Are Steelers a threat ( For those who reckon so)

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
In no particular comparison.
Tanner Eberle. Joey Haddad.
Eric Meland. Matt Pope.
Anthony Deluca. Stephen Dixon.
Michael Davies. Sean Bentivoglio.
Jonathon Phillips. Josh Batch.
Cole Shudra. Sam Duggan.
Martin St Pierre. Charles Linglet.
Nikolai lemtyugov. Masi Marjamäki.
Brendan Connolly. Mike McNamee.
Robert Dowd. Matt Myers.
Marco Vallerand. Joey Martin.
John Armstrong. Blair Riley.
Kieran Brown. Toms Rutkis.

Aaron Brocklehurst. Gleason Fournier.
Jonas Liwing. Sam Jardine.
James Bettauer. Sean McMonagle.
Davey Phillips. Bryce Reddick.
Aaron Johnson. Mark Louis.
Ben O’Connor. Mark Richardson.

Okay guys what’s your views, is this the year of the Steelers, how amazing do they look. Myself they may take 3rd place, big upgrade on their last few teams, but myself their still behind ourselves, and the Giants. Fill your boots.
Happy Hockey Days.

Last edited:

Ocko

Not much in it IMO.

On paper they are as strong as us, but some of their signings may be duds, some of ours too, but they have more risk in that roster. I think they have a lot more goals in them than us, but that doesn’t necessarily make them better.

ASHIPP

Fox needs to get Steelers playing as a team. Some big names but no individual bigger than sum of parts. Giants are the team to beat this season.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #8
Watched the webcast, it was a pretty crappy game, got a bit feisty at times. Steelers looked okay St Pierre didn’t play, he had a niggle after training. They play again tomorrow, too early to really tell how good anyone is.

Diablo3

TBH we came out of the blocks flying last Saturday. Best passing I've seen from a Devils side, Sunday not so great. So lets see if they carry it on.

jenks33

It would be interesting to know the difference in recruitment budget between Thompson last season and Fox this year. Tony Smith has admitted its more but last seasons Steelers roster compared to this season is chalk and cheese.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #13
The more teams competing for trophies the better, without knowing everything about all the teams they are all going to be a threat, with 5/6 competing for top spot, hopefully this season will be the most competitive for a few years.

pjj365

It would be interesting to know the difference in recruitment budget between Thompson last season and Fox this year. Tony Smith has admitted its more but last seasons Steelers roster compared to this season is chalk and cheese.
On the budget front they will be sending more on housing as Fox has said he has gone out to recruit "families"

august04

While it was nice to see them struggle a little (!), I've missed the buzz of a real Devils-Steelers battle this past couple of years and I'm looking forward to getting back to normal this year. They should be great games again.

Rob Batch

I relish our battles with those Yorkies and have no fear of their roster, we have what it takes to win. Our line-up trumps their big budget I think.

Gazza272

Steelers will win the league
This seems to be a common theme, and I can certainly see the merit. However, they have a tonne more challenges in this race than either the Devils or Belfast do.

1. Their coach doesn't know this league. And that's important, remember last year when Chermanoaz came in and everyone thoguht Nottingham would bulldozer over everyone? by November he was throwing sticks on the ice in Fife. There is so much you need to navigate in this league - Scotland trips. Christmas, juggling challenge cup games, trick mid week trips to Guildford. You learn these things, it took Lord two full seasons to Iron out the points we were dropping to get us over the line.

2. Breaking the aura and over taking Belfast and Cardiff given whats been built over the past few years is tough, when we were gunning for the league, Sheffield were streets ahead and they were who we had to knock off the top, now Sheffield need to be better than 2 other clubs, for a first year coach he has to forge his identity to match the two best clubs in the land. again, that's tough to do in year 1

3. their D. I honestly don't think it's as good as either ours or Belfast's, they have chucked a fair amount of their funds at their forwards. That may win them a cup, but the league you need that solid foundation.

Will they challenge? yes, but it's almost like some fans have handed them the league at this point which seems crazy, they have a whole host of questions to answer this year.