines than last week... whether you'll manage a win or not is anybody's guess, but now's the time to go for it.

Good luck...

Gazr76

My 5 cents for what its worth. 1st period Cardiff did a great job of being physical. It totally knocked them off their game. Those big hits took them by surprise, and it stopped them opening up their game. I guess Cardiff couldnt keep playing this way as it would have potentially resulted in more penalties, and it was also taking it out of the Devils physically.
For me the turning point came when Pope got his penalty. I was sure Cardiff could have scored another one pretty soon and being 3-1 up might have changed things. But i doubt it.
End of the day, they are a very good hockey club. Speed, vision, they always seemed to find open spaces and pass the puck around. Tape to tape. Cardiff just kept making silly passes, giving the biscuit up when they were forechecking hard, and they just didnt get time on the puck like they usually do in The Eihl.
Cardiff shouldnt be too hard on themselves. Just look at their roster. Those guys are good and then some.

This is going to sound silly but these scorelines happen when a team actually attempts to play to win against a far superior opposition. Credit has to be given to the devils for going out there and trying to go toe to toe with these guys, but lets face it, it's Manchester United against Rhyl FC out there. Any team can turn up, put 5 guys on the blueline and clog the lanes all game. But all you are going to do is end up with a 3-4 nil scoreline and battered squad players because eventually, they will score. It's just a matter of when. To be honest, I'd rather see a 10-1 scoreline and a healthy team than a 3-0 with half of our squad battered from blocking shots all night.

Quite simply, there is a reason these guys are playing in the British leagues and not the Swiss/Del/KHL/AHL. The level of skating is the killer. It's not an exaggeration to say there are skaters in the NL that are literally twice as fast as some of our devils.

Ocko

We are to team built to do well in the EIHL but are too out of our depth at this level. I've said it before, we don't have enough footspeed in our D; Hotham, Paris, Louis and Reddick are too slow for CHL. EIHL they will be fine, Hotham and Paris in particular will be dominant but there is a reason these guys aren't playing at this level.

Is our conditioning right? We don't look a particularly fit team, a few are burning out far too early in the game. It's almost a shame the Panthers are doing so well as it's showing us up!

(That was tongue in cheek about the Panthers, I'm delighted at how well they're doing)

Wannabe2

The new Devils blog has an interesting take on it, we are simply not good enough. Very honest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not good enough against our European counterparts, we always knew that, most U.K. teams couldn't hold a candle to them, Panthers being the first exceptions to that. In our domestic league we will be just fine, of that I am convinced.

Not good enough against our European counterparts, we always knew that, most U.K. teams couldn't hold a candle to them, Panthers being the first exceptions to that. In our domestic league we will be just fine, of that I am convinced.
I've no doubt our season will be successful, how successful who knows, exciting yes, selling out the IAW yes. I had hoped though that some of the CHL games would have been more competitive, less embarrassing, after all 2 underdog teams beating expectations would have been better than one. It would also help to justify the pricing structure and attendance levels of the CHL games.

matbur

What's so different about the Panthers approach then??

Bowns or Murdy tonight?

Likely to face a barrage, I'd be inclined to take Bowns out of the firing line and give Murdy some CHL experience.

Bowns was great against Liberec despite shipping 7 goals, wouldn't like his confidence to be rocking going into new season

solelace84

It's hilarious how stupid everyone looks when writing off players/games before results like last night occur. Some people on here need to remember that they're not hockey experts [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hilarious how stupid everyone looks when writing off players/games before results like last night occur. Some people on here need to remember that they're not hockey experts [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmmm. It's not hilarious or stupid, people are allowed to voice an opinion. I believe the majority of experts including the Devils organisation would not have predicted that win yesterday. The Devils blog certainly stated we just not good enough.

I posted this on the 21/08 and got shot down, but hey, this is not about who is right or wrong.

I'm not so sure.

Anybody can beat anybody on the night, especially when different styles converge, add hunger into the mix, could go our way. It would be better had these games arrived in a few months time, that will be an issue for sure. I'm certainly not going to write off the Devils chances.

We beat Davos, that is the only point I'm interested in.