Any Update?????

Mazzoak

TK Max the Hayes, Boots, Krispy Kreame etc all have barriers controlling entry and exit. Yet walking up and down aisles there is no one way system.......go figure.

TK Max the Hayes, Boots, Krispy Kreame etc all have barriers controlling entry and exit. Yet walking up and down aisles there is no one way system.......go figure.
Do you get the feeling they're paying lips service to but not really engaging with the spirit or the intention of the guidelines.

I'm up in the valleys, in one of the minor towns, so we don't really have big shops to worry about.

Mazzoak

No the issue is politicians. Particularly Drakeford who became head of Social Services, cut the budget and turned a well run department into the ground and yet still managed to crawl up the career ladder. As one department member said promotion was a way to rid them of the problem. I guess he’s been unsuccessfully successful.

Paul Sullivan

You can play with figures all you want, this graph shows the Nations as a whole and in comparison the Welsh restrictions have zero effect in controlling this wave. Which is in line with the previous waves in which Wales again had higher rates. What it proves is what most parents know, when you tell people what they can’t do, the majority simply ignore you. Social Science proves telling people will result in negative outcomes.......
So - as most of my fellow key workers will tell you - it's not the guidelines are the problem. You've said yourself, it's the wilful defiance and ignorance of them that is the issue.
Rules and restrictions are irrelevant at any level if Joe Public doesn't have the social decency to protect one another.

Mazzoak

So - as most of my fellow key workers will tell you - it's not the guidelines are the problem. You've said yourself, it's the wilful defiance and ignorance of them that is the issue.
Rules and restrictions are irrelevant at any level if Joe Public doesn't have the social decency to protect one another.
I don’t believe it’s solely wilful defiance or ignorance, the majority of spread is caused by the fact it’s so difficult to reduce spread of an airborne virus. Unless everyone adheres to strict Hazmat instructions it’s impossible to prevent. The only true way to prevent is Hurd immunity, the Spanish flu became isolated after 2 yrs, far quicker than Covid. Obviously not ideal due to the millions it killed, although the current Covid death rates are getting pretty close to that pandemic, just taking longer.

voth26

I went to Cardiff today with my wife, we wore masks all day and sanitisized god knows how many times. It was shocking the amount of people walking in the shops and through the John Lewis centre and ST David's centre without masks and a total disregard for the 2 metre distance. Yet we can't go into the arena to watch the sport we all love

bb1

My point which all the data indicates is that the Welsh restrictions don’t have any impact on infection rates.........

For example today Cardiff City Centre, shops now have barriers that control entry and exit, yet everyone in the shop is free to move around unrestricted. These rules don’t do anything.
What has not been taken into account is that England testing is MUCH higher than in any other nation plus its has far more densely populated areas such as London. I can't stand Boris but sense has prevailed as restrictions in place in Wales etc...are like you said, doing very little.

august04 2.0

Common sense prevailed in England, where thankfully and against the grain really (by luck possibly), the UK government made a balanced decision based on both the economic and scientific data. Even some of the scientists/mathematical modellers have now stated they were wrong about Omicron as their worst case scenarios, which the likes of Sturgeon and Drakeford have jumped all over, were based on it being as dangerous as Delta - and studies have shown that it’s up to 90% milder when it comes to causing serious illness. The case rates seem to be falling now in England and Wales (just as they did in South Africa after a few short weeks, who were surprised at the hysterical over-reaction here). Hopefully, Drakeford reverses these ludicrous restrictions in Wales very soon, before any more unnecessary damage is done to Welsh businesses.

Earnie

Hysterical over-reaction - well said. Add to that the political urge to be different to England, which this time is a bit of an own goal.

James

Administrator
Third day of decreasing cases recorded. The latest day (5th Jan?) is the largest daily drop in cases since the start of the pandemic. Admittedly that's against the record numbers.

Finny

This tells you all what you need to know about Drakefords policy.
View attachment 1736
What it tells you is that:
1. England ran out of LFT and PCR tests for the best part of two weeks. Wales didn't. You can't test positive if you can't get a test.
2. Wales count reinfections - England don't. For example, 140,000 people in England were reinfected with Covid in the last week of 2021 alone, but won't count towards the official figures.