Ben O’Connor released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazzoak

As conspiracy theories go this one is definitely right up there, it really wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in orange on Saturday with how this season has gone so far lol.
A few salty Steelers fans warned he was a changing room rat, the ego far outweighed the skills, which led to some pretty poor colleague relations. Might explain the sudden career change with little comment.

Steelers had the best of BOC. Devils had the worst of him. A strange signing in the first place. A defensive liability I hate to say and makes it even more important that British players who are signed are performing well. Even Steelers fans had fallen out of love with his contribution.

Now, if we want a player who earns his keep..... when Panthers' Covid restrictions are over, Todd could play a blinder and bring Matthew Myers home where he belongs, at Cardiff Devils. A classy veteran who still 'has it' and knows how to boss the show. Oh, and make him Captain too.
I agree with this. I like Richie a lot but I think Myers would be a more impactful captain.

Dupont had good stats though
I understand that stats can be misleading but they are on completely different playing fields. 265 more NHL games (drafted 15th overall) as well as 119 KHL games, averaging almost a point a game in the AHL and 4 years younger. Peter would be a very welcomed addition but think his CV will see him play in a higher league.

Until the puck drops tomorrow and he's not there I've just got the feeling at some point before the game we'll get a "Welcome back to Sheffield Ben O'Connor, first game is against former club the Cardiff Devils", maybe because of who it is most of us have this thought in our mind :D. It just feels like its going to happen, and he'll probably bloody score.

Swarley

Until the puck drops tomorrow and he's not there I've just got the feeling at some point before the game we'll get a "Welcome back to Sheffield Ben O'Connor, first game is against former club the Cardiff Devils", maybe because of who it is most of us have this thought in our mind :D. It just feels like its going to happen, and he'll probably bloody score.
If O'connor turns up today in an orange Jersey I hope one of ours absolutely pastes him to the point he's too afraid to step back onto the ice.

Paul Sullivan

OT. Each to their own and I am a Myers fan, but not only am I personally very happy with our C I think it is both naive and disrespectful to say he could be drag and dropped out of the leadership role on the team. You can give all the speeches you like for example but it doesn't make you Mark Messier. Just Ask Danny Meyers. We call him the perfect human for a reason. :cool:

moggy#9

82 games 66 points across 2 Denmark seasons is 'ok' - definitely not top line #1 center EIHL center stats though.
I'm always somewhat suspicious of stats from the likes of the Danish and French leagues. From what I've seen off teams from those leagues they're not quite as good as our league. When taking about a player's CV, their past record is no indicator of future performance, particularly if they're on the down slope of their career.

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #94
I'm always somewhat suspicious of stats from the likes of the Danish and French leagues. From what I've seen off teams from those leagues they're not quite as good as our league. When taking about a player's CV, their past record is no indicator of future performance, particularly if they're on the down slope of their career.
We definitely recruited a number of players on past CVs this year unfortunately most of them appear to be well on a downward slope.

tim78

With the Covid issues surely it's more sense to have a competative team and not blow too much on a championship team that may not finish the season. I think if the League can get to the end of Jan then maybe a new signing for injury cover.

I think Craig Moore would be better than Myers at this point.,

moggy#9

Why would Matt Myers want to play for Cardiff after they abandoned him? No chance.
i know he has a business here but that is taken care of.
I've said it before, never go back. Other than players who left when they were young, I can only think of one case where it's worked. That was Steve Moria, who returned to a much different team and league.

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #98
I've said it before, never go back. Other than players who left when they were young, I can only think of one case where it's worked. That was Steve Moria, who returned to a much different team and league.
Myers would be a good fit for the Devils right now. I wouldn't blame him for not coming back.

moggy#9

Even if Matt Myers wanted to come back, which I seriously doubt, it's a short term solution (which I know it's arguably what's necessary), but if this season is a loss, we need to be putting pieces in place to rebuild. At the moment, if we want a British replacement, I'd favour bringing harewood in full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.