Ulmer ...

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
Just wanted to say hat's off to Layne - a super strong end to the league season. Talk about turning things around - I wasn't too impressed for the first 3-4 months (like a few fans) but then BANG! .... If he'd have come in with that form from the first game he would have run away with the league's top point scorer title (one we didn't win :) )

Would like to see Joey picking up a few more points - seems to have cooled lately. With those 2 on Fire the Playoffs will be ours.

Wannabe2

Ditto, Ulmer has been on fire lately, God if he had started the season, like he has ended it he would have run away as the leagues top scorer. Four more games Layne, let's do it.

Slartibartfast

I think Lord kept Ulmer and Bentivoglio together due to their previous chemistry playing together in Italy. But the best thing he did was split them up. The have both shone since being on different lines. The Italian league and EIHL are very different and what works in one does not necessarily work in another. Full credit to Lord for recognising the need to change and also to Benti and Ulmer who have been on fire in the latter half of the season.

However just to remind us what they can do together Ulmer set up Benti for a beautiful goal last night

Pondlife

Ulmer's work rate has been unquestionable since about late Nov. He is my player of the season but I fear that next season he's heading elsewhere. I don't know what next year's rosta looks like but I think we're going to lose some top guys. Such is life. Murdy for sure but best of luck to him as he deserves better than 2nd choice.

Pondlife

You don't think the likes of Murdy, who's just been called up for the national team but who barely gets any ice time at home will not be getting offers? Especially considering MK and Guildford joining the league.

Do any of the players except Lord have a contract past 16/17?

Edit: I'd be extremely sorry to see any of the current team move on as our current line up is awesome and could only continue to grow.

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

Ulmer's work rate has been unquestionable since about late Nov. He is my player of the season but I fear that next season he's heading elsewhere. I don't know what next year's rosta looks like but I think we're going to lose some top guys. Such is life. Murdy for sure but best of luck to him as he deserves better than 2nd choice.
Just a feeling or you've heard first hand?

Ulmer is 36 and possibly might want to retire on a high.

Will be interesting to see the EIHL rules for next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pondlife

@Devil_Abroad Just to be clear, I've absolutely NOT heard anything first hand or from anyone directly connected to the devils and would not want anyone to assume so. It's just my opinion that was at best backed up by a mate over a pint. Nothing more, just idle gossip and speculation. I just think that after such a successful season some may want to bow out on a high note or will be getting offers from elsewhere.

Bazza

Would it also be relevant to consider when the Cardiff Met course he is on finishes...?

Good players can still be good beyond 36!!

Agree with thought he may want to go out at the top.

I definitely would not say Martin has 'cooled' he's still up there in terms of points. We have a very even spread that's all, because we have such depth. We don't rely on him so much this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devil94

We know that Martin and Hotham received good offers from elsewhere in Europe last sunmer.
I wonder if now we have won the league, something they narrowly missed out on for two years, that they feel they can move on.
As for Ulmer, would be great to see him back, but now hes a new father, finishing an MBA, he might be looking at other options.
The reduction of 1 in import level (if confirmed) will have more impact on the roster than I first thought, changes the whole dynamic, will be interesting to see what route we take.

RedDevil17

Safe to say Ulmer has really turned his game around. I've never called for him to be gassed because I believe in chances but he's really been phenomenal the last few months and his point production has shot up. He's always maintained that hard work ethic and it's payed off. I think he's too old to play in the CHL as well as a few players needing upgrades but he's a great player. However, I imagine he'll explore other options but credit where it's due to him. Hats off!

Ocko

Ulmer has been superb since the boxing day and gone for 34 points in 25 games. Makes you think how much it could've been if we would've got Haddad and Assellin on the same line earlier.

Without taking the thread off topic too much; Andrew Hotham has finished the regular season level on points with Joey Martin as our joint top point scorer, despite playing less games. For a D man that is an absolutely incredible return. To my knowledge a D man has never led the scoring charts for the Devils at the end of season in our history.

ASHIPP

Ulmer has been superb since the boxing day and gone for 34 points in 25 games. Makes you think how much it could've been if we would've got Haddad and Assellin on the same line earlier.

Without taking the thread off topic too much; Andrew Hotham has finished the regular season level on points with Joey Martin as our joint top point scorer, despite playing less games. For a D man that is an absolutely incredible return. To my knowledge a D man has never led the scoring charts for the Devils at the end of season in our history.
Jarvis or Teplitsky as top scorers on our past teams? Finny will know the stats!

The Devils signed a top quality game changer in Layne. Since December he has demonstrated his fantastic ability.

It's been an amazing season for him - championship team, MBA, becoming a Dad. Hope all the Guys love being part of a great group and a great Club enough to want to do it all again next season.

@Pondlife I agree re Murdy, my comment was more aimed toward what you had said about Ulmer. I understand that a lot of this group will have offers to go elsewhere, but I think (and hope) they can see how much it's meant to the club on every level to have won the big one this season and that will be reason enough to want to stay on. Obviously I can't speak for what the guys want out of their careers, but I've always thought that the prospect of creating a period of success at a club where you feel at home would be more tempting for some than a bigger paypacket. Maybe that's a bit naive or idealistic, I don't know.

trapped

Ulmer and Benti both stayed for long periods at Asiago, perhaps a settled life in an enjoyable and winning environment is something that has always been important for them. I certainly would be glad to see them both back.