Bigger rink (in theory)

Wannabe2

Blues are looking at the land on Dumbells road which is one of the sites the council were looking at for the 15k Arena, so close enough to walk into town etc and bus/train links etc. For me that's a great spot
Myself I don’t think the blues will move in a month of Sundays, they may need a temporary place when the Millenium converts their North Stand, but I reckon that will be at Leckwith Athletics ground, and who knows when that will be.

dave

True, I think it is a bluff as the AGM of CAC is soon. But if they stay the Bowl in Principality will not be done as that is not in the blues plans for refitting CAP.

Wannabe2

Do we want to be dictated to, about when we can play, and when we can’t. We wouldn’t have much say in matters, obviously the capacity would be huge, but so would the rent. We all realise our place could be outgrown soon, but is it better to be in charge with the Devil you know, or take a chance with the Devils you don’t.

wildthing74

Wether or not we would ever be big enough to play out of the new arena this is a must for a city of our size.A huge arena is a game changer in terms of what extra business and events it will bring to the city.We are a capital city and one of the biggest in the U.K. and it's probably the only facility we are missing and we go alongside the other world class facilities we boast.

Having seen some of the drawn out sagas where our council hasn't delivered I would be shocked if it's as soon as they suggest but what a dream it would be to at least one day be able to fill the lower tier and have a crowd of 8k or so watching the Devils.
Clearly that size arena is too big for a U.K. hockey team and not sustainable but it used to be amazing going to the the MEN when Storm could get 5 figure crowds.

In a perfect world we would own and play out of a facility that is the right size but another option in a few years can only be a good thing.

solelace84

I'm always sceptical when it comes to these regular council announcements re. new, impressive arenas. Bristol City Council have been talking about one for around 10 years, and it has still never materialised. Would be great for Cardiff if it did happen within the next 2 years, but I'm not holding my breath ...

wildthing74

Agreed you only have to look at how long they took with Cardiff City,our rink and the central bus station to see no point having a lot of faith in them.

Ocko

Do we want to be dictated to, about when we can play, and when we can’t. We wouldn’t have much say in matters, obviously the capacity would be huge, but so would the rent. We all realise our place could be outgrown soon, but is it better to be in charge with the Devil you know, or take a chance with the Devils you don’t.
Yes. Absolutely, if it means we grow the Cardiff Devils brand.

We will still have IAW to fall back on. But currently it's too small. 15k is too big for hockey in this country, however who's to say that 15k doesn't include floor level seating, which in reality will mean it will be nearer 10k. If there's a GM in the league who can fill a rink that size it's Kelman. Think of what he managed in Belfast with the Bruins. Get an ice plant in a 10k seat in Cardiff and I'd be amazed if something similar doesn't happen. Also the playoffs, NIC is too small, Sheffield not really good enough and a crap location so nowhere else to go. 10k arena down the Bay (the proper bit not the crap wasteland we are on) would be very attractive for that. The location of Atlantic Wharf, mentioned in the article would make it just like Belfast on terms of amenities nearby which is perfect.

At the moment I imagine we are very healthy financially, compared to our rivals Belfast, Nottingham and Sheffield. But that is more to do with their lack of marketing ability. If Sheffield really gambled and pushed and hit their 9k crowds regularly they should blow us out of the water financially, especially if they have a good deal with the arena, as is rumoured under their new contract.

The problem we face is that this is as good as it'll get both financially and in terms of presence in the city. We've reached our peak which is perfect at this moment, but will it be forever? The sport is growing, slowly, but still growing. I don't want it to be a closed shop where only regulars are involved. There is also the junior development aspect, 3k fans will bring in a % of juniors proportional to that. Double that and you will find far more juniors.

I get the reservations over ice availability, but other teams make it work. It's more difficult but so what? That's not our problem. That's for the EIHL fixtures meeting to sort out. Other teams manage so we shouldn't be any different.

No brainer for me. IAW is too small already. And actually will serve a greater purpose in terms of "all ice users" if the Devils are predominantly elsewhere, I'm sure figure skaters, rec teams, junior and NIHL would love those prime Saturday and Sunday evening slots.

I'm always sceptical when it comes to these regular council announcements re. new, impressive arenas. Bristol City Council have been talking about one for around 10 years, and it has still never materialised. Would be great for Cardiff if it did happen within the next 2 years, but I'm not holding my breath ...
Russell Goodway seems to be the one who's pushing strongly for the new arena. I think he's one of the main people at the council who can actually deliver things. He seems to have recently pushed the bus station scheme forward after it stalled. If the funding's in place then I'm sure they'll want to get it done as soon as possible, to get a head start on any Bristol offering (which I think is on hold again, as they're considering another site away from the city centre).
Even if the funding was already available it's likely to be at least 3 years until any new Cardiff arena opens.
I guess it would be pretty expensive to rent the place, but some big games against the likes of Sheffield/Belfast/Nottingham could make it financially viable, maybe. I think most games would still be played at the IAW.

Mazzoak

The aerial shot of the currrent Motorpoint arena in that article certainly looks like an ice arena. They move to the new arena, we move into that building and the IAW can be a block of flats.

solelace84

Russell Goodway seems to be the one who's pushing strongly for the new arena. I think he's one of the main people at the council who can actually deliver things. He seems to have recently pushed the bus station scheme forward after it stalled. If the funding's in place then I'm sure they'll want to get it done as soon as possible, to get a head start on any Bristol offering (which I think is on hold again, as they're considering another site away from the city centre).
Even if the funding was already available it's likely to be at least 3 years until any new Cardiff arena opens.
I guess it would be pretty expensive to rent the place, but some big games against the likes of Sheffield/Belfast/Nottingham could make it financially viable, maybe. I think most games would still be played at the IAW.
I suppose it wouldn't make sense for there to be two arenas of that scale so close together (Cardiff and Bristol). Bands/sporting events, or whatever else, would probably be likely to choose one or the other, and not both! If it turns out that the wheels are in motion with this new arena in Cardiff I will be surprised, but pleasantly surprised! Imagine a 15k capacity venue packed out for playoff weekend! That would be a spectacle.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

kingmo19.1

I bet Greenbank are hoping the Devils move to another arena which also offers public skating! Any need then for IAW? Nope, down it comes and up go a fair few more houses !

pjj365

I agree with solelace84 two arenas so close together does not make sense but that probably means Cardiff will build one to open as a white elephant after Bristol has opened.

2 years do all the prep work including planning and allowing for objections seems remarkably optimistic even for Cardiff Council so let's not dream too much and enjoy IAW

Hedd Wyn John

All valid points but there’s no growth potential for the IAW so when planning for the future we need to look bigger.