Andrew Lord Interview

doron

he asked the hard questions. and lord gave a good interview. but im not seeing the team he see's
he said we have a faster more physical team, i just don't see that. the style of play is blaaar.
he's right about net pegs and video replays should be up to standard in this league . and video feeds at all rinks. i don't see why he couldn't use the second goalie more, is there any chance of development for players in the cardiff set up anymore. or is it all-league orientated now

Rempel16

Interesting that he thinks the standard of play has increased.... Yet league wide there are issues surrounding the entertainment levels.

It makes you wonder whether the goal of the league is wrong?

An elite league team is never going to win the CHL, so rather than focus on league improvements to compete in a tournament that's done by October i'd much rather skim some 'talent' off the top in place of the league actually trying to entertain a little bit.

It was quite obvious in that interview that Lord is under pressure to win games, and it looks like he's attempting this at the expense of physical play. Confirmed my fears to be honest, that we aren't going to be seeing a change from the bland playing style we have anytime soon - I guess winning league titles makes up for that for a lot of people. My two favourite Devils teams in the elite era didn't win a trophy between them.

Ocko

he asked the hard questions. and lord gave a good interview. but im not seeing the team he see's
he said we have a faster more physical team, i just don't see that. the style of play is blaaar.
he's right about net pegs and video replays should be up to standard in this league . and video feeds at all rinks. i don't see why he couldn't use the second goalie more, is there any chance of development for players in the cardiff set up anymore. or is it all-league orientated now
With respect I think you’ve missed the point Lord was making. I took it that he isn’t happy either with the physicality and that he *thought* that we had a faster more physical team at the before the season started and he’s trying to address that issue. And on the face of it they did. Marjamaki, Riley and Jardine all appeared to be big physical signings, for one reason or another it hasn’t worked out exactly quite like that. Even the lesser physical signings like McMonagle and McNamee aren’t exactly small players who aren’t physical.

Frustratingly, looking across our roster, there aren’t actually many players who would be considered in the category of ‘not physical’, they just for some reason aren’t playing that way. We have a big team who are virtually all capable of playing a physical checking game. I can only think of Richie who you don’t really ever see throwing hit - they’ve got it in them we just haven’t seen it enough.

august04

That's the great conundrum. Lord says he wants physicality, Steve King says the ownership group are on the same page and had recruited as such. I think we all thought we had that after pre-season, when they hit everything that moved. So why aren't we seeing it now (and let's face it, it's been several weeks since we played like that)? We're not even seeing a particularly fast game either, we look positively pedestrian at times. I just don't get the identity of this team. One thing is for sure, they're largely boring the pants off people and if it wasn't for block 13, that would be very evident every game.

kingmo19.1

This ‘more physical’ team is a bit like watching a team of Drew Paris’. Zzzzzz!!!

I’m really hoping the Steelers game is a more physical encounter. Perhaps they will initiate that style of play and we may be forced to respond!

Finny

Great interview and good to see John Donovan ask the type of tough questions you want to see.

Unless I watched a different video to everyone else Lord gave a couple of pretty big hints as to why we aren't as physical as we were pre-season/CHL.

Slartibartfast

Thread starter #9
This is what I took from what he said about the lack of physicality
1. Some of the players are choosing not to play physically and he wants to address this
2. Some of the players are carrying injuries (he alluded to this but as always is very cagey about injuries for obvious reasons)
3. They fear getting penalties due to inconsistent refereeing

I think the first two points are fair, particularly the second point. I would not want to see an injured player made worse purely for my entertainment. I disagree with the last point. Despite some awful decisions recently, 90% of Devils penalties have been for stick infringements not physicality.
Players need to keep their stick on the ice but their shoulders in their opponents chest.

august04

And they can’t all be injured!
Interested to hear he wants to get a few big hits in early on Saturday, always liked us starting with Bordy’s line when he was here, quite often set the tone for the first period anyway. I wonder if we’ll start the big bodies against Sheffield?

Last edited:

osh

Didn’t think it was a convincing interview at all to be honest. And I also thought that some of the questions seemed longer than the answers and rather patronising, sorry John.

Didn’t think it was a convincing interview at all to be honest. And I also thought that some of the questions seemed longer than the answers and rather patronising, sorry John.
No problem at all Osh.

My style is a bit long-winded so I'll take that criticism. Just the way my brain works - overly cautious perhaps and a desire to cover every point.

Patronising? I"m disappointed if it came over as that as it wasn't the intention (but again I'll certainly take the comments on board)

2 quick notes in partial defence,

Whilst I'm not so 'soppy' as to call Lordo and myself friends - I do think we have quite a good relationship which means I can be a bit familiar. I'm hopeful that allows a natural and human style - but I'll watch it in future.

Secondly, I do tend to be quite respectful and pragmatic in how I ask questions - in the hope that will encourage more detailed answers.

Not my full time job - but I won't lie and say I don't enjoy it or don't want to do more of it. As a result, I want to get better so will certainly take those comments on board.

Cheers,

John

osh

No problem at all Osh.

My style is a bit long-winded so I'll take that criticism. Just the way my brain works - overly cautious perhaps and a desire to cover every point.

Patronising? I"m disappointed if it came over as that as it wasn't the intention (but again I'll certainly take the comments on board)

Whilst I'm not so 'soppy' as to call Lordo and myself friends - I do think we have quite a good relationship which means I can be a bit familiar. I'm hopeful that allows a natural and human style - but I'll watch it in future.

Secondly, I do tend to be quite respectful and pragmatic in how I ask questions - in the hope that will encourage more detailed answers.

Not my full time job - but I won't lie and say I don't enjoy it or don't want to do more of it. As a result, I want to get better so will certainly take those comments on board.

Cheers,

John
Thanks for your honest and dignified response John, much appreciated.

Diablo3

procedures
No problem at all Osh.

Cheers,

John
I liked the interview, I thought you did a great job while being respectful. That probably got better responses and more information for us fans. Don't apologise for it.

Gazr76

JD I also thought this interview was excellent. Lord did give some honest answers here. As he indicated in the interview, there are a few players carrying injuries right now. Between this and the way officials are calling the game currently is perhaps why the physicality has dropped off.