Belfast @ Augsburg

KaneDevils

We were confirmed to CHL before the PlayOffs

On Devilssatw - my son who would (to be trendy) die in a ditch for Liverpool will, along with many of his fellow supporters, cheer on any UK team if the 'pool are not involved
I always support the British teams too. Guys at work the same.
Devilsatw - yes I'm clever and your sarcastic. You even managed to miss the point.

ASHIPP

All a bit silly and parochial - surely any team doing well in the CHL is promoting the best our national league can offer? Players put themselves in the 'shop window'. Devils and Giants are drawing the same attention to our league. It shows the bigger leagues that we can compete despite the differential in experience, salaries, roster size. And for Team GB, key British players get to pit their skills against the best in Europe... Great for our national team.
Gutted for the Giants - they know how Devils felt in the first year of CHL participation. Got no doubt they will be back in it next year, and better prepared, and hopefully better disciplined.

Devils86

All a bit silly and parochial - surely any team doing well in the CHL is promoting the best our national league can offer? Players put themselves in the 'shop window'. Devils and Giants are drawing the same attention to our league. It shows the bigger leagues that we can compete despite the differential in experience, salaries, roster size. And for Team GB, key British players get to pit their skills against the best in Europe... Great for our national team.
Gutted for the Giants - they know how Devils felt in the first year of CHL participation. Got no doubt they will be back in it next year, and better prepared, and hopefully better disciplined.
They’ll probably have to win the league to get back into the CHL - I won’t be supportive of THAT.

It’s a long way back for them but they aren’t out until they are out.

Devilsatw - people used to/sometimes still do make the argument that in football the Champions League shouldn’t be named as such because runners up etc are allowed entry. I think the quality (and economic value) of that competition is hugely boosted by the participation of more of the top teams from across Europe.

Arguing that only the champions should get in means that we wouldn’t have entered this year...and nobody wants that? Would you rather we were in the Continental Cup instead of the Panthers?

We

We get 2 teams in there every year anyways. Unless the same team wins league and playoffs.

I understand people want to see our league get recognised etc but it’s called
CHAMPIONS HOCKEY LEAGUE.
It’s not for teams finishing 2-3-4th etc

So are you saying we shouldn't be in it after finishing second? Not having a dig, just interested?

I have no problem with the way it’s run and how many teams from each country enter,
My argument is it’s called chl for a reason.
So why have 3/4/5 teams from the same league it don’t make sense.

And I will not cheer any team other than devils no matter what..

You don’t see Man U supporting Liverpool.
Or wales cheering England.

Sorry that’s just stupid imo

Actually a lot of England, Scotland and Ireland supporters cheered our footy lads on in the euros when we went further and also in the Rugby World Cup last time around so I don't see much of an argument there! Granted not all fans but in general we all tend to support British teams success over other nations. Just look at the olympics....would you only support Welsh (British) athletes or would you support Great Britain?

James

Administrator
Were we not in the CHL I'd feel happier supporting Belfast. We are however competing against them, even if we are in different groups.

Devils86

I’m not actively supporting Giants (urgh!) but by congratulating their achievements and not rubbing it in their face when they fall short it’s elevating oneself above the nasty tit-for-tat on social media.

I’d like the Giants to give a respectable showing of themselves, but not make it out of their group - for the sole reason that Giants fans would be insufferable if they did at the first time of asking.

If they can do a decent job and leave with heads held high then that can only benefit the EIHL. Obviously the best way (IMO) for the EIHL to benefit is for us to get out of our group...

Couldn’t bring myself to support them. I’d be happier if they didn’t win a single game.

Their supporters, like many of ours (but they’re our fans so we have to put up with them), are unbearable after a run of the mill win, let alone a significant one.

If Devils weren’t in it, I would absolutely still feel the same; I’d hope they get cricket scored. All this hockey family, all one league etc makes me cringe. I hate Belfast and almost any other team in the EIHL, if I don’t hate them it’s probably because they’re crap.

Devils86

Couldn’t bring myself to support them. I’d be happier if they didn’t win a single game.

Their supporters, like many of ours (but they’re our fans so we have to put up with them), are unbearable after a run of the mill win, let alone a significant one.

If Devils weren’t in it, I would absolutely still feel the same; I’d hope they get cricket scored. All this hockey family, all one league etc makes me cringe. I hate Belfast and almost any other team in the EIHL, if I don’t hate them it’s probably because they’re crap.
Made me laugh. At least you are honest.

tim78

So we need a love hate table each season

1st place is always the Devils
2nd pretty much always Dundee, due to the webcast commentators, not finishing in the top 5 and a family business.
3rd Glasgow, for the purple army alone.
|
v
8th Sheffield
9th Coventry (sorry wag, not you just past comments and the closest team).
10th Belfast (Though loved the passion and anger in the playoffs, so like stoking the fire to carry it on)

jenks33

I find it hard to root for Belfast to be honest. And I would also find it hard to root for Sheffield. I don’t mind Nottingham, when we were in the CHL with them I was pleased to see them do well. Don’t get me wrong I totally get why others want the other EIHL teams to do well in Europe. Good on you for being the bigger person. For anybody that’s on twitter though and sees the vitriol tweeted by Giants and Steelers fans about the devils I don’t think any of our fans should get criticised for not wanting those 2 teams to do well. Is it a bit thin skinned? Yeah probably. But wanting the Giants to do well in the CHL because it might (probably won’t) lead to extra league sponsorship is not easy as a devils fan in my opinion. Each to their own though.

hip check

Difficult to support a rival I must admit but when a game's over at the Viola and the away teams doing there lap of the ice I always clap them, it's a physical sport with not a lot of much in the way of renumeration, they're representing the EIHL as well as themselves so I was happy to see them put up some good performances.

Rich Best

Actually a lot of England, Scotland and Ireland supporters cheered our footy lads on in the euros when we went further and also in the Rugby World Cup last time around so I don't see much of an argument there! Granted not all fans but in general we all tend to support British teams success over other nations. Just look at the olympics....would you only support Welsh (British) athletes or would you support Great Britain?
I personally could never, ever support England in the rugby. The thought of them winning the world cup sickens me!

However, I would support any eihl team (not playing us) in the CHL, other than Steelers of course! Steelers, like England rugby, are a team I could never, ever support. The history and rivalry just cuts too deep for me!

jenks33

It's not about rooting for them. You dont have to swing from the chandelier if they score, but surely you would rather see a British team, from our league, win over a team we know little about from Denmark, eg.
Holy mother of God.
I think this is my issue. By saying “Holy mother of God” it’s clearly a topic that riles you. As a Devils fan I don’t get why you care so much about the Giants in Europe. I’ve said that i haven’t been rooting for the giants in Europe but it doesn’t particularly bother me that much, Whether they Win or lose. I get the argument of rooting for Belfast because it might mean more sponsorship to the league, that’s a fair point that a few people have commented on. But your argument is that all devils fans should wish them well because they’re British. Ive never bought into that mindset in any sport but that’s just me. As I said earlier, each to their own.

If anything I look at it completely differently. If Belfast win I have to trawl through positive Belfast related posts on social media - a team I don’t particularly care for. If Augsburger or Liberec win they are teams that mean absolutely nothing to me.

I’ve admitted that it probably is a bit childish and a bit thin skinned but it’s a game of hockey at the end of the day. I don’t think not rooting for a British team is shocking and I’m not sure the devils fans that have been supporting Belfast in the CHL need to be getting annoyed with the devils fans that aren’t.

KaneDevils

I think this is my issue. By saying “Holy mother of God” it’s clearly a topic that riles you. As a Devils fan I don’t get why you care so much about the Giants in Europe. I’ve said that i haven’t been rooting for the giants in Europe but it doesn’t particularly bother me that much, Whether they Win or lose. I get the argument of rooting for Belfast because it might mean more sponsorship to the league, that’s a fair point that a few people have commented on. But your argument is that all devils fans should wish them well because they’re British. Ive never bought into that mindset in any sport but that’s just me. As I said earlier, each to their own.

If anything I look at it completely differently. If Belfast win I have to trawl through positive Belfast related posts on social media - a team I don’t particularly care for. If Augsburger or Liberec win they are teams that mean absolutely nothing to me.

I’ve admitted that it probably is a bit childish and a bit thin skinned but it’s a game of hockey at the end of the day. I don’t think not rooting for a British team is shocking and I’m not sure the devils fans that have been supporting Belfast in the CHL need to be getting annoyed with the devils fans that aren’t.
Riles me? No. Surprises me? Yes. Personally, when I watch a game as a neutral, I pick a team. If it was giants vs an Italian team or a swedish team, I'd pick Belfast. I mean, why not? A league game, and I'd probably go for the opposition for obvious reasons. I'd say more people seem riled with the argument against my opinion. I sense the football fan mindset that has almost put me off the sport completely. All this I'm English I hate Wales, and vice versa. That riles me.

KaneDevils

I personally could never, ever support England in the rugby. The thought of them winning the world cup sickens me!

However, I would support any eihl team (not playing us) in the CHL, other than Steelers of course! Steelers, like England rugby, are a team I could never, ever support. The history and rivalry just cuts too deep for me!
What do you do if an English player scores for the devils or for your football team?

Wannabe2

Riles me? No. Surprises me? Yes. Personally, when I watch a game as a neutral, I pick a team. If it was giants vs an Italian team or a swedish team, I'd pick Belfast. I mean, why not? A league game, and I'd probably go for the opposition for obvious reasons. I'd say more people seem riled with the argument against my opinion. I sense the football fan mindset that has almost put me off the sport completely. All this I'm English I hate Wales, and vice versa. That riles me.
With you 100%, spot on.