A Bit of Perspective

Finny

Thread starter #1
I'm as disappointed as anyone when we lose at home, but some of the comments on here and social media are just ridiculously OTT.
"We need a clear out this summer"
"We need to hire and fire like Thommo does"
"Lord and the management don't know what they are doing".
Please.

I know somebody started to compare this season and last season but I had already done similar so I'm going to post it anyway.

So far this season we have played 33 games. Won 22 and lost 11. Scored 141 goals and conceeded 91.
At this point last season we had played 30 games. Won 20 and lost 10. Scored 114 and conceeded 91.
So I would argue we are actually doing better than we had last season.

So far in the league this season we have played 25 games. Won 17 and lost 4 in regulation for 38 points.
At this point last season we had played 24 games. Won 17 and lost 6 in regulation for 35 points.
So again, we are ahead of where we were last season.

Looking through the results, by now we had played Belfast twice and lost twice - gaining just 1 point from a possible 4.
We'd lost 6-1 at home to Manchester. 8-6 at home to Fife (having been something ridiculous like 4 goals ahead?). In mid-November we lost 4 out of 5 games.

Are we really doing that much worse than last season?

I've read the posts claiming that they've got inside knowledge that there is trouble within camp. Presumably this trouble though only affects our performances at home because away we are sensational. 12 wins from 15 is remarkable.

Clearly we have a confidence issue at home. I've seen comments on here like "well if players don't like criticism I don't want them in the trenches with me".
Utter nonsense. These people are human. "Home Advantage" is a thing because players thrive on support and struggle under criticism.

Last season it was around this time we really clicked on went on some great runs. This team is good enough to do it again but we can only do that if we are united, and criticising people by name on here and social media will just do the opposite.

OJLloyd

Good stuff. Stats are very difficult to argue with.

I’d like to see all of us on here who read this really get behind the team from minute 1 next home game, regardless of your current outlook.

Let’s give them something to work with.

Wannabe2

I'm as disappointed as anyone when we lose at home, but some of the comments on here and social media are just ridiculously OTT.
"We need a clear out this summer"
"We need to hire and fire like Thommo does"
"Lord and the management don't know what they are doing".
Please.

I know somebody started to compare this season and last season but I had already done similar so I'm going to post it anyway.

So far this season we have played 33 games. Won 22 and lost 11. Scored 141 goals and conceeded 91.
At this point last season we had played 30 games. Won 20 and lost 10. Scored 114 and conceeded 91.
So I would argue we are actually doing better than we had last season.

So far in the league this season we have played 25 games. Won 17 and lost 4 in regulation for 38 points.
At this point last season we had played 24 games. Won 17 and lost 6 in regulation for 35 points.
So again, we are ahead of where we were last season.

Looking through the results, by now we had played Belfast twice and lost twice - gaining just 1 point from a possible 4.
We'd lost 6-1 at home to Manchester. 8-6 at home to Fife (having been something ridiculous like 4 goals ahead?). In mid-November we lost 4 out of 5 games.

Are we really doing that much worse than last season?

I've read the posts claiming that they've got inside knowledge that there is trouble within camp. Presumably this trouble though only affects our performances at home because away we are sensational. 12 wins from 15 is remarkable.

Clearly we have a confidence issue at home. I've seen comments on here like "well if players don't like criticism I don't want them in the trenches with me".
Utter nonsense. These people are human. "Home Advantage" is a thing because players thrive on support and struggle under criticism.

Last season it was around this time we really clicked on went on some great runs. This team is good enough to do it again but we can only do that if we are united, and criticising people by name on here and social media will just do the opposite.
Spot on Finny, now let’s move on people

trapped

If we win our games in hand, then we go top of the league. However, even if we don't, we are right in the mix and if we repeat another twelve wins from fifteen, then I would be surprised if we haven't built up a lead.

If you really believe that we are as poor as many seem to suggest, then imagine what will happen when we click again. We are right up there in spite of the supposed poor performances.

Yes, the challenge cup was a blow, but losses happen, this is hockey. You can't win all the time.

LET'S GO DEVILS!

CaldicotDevil

Also Belfast had 7 players unavailable for their match yesterday; Pat Dwyer, Colin Shields, Jonathan Boxill, Paul Swindlehurst Guillaume Gelinas, Matt Towe & Andrew Dickson. They play a physical game but it looks like it's catching up with them.

2/3 weeks ago the Panther looked good, going about there business nice and quietly but it looks like the wheels have fallen off again.

Wannabe2

There isn’t one team in this league that won’t go through some bum times at times, and we ain’t exempt from that list. Earlier in the season the big money was on the Panthers, they looked pretty bloody scarey big,strong,physical and scoring at will, but not so much now, Giants didn’t look too frightening at first, then went on a great run, and were the team to beat, but they too are vulnerable. Steelers well they were truly aweful and couldn’t win a one horse race, then their season was transformed, Fife looking the real deal had their wheels fall off, then there’s us, looking untrue at the season beginning, then a wobble and a drop in form, but hopefully now back on track. So my point is this is sport, there are highs, and there are lows, we certainly are not exempt from that, it’s not what happens to us, it’s how we handle it, and how we bounce back. So come on lads we are all behind you, show us that you care as much as we do.
Happier Hockey Days.

Kevlar68

If you look at some of the results this season already every dog has had its day so far with lower placed teams beating the teams at the top so why is our team getting so much stick this season?

When our team were looking unbeatable it was being classed as "Boring" by some.
When our team are losing we're being classed as "rubbish" by some.

What does this team have to do to please the minority.

True supporters support a team through the highs and lows and god knows we've had much lower points in the clubs history than this season.
Until every game has been played and all the results are in why are some so quick to want change?

I do believe we need a hard hitting skilful D-man added.

Last edited:

JT666

I'm going to put my head above the parapet and say the slightly downbeat atmosphere on here (and at the arena) at present is less to do with results, which as the statistics prove aren't bad at all overall, and more to do with the product on offer. We undoubtedly have a hugely talented roster, but the perceived lack of effort from some players, and a string of poor home results against basement clubs has probably led to fans become more vocal.

I've started to become a bit bored at home games as well, which is worrying because I was a really enthusiastic season ticket holder up until the 2016/2017 season. Of course this may have more to do with the way the sport is becoming more 'Euro' in it's nature, than the Devils themselves, but the lack of big hits, comfortable yet completely sterile arena, and yes, the reluctance to stand up for team mates and fight, doesn't exactly inspire me to go every week.

Although it was a dump, and the team was nowhere near as stacked as now, I got back into ice hockey during that 14/15 season at the BBT. The arena had a brilliant atmosphere, the team had great characters AND we also had some degree of success. Although the latter is obviously hugely important, and there is no doubt we've been spoilt these past few years on that front, I for one would really appreciate it if there were ways we could incorporate the former two points, and bring back some more fun to a night at the hockey.

Last edited:

Finny

Thread starter #10
I don't think we're ever going to have anything as 'entertaining' as that first season under Lord in the BBT. Or rather, one that we perceive to be as entertaining as that season.

The previous season was awful. Terrible management. Coach sacked. A ridiculous turnover in players. Poor hockey and ultimately our worst ever finish in the EIHL.
The fanbase was pretty much rock bottom. I didn't think I would ever see a hockey game in Cardiff again and I doubt I was the only person.
Then, late in the summer we had the takeover. However, due to budget restraints we had to let Whistle go as coach and appoint Lord as player-coach and a british netminder to save some money. A roster was assembled pretty quickly with players who had no EIHL experience and who we had never heard of before.
Expectations were low. Most of us were just glad to have hockey back.
To then go and challenge for the title and win the CC meant we massively over-achieved from what we expected. We went from the lowest of the low to a pretty good high.
But IMO because of that previous season it gave the impresson of being better than it actually was. And there were some pretty poor games in that period too. But we don't remember the bad run of losses which saw us miss out on the title at the end. Or the fact we lost heavily to Belfast in the playoffs to miss out on the Finals Weekend.

In fact I think my two most enjoyable seasons of hockey were directly after awful seasons. Even though when you look back at them they were nowhere near the most successful.

I've said it before but I think the era you joined the Devils fanbase has a big say on how much you are currently enjoying your hockey.
I started in the late 80s. Yes we were still a physical team but it was our skill and speed that made us better than anyone else. And why we so dominant.

For me, I thought the hockey we played in the first two months of the season was some of the best hockey I've ever seen a Cardiff Devils team play. I wasn't bored. I loved it.
Of course, that style of hockey isn't for everyone. Some people long for the small icepad with lots of hits. Some people long for close games that are won at the death. Some like all out gooning it up.

We all need to remember that when you say "this hockey is boring" you actually mean "this hockey is boring to me".

jimmy snels

my favourite season was first under lord at bbt. skill, hits, characters, standing up for team mates. was really good in general. ended on a damp squib but i think season ticket value for money was extreemly good. cheap beer, no cost to park my car and cheap food also big pluses.
its got more passive season on season our style of play since and costs are going up on all those extras.
i always say on this if you win people largely forget the lack of hits etc. but if you are losing by christ a fan base like ours used to being the tough dogs will say thats the issue. nature of that beast. we signed a roster with two tough players in reality and a character Dman. one of those is left. no replacements of that nature signed. its just for me a bit placid and its regularly talked about in block 4 as well so i know its not just me.

Before i end i will say i was the first to post of how good the notts game was a few weeks ago entertainment wise so its not like we cant get stuck in. the fan base engaged that night and was probably the best game of the season for me.

terry hunt

I thought you had all seen the DaiSport report on Sunday.
At the top of the page is a great photo of Steve "meeting up" with Scott and Andrew Hotham.
Assuming it is a current photo it seems a bit odd and nowt to do with the report.
If my geography is right i think Calgary is a long way from the Stoney Generals.

pjj365

At the top of the page is a great photo of Steve "meeting up" with Scott and Andrew Hotham.
Assuming it is a current photo it seems a bit odd and nowt to do with the report.
If my geography is right i think Calgary is a long way from the Stoney Generals.
Is was also on Twitter with Steve captioning - negotiations complete - who's buying the beers.
Sorry - can't find the Tweet at the moment

Gazza272

I beleive this was from the Stampede when they met up. It isn't a recent photo.

Sadly we won't be seeing either Hotham brother in a Devils shirt again in my opinion. A shame, but what a pair of players to have had.

terry hunt

Calgary Stampede is held in July.
I wouldnt think they would need heavy duty parkas then.
I just wondered whether Steve is teasing us.
The Stoney Creek Generals play very few games .
Perhaps a nice short term deal with us as a Xmas present?