Amazing Sporting Moments!

Tyke Devil

Thread starter #1
Could be anything...Ice Hockey or any other sport you follow. Tell us your best sporting moments as a spectator or player.

Bit bored this afternoon so had a look on You Tube for Middlesbrough V Hednesford Town in the FA Cup 4th Round in 1997.

Hendesford were a conference team and had been drawn at home against Middlesbrough in the 4th Round of the FA Cup. At that time Boro had players such as Beck, Ravanelli, Juninho (Sp?). Hednesford switched the tie to the Riverside and I was fortunate enough to have a mate who was a mad Hednesford Town fan and got himself and three of us tickets to the game. We spent the weekend up in Yorkshire (not sure my Mum was too happy when we turned up...maybe should have told her first!) But the game was epic.

These part timers from the Midlands were 1-1 until about 10 mins from the end of the game. It finished 3-2 to the Boro but I just remember being part of 5000 Hendnesford fans having the time of their lives.

The money from that game literally bought them a new stadium.

Also remember one of the best football chants I have ever heard..."He's got white hair and I've seen him on the telly.....OOOHHH Ravanelli!" Sung by 5000 Hednesford fans.

Awesome day out (and weekend...sorry Mum)...sure some of you guys have got similar stories...lets hear them!

All the best

TD

KaneDevils

The Bruno, Tyson fight. Was really looking forward to it and invited my cousin round to stay.
Was never a huge Bruno fan but I had this emotion that night and was desperate for him to do it against all odds. We thought he had Tyson when he rocked him in the 3rd/4th? But it wasn't to be. bruno's lack of killer instinct again proving his downfall.
Nevertheless, great sporting memories.

KaneDevils

Well, Bruno should of won that fight, he didn't seize his chance. As I remember, he took a barrage of punches before the fight was stopped and did very well to stay on his feet. Bruno had the physique but not the fighting mentality. That was his problem. Its also worth mentioning that at the time Tyson was undefeated and was one hell of a fighter. The best at the time by some distance.

Entire fight here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJL93S64Lfs

Diafol

It's purobably been mentioned a hundred times on this forum but the second leg of the Challenge Cup Final in 2006 has to be my favourite live sporting moment of all time.

I went to the first leg in Coventry and can remember driving home thoroughly deflated after they bossed us that night and beat us 3-0. I only went to the home game as I'd already bought the tickets.

Then this happened:
https://youtu.be/5nGHuWGOS3c

The greatest, most emotional night of my sporting life.
And that's why I love this sport and this club.

KaneDevils

Diafol said:
It's purobably been mentioned a hundred times on this forum but the second leg of the Challenge Cup Final in 2006 has to be my favourite live sporting moment of all time.

I went to the first leg in Coventry and can remember driving home thoroughly deflated after they bossed us that night and beat us 3-0. I only went to the home game as I'd already bought the tickets.

Then this happened:
https://youtu.be/5nGHuWGOS3c

The greatest, most emotional night of my sporting life.
And that's why I love this sport and this club.
A perfect example of why this thread should be more popular. Keep em coming....

Ocko

2005 Champions League Final; Liverpool v AC Milan. Why I didn't turn off at half time God only knows, but grateful I kept watching. How that Liverpool team got to the final and won from 3-0 down at half is the stuff of fairy tales. Admittedly there were quality players like Gerrard, Carra, Hamman and Carragher but that team also had Baros, Cisse, Smicer, Traore...

For my own raw emotion, Cardiff at wembley for the Carling cup Final. we didn't win but that moment when Ben Turner scored to take it to Pens was unlike anything I have ever seen! You just do not see it in another sport.

The noise......just gets me! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUSyChjArCk

For another one, my mate is a Birmingham City fan, and always shares this ... Away to bolton, last day of the season, they score to stay up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GuB8k8qGp8

Its all about the emotion for me ha

Diafol

Ocko said:
2005 Champions League Final; Liverpool v AC Milan. Why I didn't turn off at half time God only knows, but grateful I kept watching. How that Liverpool team got to the final and won from 3-0 down at half is the stuff of fairy tales. Admittedly there were quality players like Gerrard, Carra, Hamman and Carragher but that team also had Baros, Cisse, Smicer, Traore...
We all dream of a team of Carraghers but I didn't realise there were two :lol:

Vladimir Smicer. Can't believe he was allowed to wear the number 7 shirt.
How could you forget the legend that was Igor Biscan ?

KaneDevils

Diafol said:
Ocko said:

I watched the final in tenby, the Normandy inn. The place was packed with Liverpool fans, it was electric in there. Unfortunately I lost the faith and left at half time. Incredible turn around.

Biscan, one of the worst lfc signings ever. Along with Sean Dundee. Anyone remember him? Oh and Anthony Le tallec? Sheesh.

JC23

KaneDevils said:
Diafol said:
Ocko said:

I was in the stadium in Istanbul for that game myself, and even I was tempted to walk out at half time.

As for bad signings, how can we forget Bruno Cheyrou? Florent Sinama-Pongolle? Salif Diao? And although he was decent, El Hadji Diouf?

I watched the final in tenby, the Normandy inn. The place was packed with Liverpool fans, it was electric in there. Unfortunately I lost the faith and left at half time. Incredible turn around.

Biscan, one of the worst lfc signings ever. Along with Sean Dundee. Anyone remember him? Oh and Anthony Le tallec? Sheesh.