Belfast v ausburger

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
I think that Belfast might find their style of game less effective against DEL opposition. Look to be on the back foot and 1-0 down.

Imp

Any EIHL team doing well in CHL helps Devils on some level. We're probably still a long way from getting a second automatic place, but better EIHL results (eventually?) makes it easier for us to qualify. Improvements in the perception of the league make it easier to recruit and hold on to quality players. Small gains.

Besides, the better they are, the more fun it is to beat them.

moggy#9

Thread starter #6
I think that at times in the first Belfast were a bit tactically naive. They seem to be getting caught by neutral zone traps and coughing up the pick in their own zone.

jenks33

If Pope thinks there’s a hooligan mentality to some UK hockey fans I hope he never plays in Germany. Augsburger fans are nuts!

jenks33

Could have gone either way that one. Another good performance from Belfast. Farnham is going to be interesting this year. There’s something of the Devin Didiomete about him. Clearly a better player than deeds but there’s definitely a screw loose there. Marjamaki needs to get under his skin when we play them

Pope#42

Feel really sorry for Belfast tonight - they deserved the win in my opinion but to take a team like that to overtime is amazing.

This Belfast team looks really good though and I can’t wait to see them in our barn. Wronka is a beauty to watch and Reddox has been unlucky not to get a goal so far.

august04

The call could have gone either way, it was so close. I thought it should have been given because the on ice call was a goal and the video evidence looked unclear to me (from the tv feeds). Under those circumstances the on ice call should stand in my opinion.

Imp

In the end it seems to be accurate.

Still never happy with a call taking that long to make. If it's not so obviously wrong that the replay doesn't show it almost immediately, then I'd rather they just went with the call on the ice and got on with things.

In a lot of cases (not necessarily ice hockey) video review has just become another delaying tactic. Great if you get the call overturned but either way you have killed their momentum.

Pope#42

I agree it could have gone either way but I thought the goal should have been given. The tv footage wasn’t clear enough to show the point in which the puck made contact with the stick - so the on ice call should have stood. Perhaps the referees have access to a different angle or a slower replay?

moggy#9

Thread starter #19
What was the view on the strength of draw: Belfast's group vs Cardiff's group?
I don't know enough about the various leagues to answer that. I'd honestly expected a DEL team to murder Belfast. All credit to them to get to OT though. Tomorrow is going to be fascinating given the Graz performance in Sweden.

The_Puck

I wanted Belfast to win tonight but I did laugh when the goal got disallowed. The perfect karma from laptop gate last year and Farnhams celebration when pushing over one of their players when skating past the benches.