RUTKIS

kingmo19.1

Feel a bit sorry for the lad ..... dresses, warms up then has maybe 1 shift all night. I understand it’s experience blah blah blah but if he’s not playing he’d be better off staying with swindon for another season or two and getting game time. He’s going nowhere sitting on the bench.

ASHIPP

Would love to see Toms getting more ice time. Surely he's earned it. I look at other teams like Steelers (Shudra - we know Kirk is already a star in the making) and Panthers (Tetlow - played well against Devils recently - and Kelsall) who are playing their newest U23 players regularly and without any reservations. Surely best way to improve at this level is to get some shifts to supplement the training? Otherwise what is the point in the young man being on the bench?

Hope we get to see much more of Toms next season - would hate him to end up somewhere else.

Last edited:

Devil94

I’m pretty sure in saying that Toms is in Cardiff University, so I would say it’s either Devils or Swindon for him. Would love to see him back next year, and he deserves more ice time, but as Lordo has said, with the league title being the #1 priority there are no dead rubber games in which Toms can play regularly. The result usually has to be done and dusted before he gets a shift.

I would also like Moore back next season, and if that does happen, Toms will be even further down the pecking order, so will be interesting to see if he wants to come back.

Ocko

Toms was a bit of a strange signing for me. Lord has his reasons for not playing him, which I agree with, but surely it would be better he stayed at Swindon rather than warming the bench here.

I must admit I found it very odd to begin with; I watch a fair bit of Swindon as I'm based there so if it doesn't clash with Devils I'll usually watch them. And without putting the lad down too much, he is very average at that level. Phil Hill had twice the points of him last season and he's nowhere near EIHL level anymore. If we get Craig Moore again next season I hope we don't waste Toms' time.

wildthing74

Personally l like him and think will develop into,a fantastic player. With the u23 rule it was no brainer for me especially as we don't seem to have a local guy in that age category ready to step up. Moore for sure will be ahead of him but he's three years older with two full seasons of EIHL experience.

Rutkis has shown enough that he has potential and arguably is a better prospect than CJ was when you compare where he was when he first came into the squad.

The rule about u23 is a good rule and the league need to keep it for the long term good and then coaches need to trust these kids and play them not just against each other.Sadly I think the rule will likely go by the wayside when the number of almost ready guys dry up so likes of Toms probably will not get a sniff of EIHL.