Are our fans turning into the squeeler unfaithfuls?!

zoesdevil

Thread starter #1
It seems to me that most of our fans are getting like our fierced rivals the squeelers and constantly bicker and post negative stuff about the team instead of getting behind them when they most need it! We have to make the most of wot we've got and get in wiv it!!

I probably get stick for this thread but I don't care as I'm sick of all the negitivity on here everytime I come on!! Let's be the fans we are best known for and get behind our team good or bad!! :twisted:

Just want to add my agreement. I am shocked to see how much negativity there is. We all know what has happened recently but we need to get behind the team through thick and thin.

TheStub

Feel free to post positive takes on points raised.

The quickest way to kill negativity is to argue it down in a constructive way.

Maybe the forum could be split into 2, or even 3 sections.

Positive news
Hockey debate
Bitch n moan

Of course the mods would then have to move threads as they evolved, and they'd have no time to do stuff like eat or sleep...

Finny

TheStub said:
Feel free to post positive takes on points raised.

The quickest way to kill negativity is to argue it down in a constructive way.
Ah, but then you get accused of being part of the happy-clappy brigade or on Paul Ragan payroll.

This season hasn't been as great as last season (it was never going to be tbh) but it has been getting better in recent weeks IMO. Plus I remember where we were in the summer and I'd rather have this hockey than no hockey at all.

Fubar

Finny said:
This season hasn't been as great as last season (it was never going to be tbh)
....and there we have a negative opinion straight away! Why was this season never going to be better than last?...its not even half way through! we won bugger all last season, but still have 3 trophies to play for this season

I'm feeling negative about the team :D

I feel this way because I care greatly about the club, not because I want to have a downer on the team.

The product (in my opinion) on the ice is terrible and certainly no where near what this great sport (even at this level) is capable of. I'm desperate for it to improve for the good our the club and the sport in South Wales.

For mine, if a product is crap I believe the right approach is to highlight where it can be improved and how, rather than to just continue accepting the status-quo and watch it die.

Any good business would choose the former option so I don't see why the Devils should be any different.

In terms of the forum...we know the club reads it and uses it to gage opinion on things so it seems a good platform to highlight those concerns. :)

Paul Sullivan

Soundwave1 said:

I feel this way because I care greatly about the club, not because I want to have a downer on the team.

The product (in my opinion) on the ice is terrible and certainly no where near what this great sport (even at this level) is capable of. I'm desperate for it to improve for the good our the club and the sport in South Wales.

For mine, if a product is **** I believe the right approach is to highlight where it can be improved and how, rather than to just continue accepting the status-quo and watch it die.

Any good business would choose the former option so I don't see why the Devils should be any different.

In terms of the forum...we know the club reads it and uses it to gage opinion on things so it seems a good platform to highlight those concerns. :)
I can understand 'lower' in terms of last year (even though it was only about now we really hit our stride), or perhaps a little less dynamic (Tylor, Weller) but I think terrible is a little strong.

Stevie is as good as I have seen him in years. Young Brits playing out of their skins and developing fast. Max playing very well, Vother being extremely effective, G being a force - I think there are some genuine reasons to criticise (mostly around financials though) but certainly some highlights.

As has been said elsewhere - take away last season and we would probably think we were doing pretty well in this heavy-spending league.

Rhythm said:
I can understand 'lower' in terms of last year (even though it was only about now we really hit our stride), or perhaps a little less dynamic (Tylor, Weller) but I think terrible is a little strong.

Stevie is as good as I have seen him in years. Young Brits playing out of their skins and developing fast. Max playing very well, Vother being extremely effective, G being a force - I think there are some genuine reasons to criticise (mostly around financials though) but certainly some highlights.

As has been said elsewhere - take away last season and we would probably think we were doing pretty well in this heavy-spending league.
I agree, Stevie is playing brilliantly this year and Ben Davies and Tim Burrows just keep impressing me every time I see them!

I will admit, I am not a fan of Pierce but I do think that we would be lower in the league if we didn't have him and some of his goals have been absolute beauties!! :D

I think if we had Mark Smith on the ice, things may look a little different. Not having a full squad playing is probably the factor that is working against us rather than anything else. Yes, we have financial problems and they don't help but lets be fair, we've had financial problems the last couple of years and we haven't been complaining half as much as we have been this year! :)

Wannabe2

Soundwave1 said:

For mine, if a product is **** I believe the right approach is to highlight where it can be improved and how, rather than to just continue accepting the status-quo and watch it die.

To say the product on the ice is terrible is a bit ott mate, if you are right then another 6 teams suck, if Smithy hadnt had picked up his nasty injury, and remember he is a class act, there is no reason why we shouldnt be a healthy 4th and knocking on the door for a possible 3rd place. There are 3 teams in this league capable of signing 21 imports never mind 11, and dont have to worry about being short benched thru injuries,if you think we suck because we find it difficult to keep up with them then thats your perogative, but its a bit off with the fairies to me to be honest. There are 2 teams in this league that have exactly the same problems, they are the Devils and the Blaze, we have been used to being a top club with trophies, Blaze later than us sure, but we aint the big guns any more and thats a fact, we have more to put up with than the Blaze due to the building. Where we have advantages is that we have the best fans in the UK, the best City in the UK, the best coaching partnership in the UK, and a team that has usually punched above its weight. So there we have it folks, i believe we will finish 4th because we are a better team than Blaze, i believe Steelers will win the league, the Panthers 2nd, and the Giants will have to watch out for us. We cant have it all, we do have some negatives, but we also have a fair few positives, and i believe they can become bigger with us all pulling together, i do have people thinking i see things thru rose colour glasses, but i get frustrated and peed off like everyone else at times, but i wouldnt change the Devils for any of the other lot out there, this is our club lets get down to supporting it, and let the other outfits worry about us. We are still here after 25yrs after all, and there is naff all we cant accomplish if we stay united and have a little faith. My last little message is this, there are a lot of great hockey fans in Durham, Newcastle, Ayr and London etc, who would give there right arm to be where we are, so its not all that bad.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Wannabe2 said:
Soundwave1 said:

To say the product on the ice is terrible is a bit ott mate, if you are right then another 6 teams suck, if Smithy hadnt had picked up his nasty injury, and remember he is a class act, there is no reason why we shouldnt be a healthy 4th and knocking on the door for a possible 3rd place. There are 3 teams in this league capable of signing 21 imports never mind 11, and dont have to worry about being short benched thru injuries,if you think we suck because we find it difficult to keep up with them then thats your perogative, but its a bit off with the fairies to me to be honest. There are 2 teams in this league that have exactly the same problems, they are the Devils and the Blaze, we have been used to being a top club with trophies, Blaze later than us sure, but we aint the big guns any more and thats a fact, we have more to put up with than the Blaze due to the building. Where we have advantages is that we have the best fans in the UK, the best City in the UK, the best coaching partnership in the UK, and a team that has usually punched above its weight. So there we have it folks, i believe we will finish 4th because we are a better team than Blaze, i believe Steelers will win the league, the Panthers 2nd, and the Giants will have to watch out for us. We cant have it all, we do have some negatives, but we also have a fair few positives, and i believe they can become bigger with us all pulling together, i do have people thinking i see things thru rose colour glasses, but i get frustrated and peed off like everyone else at times, but i wouldnt change the Devils for any of the other lot out there, this is our club lets get down to supporting it, and let the other outfits worry about us. We are still here after 25yrs after all, and there is naff all we cant accomplish if we stay united and have a little faith. My last little message is this, there are a lot of great hockey fans in Durham, Newcastle, Ayr and London etc, who would give there right arm to be where we are, so its not all that bad.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
I appreciate you viewpoint Glynne, but perhaps I haven't made my reasoning clear enough.

I don' t care what league position we end up in (I've made clear on other threads that challenging for the title playing out of the tent is totally unrealistic). If we finished last, but competed every game, had guys who put everything on the line and stood up for eachother I wouldn't care if we finished bottom.

My visits to the tent are becoming less frequent and every time I go I'm bored and disappointed (aside from the good company of course) :)

Wholeheartedly agree on the point that this hockey is better than no hockey. No-one's kidding themselves that we're going to win the league this year, but we have a team that can beat any on its day so we're in serious contention for two trophies. Yay!

I must say that after the summer we had I'm amazed we are where we are so I'm enjoying things (though I'm not there as often as I should be). Enjoy this season for what it is, if the club comes through this then who knows what we have to look forward to. :)

TheStub

Re: Re: Are our fans turning into the squeeler unfaithfuls?!

Soundwave1 said:
I don' t care what league position we end up in (I've made clear on other threads that challenging for the title playing out of the tent is totally unrealistic). If we finished last, but competed every game, had guys who put everything on the line and stood up for eachother I wouldn't care if we finished bottom.
100% agree with this. If we played boring hockey and won every game, I'd stay at home.

I don't want success, I want entertainment. Success would be nice too though.

jimmy snels

agree with u 100% here stub, its that lack of passion im missing. maybe we should have accepted we were not going to win the league and signed that tylor sort of player that keeps everyone on the edge of their seats. campbell did it for us a few years ago to, someone who hits big and plays 100% everynight.

soundwave= I've made clear on other threads that challenging for the title playing out of the tent is totally unrealistic

did u not watch last season? :roll:

TheStub

Re: Re: Are our fans turning into the squeeler unfaithfuls?!

BeatBox said:
soundwave= I've made clear on other threads that challenging for the title playing out of the tent is totally unrealistic

did u not watch last season? :roll:
If you base expectations on last season, I'd give up now. Also, look at how well we're doing this season.

Not really looking to debate finances - but I think we are better off expecting mid table with some cracking games, and any silverware is and unexpected bonus.

the stub = you are rite but what soundwave said is silly.
i think we are 2 players short of having a team that could win the trophy or trophys