A Christmas Story

Jones72

Thread starter #1
This was in Saturday's programme, and I'm sure that (considering the festive spirit) nobody will mind me posting it on here for those that may not have seen it. Anyway...here goes...and apologies in advance for any typos...

A Christmas Story by Victoria Silverwood

Once upon a time, in Christmas 2008 there was an evil elf. He was the most disliked of all the pantomime villains, dressed like all the naughty Christmas elves in teal and orange. He and his evil gang of teal and orange elves delighted in winding up the innocent and hard-working Devils, repeatedly shutting them out at home and stealing every piece of silverware. The teal and orange elves spent all their spare time dreaming up tall tales about the Devils and distributing their nasty stories to all the people in the world (well, all the readers of Sheffield Star anyway).

It wasn’t just last Christmas, for two seasons this most disliked of all the elves thrived in making Devils fans cry, he won all the face-offs against us, he agitated our skill players, he wound up our tough guys and most of all he told mean stories about us in the press.

The chief elf did not like the ‘Blue Tent of Wonder’ in which the Devils resided, he liked his ‘Shed of Tin’ and he told the world about how much better his tin shed was. Those good and righteous Devils fans wanted to stand up to the evil elf, they called him mean names when he visited the Blue Tent of Wonder and they made posters and sang songs about the naughty things that he did. They summoned their own special red and white elf to make them all laugh by pushing over the evil elf in the middle of the centre circle of the ‘Ice of Awesomeness’. The red and white elf succeeded and how they all cheered. They were no longer afraid of the little teal and orange elf.

That Christmas, the evil elf asked Santa how he could make people like him. He had realised the errors of his ways and he did not want to spend any more time on the naughty list. Santa said to him “Go away you must, to a far and distant country. Only after six months have passed may you return. If you can prove you are good and righteous, you will be permitted entrance to the Blue Tent of Wonder and there you will realise your full potential.”

One year later, when Santa was completely convinced that the evil elf of teal and orange had changed his wicked ways and he would use his evil powers for good, that little elf got his Christmas wish. He returned to the Blue Tent of Wonder this time dressed, as all good elves are, in red and white and he used his evil powers for good. The red and white elves cheered him (for they were a forgiving lot) and he rewarded their hospitality by assisting his little elf friends in four Challenge Cup goals.

And they all lived happily every after, surrounded by cups and trophies.

The End.

Russky

A brilliant piece! A modern parable for all those who those who still regard Jonathan 'Anakin Skywalker' Phillips as a betrayer for turning his back on the Devils and going over to the dark side and daring to wear the orange and teal elf costume!!

Russky

Yes it is about Finnerty but I thought to turn it on its head and remember how we felt when Jono signed for the dark side!!! Finnerty was one of the sworn enemy now we seemed to have welcomed him with warmth and friendship! Would we welcome Dangerknee in the same way if he were to sign for the Devils? How fickle are we? Finnerty has yet to prove to me that he is a real Devil! To be fair to him this is only his second week as Devils player so lets give him some time to do this!

Jones72

Thread starter #7
Russky said:
Finnerty has yet to prove to me that he is a real Devil! To be fair to him this is only his second week as Devils player so lets give him some time to do this!
Jesus Christ! 7 points in 3 games! What do you want him to do? Bring you breakfast in bed?!

:lol:

Russky

no that is not necessary! I have my wife foir that LOL!!!!!

His points tally so far is impressive but I mean for him to do something like drop the gloves with say Blaze's Campbell in order to make Campbell think twice about starting on any of our boys to put one of the squeelers in their place once and for all !! If Finnerty does that, he will convince me that he is a true Devil!

Rempel16

Russky said:
no that is not necessary! I have my wife foir that LOL!!!!!

His points tally so far is impressive but I mean for him to do something like drop the gloves with say Blaze's Campbell in order to make Campbell think twice about starting on any of our boys to put one of the squeelers in their place once and for all !! If Finnerty does that, he will convince me that he is a true Devil!
In all fairness to Ryan i think he would struggle with Campbell. Sure, he's a tough guy and could probably hang in there, but Campbell is a light heavyweight in this league and a step too far for Finnerty i would suggest.

I would be looking for Voth, Miller, G or Jarvis to have a go first.

All we can ask from Ryan is for 100% every shift and he's delivered and then some so far.

Russky

Rempel16 said:
In all fairness to Ryan i think he would struggle with Campbell. Sure, he's a tough guy and could probably hang in there, but Campbell is a light heavyweight in this league and a step too far for Finnerty i would suggest.

I would be looking for Voth, Miller, G or Jarvis to have a go first.

All we can ask from Ryan is for 100% every shift and he's delivered and then some so far.
Maybe on reflection you are right. But in that case As you say G or Jarvis would get my nomination to have a go! Voth needs to stay well away, although he would probably wipe the floor with Campbell, Voth is more important to us on the ice and not in the bin or dressing room!