Bad news for the Devils?

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
Firstly i'd like to congratulate Cardiff City on a great win last night and wish them all the best in the play-off final. However I was wondering what people's thoughts are on the fact that Cardiff City could be in the Premiership next season and the consquent impact this may have on Devils season ticket sales and match day ticket sales? Whilst i'm not a City fan - I do like to see them do well; however I think City in the premiership is bad news for the Devils and will hit revenue hard. Just my thoughts, but wondered what others thought about this?

Rempel16

It is great news for the City so far (job only half done though).

However, I believe they've been having very good crowds all season and it hasn't affected the Devils attendances. They can only fill the stadium each week and they are not too far away from that as it is.

I don't think Premiership football will affect the Devils to be honest. In fact, if they keep the great ties they have with Cardiff City they could actually benefit from it.

Ger-Devils

I'm a season ticket holder for Devils and Cardiff City and don't think it will change the fans much. Kick off times will be different but there will be rarely midweek games and normally a Sat/Sun game and maybe the odd Monday so the Devils crowds shouldn't be affected

My concern is that people only have a finite amount of disposable cash. How many City fans would choose a season ticket for premiership football over the Devils?

Koop11

I have thought of this myself and you could argue either way. The disposable cash scenario, certainly at a time of coming out of a deep recession, could be a problem. People have to prioritise their spending. I myself can’t afford to go watch the City and Devils each week (as much as I would like to). If City do make the Prem then don’t be surprised to see many fans prioritise their Saturday but taking the family to City v Chelsea and not Devils v Hull.

That said, Cardiff City making the premiership really does put this great city on the map and the more investment into Cardiff as a whole the better that is for all our leisure in the region, including the Devils. The growth in sport development in South Wales over the last few years has been fantastic and the Devils involvement in Sport Cardiff should benefit greatly from the possible success of City.

There has always been this culture of if you support one sport in your area then you are against others doing well as this can hinder your club’s reputation. The City v Blues is a classic example of this. I personally find it pathetic and we should be encouraging all teams in all sports in our region to do well and should work together to promote each other. The Devils have built good links with Cardiff City over the last couple of years and now more than ever we should be working with them. Likewise them working with us and other sporting teams in the area.

I do think certain games could affect our attendances but I do think there is a real opportunity here also.

By the way, well done City. That was a nail biting game last night. Fully deserved it over two legs. Go Bluebirds!

Great work for City to get this far, Wembley twice in 2 years. Best of luck in the final.
I'm looking forward being able to see my beloved Stoke City play round the corner from my house again!

I shouldn't think it will have much of an impact on tickets to the Devils. Might be a problem if a big game (top 4 opposition at home, a sky game or key game in the push for a top 4 finish (you never know! :D ) clashes with a Devils game tho.

...Although it should be said that off the top of my head i can't think of a city with both an Elite League team and a Premier League team.

DevilDom

Thread starter #9
Gingers Husband said:
My concern is that people only have a finite amount of disposable cash. How many City fans would choose a season ticket for premiership football over the Devils?
This was the point I was trying to make.

dave

DevilDom said:
Gingers Husband said:
This was the point I was trying to make.
AS my brother said last night
"City go up and I get my season ticket money back and then may get one for the Devils"
I think a lot of city fans took up that offer so their may be a lot of city fans with more disposable cash...

zoesdevil

I think it will help the devils get more people in the doors as if they are going to watch the game and the cardiff devils were just up the road playing on the same night just after the football finished i would definately go to watch them play wether i have seen them before or not especially for less than £15 a ticket, wot a bargain!! even away fans will probably think the same thing especially if there staying over a night!! but thats just my opinion,not sure who'de agree!!!

Ger-Devils

10000 took the money back offer up in December. So average £330 back if we make it to the prem. As I said earlier, the ground will only be 10% avail to non season ticket holders I assume. We're up to 16k so far and expect them to take it up to 22k if we get there.

No panic really as I'm sure a deal can be snapped up between the city and devils to offer a discount or something to fans?

Finny

I thought you couldn't buy season tickets anymore if we went up?

It might have an effect, but for every negative there is a positive.

This season it wasn't too expensive to buy a family ticket for 1 game in the Championship. In the Premiership, they are likley to sell games in pairs or bundles to stop people buying just a ticket for someone good like Chelsea, and then lots of empty seats when we play someone rubbish like.... Liverpool.

Ice Hockey might become a far more affordable sporting event compared to football. You might also see companies find that they can't afford to sponsor a premiership team, and so change to the ice hockey too.

DevilDom

Thread starter #15
I forgot about the money back deal with the City season tickets, so things are probably better than I thought they could be. As stated my worry was the preference of people using their disposable income (given it is likely to a 1 season thing if City do make it up) and possible timing clashes with the football.

It would be nice to see the season ticket tracker steadily ticking up though, especially since the announcement today in respect of Tylor.