Best 3rd line in the league??

ASHIPP said:
ASHIPP said:
zoesdevil said:
Also I think Macrae is like a silent ninja as I think he is another player I have been very impressed with but hasn't had the recognition he's deserved!!??
And we haven't seen the best of Stuart yet - just wait till he really gets going! Many more goals to come. Before his first goal, he was still a major contributor with assists, and with the work rate of Tylor(if that's possible!). Sam, although less experienced, has slotted in well on that line - 2 goals and several assists already. :cool:
From Elite League website, points table:

Adding up all points scored so far by players in 3rd line of teams mentioned on this thread:

Belfast (Welch/Peacock/Garside) = 23
Coventry (Selmser/Nell/Farmer) = 25
Cardiff (Michel/McCrae/Smith) = 31 :cool:
Sheffield (Tait/Dowd/Hewitt) = 35
Is Tait on the 3rd line ?
In fact your 3rd line is the one with the most imports, (whos buying the league :lol: )
Points fair enough but if you go on goals, which is a bit more meaningful

Giants-9
Devils-10
Coventry-7 (farmers only played twice)
Shuff-13

and "checks calender" its only October, bit early to be worrying about whos got the best third line, this will be interesting to look at after Christmas though.

ASHIPP

jester said:
ASHIPP said:
From Elite League website, points table:

Adding up all points scored so far by players in 3rd line of teams mentioned on this thread:

Belfast (Welch/Peacock/Garside) = 23
Coventry (Selmser/Nell/Farmer) = 25
Cardiff (Michel/McCrae/Smith) = 31 :cool:
Sheffield (Tait/Dowd/Hewitt) = 35
In fact your 3rd line is the one with the most imports, (whos buying the league :lol: )
Points fair enough but if you go on goals, which is a bit more meaningful

Giants-9
Devils-10
Coventry-7 (farmers only played twice)
Shuff-13

and "checks calender" its only October, bit early to be worrying about whos got the best third line, this will be interesting to look at after Christmas though.
If you're that not interested, why bother to study,quote and comment on the statistics?

Now you really are splitting hairs, Jester! 'Points fair enough, but if you go on goals, which is a bit more meaningful' - what absolute twaddle! The points tally is equally as meaningful a way of illustrating the effectiveness of a line. :roll: And , when I last checked, players are awarded points for assists as well as goals.
Perhaps we better have a word with the Elite League website who seem to deem both goals and assists as important in their 'scorers' league table. ;)
You're right, it is early in the season, but interesting to see which players are already productive.

I would say that goals give a better overview of a lines effectiveness. If one line scored three goals, with the other two line mates assisting that is nine points.

If another line scores nine goals unassisted or with assists from the D surely that has contributed far more for the same nine points?

Even points can not be used as evidence as to who has the best 3rd line, as most players interchange in games and play on special lines as well as maybe covering on other lines if injuries or such occur, so there points do not always come from playing on there usual line.. Plus Giants fan will say the Giants line of Welch, Garside, Peacock is the best in the League, as will Devils for there's, Steelers for there's, Panthers, Blaze ect.. There's no way of proving it though. I know I would not swap our 3rd line for any other the way they are playing at the minute, and it's a big reason why we are top of the table at the minute....

ASHIPP

bluedevil said:
I would say that goals give a better overview of a lines effectiveness. If one line scored three goals, with the other two line mates assisting that is nine points.

If another line scores nine goals unassisted or with assists from the D surely that has contributed far more for the same nine points?

That's true, but unfortunately the player table on the Elite league website can't illustrate HOW those goals/assists were achieved i.e. whether it was from 2 players from the same line, or with defence players or as part of a special team.

We can only look the individual player points and add them up for each player on that line. Granted it may not properly illustrate that line, playing together, is 'best', but it can still serve to measure player effectiveness and productivity because whichever way they contribute, they are rewarded with points for goals/assists.

Even then points or goals on the EIHL website may not be accurate in that a 3rd liner may have shifted on another line and scored or assisted.

Im not trying to split hairs Ash I just think youll get a better view after Xmas.

IMO goals are a better stat than assists because lets be fair a pass from behind your own goal to a player stood on your own blue line is an assist

wildthing74

jester said:

IMO goals are a better stat than assists because lets be fair a pass from behind your own goal to a player stood on your own blue line is an assist
Got to agree.If you can get your 3 forwards on the 3rd line in double figures you should have a decent season.You got 2 of them to near 20 and you should be top 3.

ASHIPP

jester said:
Even then points or goals on the EIHL website may not be accurate in that a 3rd liner may have shifted on another line and scored or assisted.

Im not trying to split hairs Ash I just think youll get a better view after Xmas.

Can't argue with those points!

jester said:
Yup, definitely.

Tonight's game... Hewitt (Dowd, Tait) 19:46

Although Tait is on the 1st PP unit with Simon, Talbot and Legue. Dowd is on the 2nd/3rd PP unit. Needless to say I still think it's the best 3rd line in the league! :lol:

ASHIPP

Holl_5 said:
jester said:
Yup, definitely.

Tonight's game... Hewitt (Dowd, Tait) 19:46

Although Tait is on the 1st PP unit with Simon, Talbot and Legue. Dowd is on the 2nd/3rd PP unit. Needless to say I still think it's the best 3rd line in the league! :lol:
That's right, even if you combine their individual goals/assists/points, those players are ahead of the 3rd line players mentioned so far..... although certain teams have a game or two in hand! ;)