Additional Player

Devil_Abroad

Thread starter #1
Hey Steve, I guess we’re getting very close now to signing the right player to replace Parisi

Even though Icetime.tv quoted Faryna being close to a return which means we would be back to full forward quota I read that Toronto and William Nylander are no closer to agreeing a deal. Now before you ignore this opportunity may I share with you and the other owners the following facts;

He is tall (for Devils standards)
He is pretty quick
He shoots right
He is very versatile - can play Centre or Right Wing
He knows the North American style hockey and European style so is able to adapt to all Ice surfaces in the EIHL (Storm might be a shock)
He is by all accounts a thoroughly nice young chap and will fit in well in the locker room

I know this would mean Batch staying on D, but then he looks like a young Strachan back there anyway right now, and on the up side he’s able to do those surging runs up ice at will.

I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes if you’ve already agreed terms with a different stud but just wanted to do my bit for the Devils in case you weren’t aware; you’d also stick one to the Leafs at the same time ;)

What’s not to like eh? :cool:

Last edited:

Devils86

Can someone explain to my this predisposition with PPMs? How is being at a man disadvantage anything to be proud of?

Love Blood but he spends too long in the box for me.

Fighting - get that. But unless the penalty is required a lot of silly minutes can’t be a good thing surely?

Can see the affect thus far tonight.

Devil_Abroad

Thread starter #4
Can someone explain to my this predisposition with PPMs? How is being at a man disadvantage anything to be proud of?

Love Blood but he spends too long in the box for me.

Fighting - get that. But unless the penalty is required a lot of silly minutes can’t be a good thing surely?

Can see the affect thus far tonight.
Err, sorry? Don’t follow

4 mins tonight - Myers had 4 and so did Linglet

7 games so far in the league and only 4 mins

Not sure you’ve supported your case?

Devils86

Err, sorry? Don’t follow

4 mins tonight - Myers had 4 and so did Linglet

7 games so far in the league and only 4 mins

Not sure you’ve supported your case?
I don’t mean tonight. Just seems that it’s a pretty safe bet when we need to stay out of the box and someone ends up in there it’s Blood.

Couple times tonight there were necessary penalties taken by Linglet when we were caught up the ice - I understand the need in that situation.

But a lot of the time needless penalties are given away - not necessarily by Blood, this isn’t a Blood-bashing post by any means.

I just don’t get the fixation with some people of saying this player had so many minutes so we should pick him up over someone else who doesn’t have as many.

I don’t understand how unnecessary time in the box is a good thing? And unfortunately however much I like Benny he does seem to spend some time in there unnecessarily...as do others.

Devil_Abroad

Thread starter #6
I don’t mean tonight. Just seems that it’s a pretty safe bet when we need to stay out of the box and someone ends up in there it’s Blood.

Couple times tonight there were necessary penalties taken by Linglet when we were caught up the ice - I understand the need in that situation.

But a lot of the time needless penalties are given away - not necessarily by Blood, this isn’t a Blood-bashing post by any means.

I just don’t get the fixation with some people of saying this player had so many minutes so we should pick him up over someone else who doesn’t have as many.

I don’t understand how unnecessary time in the box is a good thing? And unfortunately however much I like Benny he does seem to spend some time in there unnecessarily...as do others.
I definitely agree with you as far as staying out of the box - always remember Lawless’ comments - you don’t win games sat in the box

Just not sure why Blood is mentioned unless it’s because of his PM totals in the Finish league before coming here; 7 league games 4 mins, 4 cup games 2 mins

In the CHL in general more PMs have been called against us

For the new D man coming in I would much prefer a playmaker who can skate well and is quick over a stay at home tough penalty taking D man

SteveKing

Very much appreciate the input and the heads up, Devil Abroad. We were looking for a dman but Nylander would be a great add. The added bonus is that young Willy is actually born in Calgary (while his Dad played for the Flames) so that should seal the deal I would expect. Well that plus the show stopping 20,000 Pounds plus MBA that we would offer him. Apparently the Leafs are only offering $6,750,000 so I would expect that we should at least be in the game.

It feels good to be at the point with our ticket revenue and our lucrative TV contract to be competing for these big time talents!

Devil_Abroad

Thread starter #8
Very much appreciate the input and the heads up, Devil Abroad. We were looking for a dman but Nylander would be a great add. The added bonus is that young Willy is actually born in Calgary (while his Dad played for the Flames) so that should seal the deal I would expect. Well that plus the show stopping 20,000 Pounds plus MBA that we would offer him. Apparently the Leafs are only offering $6,750,000 so I would expect that we should at least be in the game.

It feels good to be at the point with our ticket revenue and our lucrative TV contract to be competing for these big time talents!
Go Devils go, go Devils go :D:D:D

Seems to me then there won’t be a replacement!! I would love to see someone new but what’s the point right now when we have done fine with out Parisi?

Also faryna will be back in 4/6 weeks too :)

Thanks for the 'heads up' Steve, it's good to know we're targeting the 'big fish'!!

Seriously though, is there any progress on our search for our final signing?
I appreciate that you can't mention names or give any clues to the identity, because of our recent history of perforated plumbing, however it would be good to know if we're any closer to an announcement.
I'm assuming,( because I don't know the intricacies of the MBA spot, or if that's going to be part of the package) that this spot needs to be filled rather quickly so the new student doesn't miss too much of the carriculum.

Thanks in advance!!

Wannabe2

Hopefully this is a case of, good things come to those who wait, that has certainly happened in the past. One more classy player to this classy team will be a tidy Xmas pressie thank you.

tim78

With the Panthers dropping a few points it does give us breathing space to wait and see what happens. From my view, adding high end players just means were looking to pull away from the pack which means less competitive hockey for a lot of the games. Surely we want to win the games with a highly compete rate. Plus having the best coach and supporting ownership means there is little to worry about in that area.

With regards to Blood's PIM, is that because you see him as the key defense man who can't afford to spend time in the box? Probably during critical moments but the rest of the D are capable and have proven it.... again makes those games more interesting, would rather lose a thriller than walk away untouched.

Wannabe2

It’s strange how people think Blood takes so many penalties, at the moment 92 players have more pm’s, and a further 32 players have the same pm’s. Yes we may have played fewer games than some, but he is averaging slightly above1 min every 2 games at the moment.

hip check

It’s strange how people think Blood takes so many penalties, at the moment 92 players have more pm’s, and a further 32 players have the same pm’s. Yes we may have played fewer games than some, but he is averaging slightly above1 min every 2 games at the moment.
I don't think he takes too many penalties, we have ourselves a fabulous player and the small amount of penalties he does take he more than makes up for with his contribution at both ends of the ice.

I'd argue we don't need a new signing. We are playing well and think why bring in someone for the sake of it. As far as budget goes we must have built up a nice little stash for not having to pay Parisi all these weeks? So I'd keep that money in case Lord does decide to strengthen or put it aside for next season's budget.