ANY UPDATE?

Temme

But he is a small attacking defence man, I thought we would be looking for a big stay at home defenseman.
We're looking for a player for PP1 (Reddick currently sits on this PP line)

The other PP line is the Fournier - Pope "D" pairing.

Also someone to partner Richie on D line 1.

At least that would be my guess.

Temme

Bryce Reddick is shorter.

D men under 6"1 on our roster:

Bryce Reddick
Gleason Fournier
Craig Moore
Mark Richardson

Assuming 6"1 is too small to be a D man, where do we go from here with just Batch, Louis & Blood signed?!

Height has literally nothing to do with ability/usefullness.

Ray Bourque (Leading NHL point D man) was 5"11
Paul Coffey (2nd Leading NHL point D man) was 6"0
Phil Housley (3rd Leading NHL Point D man) was 5"10

Possibly the greatest of them all Bobby Orr was only 6"0

I have literally no idea what height has to do with anything in hockey.

OJLloyd

The D lines, when settled and not mixing (which has happened on a couple of occasions this season so far) seem to be -

Blood/Reddick
Louis/Fournier
Richie/Batch

If we are bringing in a D Man, it will be to replace Batch, the plan likely would have been for him to move back in to the forward lines and Rutkis to go back to Swindon for a bit. This fits in with what Todd said at the start of the year re Toms.

Injuries and form have likely changed these. Josh is playing very well (though could cut out a couple of silly mistakes), and Rutkis and Moore have both looked good when given opportunities.

Also, we don't know how long Faryna will be out for.

So now I imagine it will be a case of either a D Man coming in to allow Batch to move forward, with Rutkis or Moore being given some third line time, or a forward to replace Faryna, meaning Batch stays back, and Rutkis stays where he is.

We have been playing an import short (4D/9F = 13) because of Parisi not staying, so there would be no issue with either option being an import.

Now I'm not going to pretend I know anywhere near as much as the guys actually making these decisions, but my thought is that the forward lines don't need any new input. The guys have started well, and I think either Moore or Rutkiss (or maybe Myers) deserve that extra ice time.

So I say we need a D man, if anyone at all. What kind of D man is interesting. I think Fournier has stepped his attacking play a lot this season, and he looks dangerous when he attacks. So I think we need a middle of the road player, someone who can chip in but is defensively minded. Pairings are Lordo's business, and I won't make a fool of myself guessing.

Leaves us short of an out and out spare until Faryna is back, but then gives us the option of allowing him to recover properly whilst still having the energy in the forward line with either Moore or Rutkis stepping in to his shoes.

If there is a second signing, I'd like to see it be a big nasty power forward, but that's probably because I loved Bordy.

But then again Johnny Gaudreau could decide he loves Cardiff, and then everything I've said is nonsense.

Devils86

Last post makes a lot of sense. There is also the idea that these players are starting to gel and lines starting to work. Would you risk all that right now for a new forward. At present both Moore and Rutkis are getting good ice time and providing points. Why mess with that when it benefits us both short term and long term.

I would like us to sign a stay at home D man though.

RedDevil17

Last post makes a lot of sense. There is also the idea that these players are starting to gel and lines starting to work. Would you risk all that right now for a new forward. At present both Moore and Rutkis are getting good ice time and providing points. Why mess with that when it benefits us both short term and long term.

I would like us to sign a stay at home D man though.
If one does come in I’d still leave Batch on D and have Rutkis on the 4th line. Batch is playing the hockey of his life and Rutkis is settling in very well and is looking like he’s good enough for the EIHL. Logically thinking why would some people send him down to Swindon when he’s doing so well for the Devils? I think we need a D man who’s 6’2 at a maximum and 6’0 at a minimum. Our defence should be our top priority if we are looking for a new player. There are plenty of defencemen who are at least 6’2. One player I’d love here is Kevin Raine, hits hard, good defensively, strong around the boards and is capable of putting up points. He’d be popular with the fans too and he screams out what it means to be a Cardiff Devil in my eyes.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/96876/troy-vance He’d be good too. 59 games for Assat and lots of ECHL games. 6’5 too defensive defenceman. Perfect!

Last edited:

Temme

A rarity, John Mirasty another but to be a tough player it's always advantageous to have some height and weight behind you, doesn't make you a better player but more likely to be able to impose yourself more on the game and opponents.
This is a really interesting one,

Mods - can we get a split thread on this about "Height advantage in hockey?" or something??

For me, height is almost irrelevant in the modern game.
Joey Martin put up 100 points last year in a Devils shirt, he imposed himself on any game more than any other player. He's 5"10.
Tylor Michel could hit, fight, score like the best of them in his days with us, he's 5"11.
Adam Keefe was as good of an enforcer in the league as we have possibly seen in recent years, again 5"10.
That pest Darryl Lloyd who had a knack of taking even the biggest of players clean off their feet was the same. - 5"10. i've never seen a player hit as hard as Lloyd could.

I guess what you're alluding to, is that STEREOTYPICALLY, bigger guys are more imposing, because in the old game bigger guys had a duty to protect their team mates. However for me in reality i'm not sure this aspect of the game exists so much any more.

We had 21 fights last year,
the most of any guy was 6"0 Justin Faryna (5 fights)
2nd was 5"10 Bryce Reddick (4 fights)