Bigger rink (in theory)

Hedd Wyn John

I know nothing about building but is it not possible to raise the roof of our arena and put an extra tier in?
You’d have to basically knock down the current arena and rebuild. There’s plenty of land adjacent to the IAW, so you could put the second rink ‘next door’ in an adjoining building and have a nice big multi-tier 5000-7000 seat rink in place of the current IAW.

Gospel

Cardiff Council have endorsed that Atlantic Wharf is the preferred option for the 15000 arena. Be interesting to see how they screw this up and how much the overall cost will be. Oh and how long it will all take!!

Wannabe2

Think it will Defo happen, releasing the very sought after Motorpoint site, think it will be a minimum of 5 yrs, with a cost of 100 million. All pure guesses.

pjj365

They have an outline budget in the public domain but have not started negotiations to buy the land and cannot do so yet because even the feasability study, let alone detailed planing, has not been commenced

Goodway dreams at the moment

Have Hope#35

I’m all for a big arena in Cardiff but think having it down the bay will be a transport nightmare. Centre of town would be better.
I actually think the selected location is the perfect spot! It'd be next to the Bowling/Cinema/Restaurants/Bars/Millenium Centre and the Bay in general... There are a few Hotels around there and would no doubt be 1 or 2 more if this takes off and you're only a 10-15min walk from Town with a Train link that if required could add some more Carriages? It would be much like the set up in Belfast which is fantastic imo!

pjj365

I actually think the selected location is the perfect spot! It'd be next to the Bowling/Cinema/Restaurants/Bars/Millenium Centre and the Bay in general... There are a few Hotels around there and would no doubt be 1 or 2 more if this takes off and you're only a 10-15min walk from Town with a Train link that if required could add some more Carriages? It would be much like the set up in Belfast which is fantastic imo!
Don't disagree with this but what about all the nearby flats - both current and proposed. Parking is also an issue if the Red Dragon Centre one is built on

Still typical of the Council spreading joy and alarm in equal measure before a feasibility study has been done, before plans have been produced and before it goes for planning

With Cardiff's track record on this type of development anything can happen

Have Hope#35

Don't disagree with this but what about all the nearby flats - both current and proposed. Parking is also an issue if the Red Dragon Centre one is built on

Still typical of the Council spreading joy and alarm in equal measure before a feasibility study has been done, before plans have been produced and before it goes for planning

With Cardiff's track record on this type of development anything can happen
I understand your concern re: residents... That's a hard one as with these multi purpose venues there's often Apartments built as part of such a development - I certainly can't see it preventing a scheme like this going ahead! Parking will be reviewed as part of the scheme, I assume there will still be surface parking around it and guess that more will be provided (possibly on the County Hall land). Am I also right in thinking that there's a multi-storey car park behind the Millenium Centre that isn't fully utilised with unused land around it?

pjj365

I understand your concern re: residents... That's a hard one as with these multi purpose venues there's often Apartments built as part of such a development - I certainly can't see it preventing a scheme like this going ahead! Parking will be reviewed as part of the scheme, I assume there will still be surface parking around it and guess that more will be provided (possibly on the County Hall land). Am I also right in thinking that there's a multi-storey car park behind the Millenium Centre that isn't fully utilised with unused land around it?
You are right about parking at the moment but the land adjacent to the multi story is being built on - the biggest Premier Inn in the UK apparently

As to habitation preventing the scheme going ahead - you are right. Nevertheless, lack of consideration here is just an example of Russell Goodway's approach (learnt from Jack Books) of governing for the people not with the people (see the Lyons report)

In any event what will be will be

Have Hope#35

You are right about parking at the moment but the land adjacent to the multi story is being built on - the biggest Premier Inn in the UK apparently

As to habitation preventing the scheme going ahead - you are right. Nevertheless, lack of consideration here is just an example of Russell Goodway's approach (learnt from Jack Books) of governing for the people not with the people (see the Lyons report)

In any event what will be will be
You are correct about the Premier Inn... Wasn't sure if that would come with more parking!? The whole area around there is under review at the moment so it could be an interesting few years. Not ideal if you live around there but it will always be a development hotspot! I'm not sure our Council is any worse or better at informing residents of goings-on than any other... That's just a Council thing ;)