All time devils team

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
The club is running a poll on this based on era. Early years and superleague era should be pretty much the same both containing Steve Moria, Doug McEwen and Shannon hope. I wonder if anyone other than John Donovan will pick brebant.

tim78

Players I'd certainly pick short of the 3 years -

Scott Matzka
Mark Smith - Forward
Craig Wellar
Tyson Teplitsky

Ocko

The club is running a poll on this based on era. Early years and superleague era should be pretty much the same both containing Steve Moria, Doug McEwen and Shannon hope. I wonder if anyone other than John Donovan will pick brebant.
I’d have ISL very different to early days.

Doug McEwen’s best years as a Devil were pre-ISL and he wasn’t anywhere near the level of Matulik, Vez, Thornton etc (he was never better than our 8th best forward for points in the ISL era), Shannon was dominant in the Heineken but only played 2 ISL seasons, albeit a more prominent role than MC. Mo could be in either though.

Difficult decision for me is who are the ISL D pairing - Kip Noble is a certainty but who partners him? Shannon is possible but I’d have him in the Early days team (because who else would partner S Cooper). Other than that not many D men played more than 3 seasons. Pope, Evans, Stone is all I can think of. Stone has longevity but nowhere near the ability of the other two, Evans solid and tough, Pope probably the best D man of the 3 but his post playing days leaves too much of a taint on his reputation to want to include him.

moggy#9

Thread starter #7
I’d have ISL very different to early days.

Doug McEwen’s best years as a Devil were pre-ISL and he wasn’t anywhere near the level of Matulik, Vez, Thornton etc (he was never better than our 8th best forward for points in the ISL era), Shannon was dominant in the Heineken but only played 2 ISL seasons, albeit a more prominent role than MC. Mo could be in either though.

Difficult decision for me is who are the ISL D pairing - Kip Noble is a certainty but who partners him? Shannon is possible but I’d have him in the Early days team (because who else would partner S Cooper). Other than that not many D men played more than 3 seasons. Pope, Evans, Stone is all I can think of. Stone has longevity but nowhere near the ability of the other two, Evans solid and tough, Pope probably the best D man of the 3 but his post playing days leaves too much of a taint on his reputation to want to include him.
Hmm, I always found kip frustrating. An amazing shot, but he seemed to get exposed a lot defensively and had a distinct size disadvantage. I'd forgotten that Shannon was only two years in the isl. I'd have picked Martin Lindeman, but I think he only did two seasons. Stoney should definitely be recognised, but Frank Evans was a great player. No love for mike ware?

moggy#9

Thread starter #9
Lindman unfortunately had only 1 season in Cardiff.
Was it? I could have sworn it was two. Obviously the years are catching up with me and my memory is fading. Herlofsky was another great player who needs to be there, as is Ian McIntyre.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Martin played season 1998-99 , and a total of 40 league games. A European coach came to one of our games to watch Kip Noble, but signed Lindman instead very sad.

tim78

Loved Mark Smith ( the real one ) pure class.
Slightly off topic, loved his little chip of the puck when defenders sticks were nearby (bit like Lingley), though there was a moment that impressed me when one of the opposition forwards was about to charge openly into the zone with the puck and he nudged another opposing player offside to kill the play (interference wasn't called as is was simply sublime).

dave

Well the episode is all recorded and wow it's going to be tough to make the final choices from the nominated players!! Just wish the rink bar was open and could listen to all the debates.. We sure have been blessed over the last 35 years..

Kevlar68

I think with the restrictions imposed on selection that there may be players you wouldn't have picked in the team but only get in to the team as you can't pick other players. So in fact it's not a true showing of a Devils all time team from an individual point of view, it's a forced selection.

E.D.S.

Derek King is an interesting one for me. Underrated, solid and made a real difference to the team but I'd struggle to see past Dougie (without doubt the real GOAT for me), Mo, Shannon, Coopers and even Hilton. Geoff Smith is a shoe-in too. May be I'm blinded by nostalgia.
Just out of curiosity how many seasons did Steve Cadieux have with us?

moggy#9

Thread starter #16
Derek King is an interesting one for me. Underrated, solid and made a real difference to the team but I'd struggle to see past Dougie (without doubt the real GOAT for me), Mo, Shannon, Coopers and even Hilton. Geoff Smith is a shoe-in too. May be I'm blinded by nostalgia.
Cadieux was only half a season. If he'd have come back for a full year I firmly believe he'd have been incredible.

moggy#9

Thread starter #17
I think with the restrictions imposed on selection that there may be players you wouldn't have picked in the team but only get in to the team as you can't pick other players. So in fact it's not a true showing of a Devils all time team from an individual point of view, it's a forced selection.
I think that the 3 year rule is harsh. Reducing it to two years would have been fairer - allowing the like of Mike macwilliam, whilst still keeping out brebant.

moggy#9

Thread starter #18
Whilst Derek king has the unenviable position of replacing Stephen cooper he was, for me, too small for a d man and didn't have a first timer shot. Jason stone for me became a far better overall player.

Gazr76

Not relevant to this, as he was here for less then one hot minute, but one of the best I've ever seen ever was Travis Brigley. Had he stuck round he would have put up huge numbers. Brigley actually made it into the NHL after playing for Cardiff Devils. Brigley played 36 games for the Colorado Avalanche scoring 3 goals, 4 assists for 7 points. There aren't many Cardiff Devils players which you can say achieved that amazing feat.