EIHL: a third tier league?

Thread starter #1
Many people have said the the quality of the EIHL is equivalent to the third tier of North American Hockey, with the NHL being 1st and the AHL being second.

What about the other leagues of Europe and the rest of the world? How do they 'rank' if you will?

Johnnybravo1927

Many people have said the the quality of the EIHL is equivalent to the third tier of North American Hockey, with the NHL being 1st and the AHL being second.

What about the other leagues of Europe and the rest of the world? How do they 'rank' if you will?
I have been told this as well by a player who has played both ECHL and EIHL.

Wannabe2

We play Nth American style hockey over here, not euro style so we have to compare with the that style, ECHL easily.

Samael

KHL is a different style of hockey, also we lost both pre season games against the KHL version of a team like Fife, comprehensively, so how do you work out that KHL is a lower level league than the EIHL? Your comment is either sarcasm or you are talking crap.
KHL is lower than EIHL, really, nobody remembers pre season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

Few loose wires here methinks, the first question was is the EIHL equivalent compared to third tier in Nth America, and that's probably true. The second question was how does the EIHL compare in Europe, and the EIHL would compare much lower

Devil_Abroad

Definitely crossed wires here - can't see anyone posting that EIHL is a better league than the KHL - unless it's been deleted?

terry hunt

I dont believe this statement for a second.The way the EIHL and its coaches abuse officials (regardless of their competence) as has been happening lately is really amateurish and sounds like local park sports.

pjj365

Some interesting reading

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...sweden-shl-finland-liiga-czech-germany-norway

There is loads more if you google the topic but a lot is very subjective. Allowing for that KHL is generally considered 2nd to NHL. This post gives some world wide views but interestingly I cannot find anything comparing various N America leagues with European ones

One old article ranks teams based on players contributed to NHL On this basis EIHL does not rank at all either in N America or European terms

As has been suggested the styles of hockey across Europe and N America mitigate against any worldwide comparisons

Electro

KHL is a different style of hockey, also we lost both pre season games against the KHL version of a team like Fife, comprehensively, so how do you work out that KHL is a lower level league than the EIHL? Your comment is either sarcasm or you are talking crap.
It pretty obvious sarcasm to the original post.

Electro

Whoever thinks the EIHL is equal to third tier in North America needs to find another sport.

We really need London to have a KHL team for some to compare, the pre season games where ok, but that level is so so so much better.

I'd watch KHL in London over Devils.

Last edited:

Devil94

Whoever thinks the EIHL is equal to third tier in North America needs to find another sport.

We really need London to have a KHL team for some to compare, the pre season games where ok, but that level is so so so much better.

I'd watch KHL in London over Devils.

Hopefully we'll see that level next pre season for the NHL v KHL game at IAW...