Devils vs Panthers - 19 + 20 Oct 19 - League

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Devils face Panthers home and away this weekend. Panthers will be looking to turn around a string of dismal results, and have just added Hansen (previously of the Blaze) to their roster.

BostonBart22

This is a make or break weekend for Tim wallace , this will be a really tough game for us as well after chl exploits, hopefully lordo got the players in a right frame of mind ..my prediction 3 point weekend for us...

This is a make or break weekend for Tim wallace , this will be a really tough game for us as well after chl exploits, hopefully lordo got the players in a right frame of mind ..my prediction 3 point weekend for us...
Hope Bowns has put those 9 conceded goals behind him and comes out like a brick wall,lord will have the team all fired up for these 2 games I'm going to say home win and overtime win panthers not been good this season so far

Wannabe2

Hopefully they are going to need more than just this geezer, we need to get back to business now guys, starting with the panthers.

osh

Hopefully they are going to need more than just this geezer, we need to get back to business now guys, starting with the panthers.
You may have missed my question to you on two other posts, so will try again. Are you satisfied/happy with our D performances this season ( and I make allowances for the 2 games against Frolunda who are amongst the best in Europe )

You may have missed my question to you on two other posts, so will try again. Are you satisfied/happy with our D performances this season ( and I make allowances for the 2 games against Frolunda who are amongst the best in Europe )
I will take that one if I may - as I think it's a very fair question.

I'd also caveat everything I'm about to say with the fact that I've never played the game at any adequate standard (always a hard balance when doing commentary!) and the fact that it's probably quite obvious that I'm a huge Andrew Lord fan.

I think the ingredients are in place for this to be a very good d-core. I particularly like the left/right shot balance. The Fournier/Richardson combination I would suggest is the envy of other teams - and I am talking defensively and not offensively - with Mark Richardson perhaps being the most pivotal player on the team who isn't called Ben Bowns.

We have 'tried and trusted' in Louis and Reddick. Louis brings size and great skating ability. Reddick brings complete tenacity and an energy level that always seems to get himself back on the right side of the puck even after pinching in.

I see a lot of upside in the new guys as well. Jardine has really good stick detail when he is mentally set - and again has excellent skating ability. McMonagle is smooth of the puck and his great hands.

However, there are personal concerns that I have (which I believe can be rectified).

I'm not sure if Mark Louis is still feeling the effects of an injury (I seem to remember a blocked shot at home which stunned him and something being reported in a Guilford away game) but to me it seems like his time on ice is way down. Personally (but this is where I'd always bow to Lordo) it seems that Louis can sometimes be too easily sacrificed when chasing a game. The last 30 minutes against Dundee (I might be wrong) but I'm not sure he would have played more than 2 or 3 minutes. I get that the other 5 d-men probably have more offensive upside - but I'm a big fan of Louis as a 'gamer' - the more difficult a situation, the more likely that he will be one of the guys to step up. I also think he needs to be in the flow of a game. When his shifts are reduced, he really beats himself up if he doesn't do everything perfectly.

I really do think Jardine has huge potential - and could be a Devil for years to come. I do really like his ability to get his stick in the lanes to break up play. He can skate superbly for his size - and whilst he might not throw huge hits - he does use his body to create effective separation. However, I do get the impression he is suffering with 'Bryce Reddick First 2 Months Syndrome'. When he is on the ice, I get the impression he always feels the need to effect the play - and despite the good intentions, this can lead to some poor decision making. With his size and skating ability - he doesn't need to over commit when trying to keep guys to the outside. He also has mental lapses which I'm sure Lordo will deal with.

McMonagle is a tricky one. He is clearly a very skilled hockey player. I'm also keen to express again that my reading of the game might be completely wrong not having played it. However, I do feel that most odd man rushes/middle lane drives are happening on his shifts on the moment. In the last few weeks, his decision making when looking to make an aggressive pinch has seemed very off to me. Also (and maybe this comes from my football background) when facing a guy up and looking to keep him to the outside it has surprised me on occasions that he has moved/committed first - giving the forward an opportunity to read the situation and use it to his advantage. I'd always prefer the d-man just to angle the forward away from the net - and make the forward try and force the play.

...again - I could be completely wrong.

I would say that I expect this d-core to still be our d-core in April - and I expect them to have some trophies to show for it.

Apologies for a very long post - I don't get to let out my hockey opinions much these days! Also, Osh - I always respect your posts whether I agree with them or not.

Cheers,

John

Swarley

Well they've got a noisey section they're bringing down to fill block 12 as well lol shame 13 isn't standing this weekend as I feel it'll really effect that end of the arena being deafened by panther chants.

Earnie

Almost without fail Panthers give us a difficult game at home and away. Just because they have had a poor run it would be foolish to underestimate them. Looks like it is going to be a full house.

Slartibartfast

I agree with a lot of what John said. Jardin looks really strong when coming forwards but he does make some doozies. Like throwing the puck backwards into the slot for a Frolunda forward to pick up. A certain Mr Hotham used to do some crazy stuff that would make you cringe but look at what he became. Im not saying Jardin is a Hotham (before anyone jumps on that) but I do think he will come good under Lordos direction.
Mcmonagle has the potential to score a lot of goals. He reads things well from the blue line and is very composed. My only worry is his ability to pin an opponent to the board. A few times I have expected a hip check and pin but it hasn't come. Reddick isn't the biggest of fellas but his aggression and tenacity makes up for it.
Reddick took a while to settle and had an horrendous time on this forum but I haven't heard a bad word said about him for a long time.
I think we need to give the new guys a chance. They may not have won us all over yet but they certainly are not gone by Xmas guys.

CaldicotDevil

I agree with a lot of what John said. Jardin looks really strong when coming forwards but he does make some doozies. Like throwing the puck backwards into the slot for a Frolunda forward to pick up. A certain Mr Hotham used to do some crazy stuff that would make you cringe but look at what he became. Im not saying Jardin is a Hotham (before anyone jumps on that) but I do think he will come good under Lordos direction.
Mcmonagle has the potential to score a lot of goals. He reads things well from the blue line and is very composed. My only worry is his ability to pin an opponent to the board. A few times I have expected a hip check and pin but it hasn't come. Reddick isn't the biggest of fellas but his aggression and tenacity makes up for it.
Reddick took a while to settle and had an horrendous time on this forum but I haven't heard a bad word said about him for a long time.
I think we need to give the new guys a chance. They may not have won us all over yet but they certainly are not gone by Xmas guys.
Agree, Jardine looks like a player with a great hockey pedigree and high hockey IQ. He’s just a young player who’s gone to a foreign league trying to adapt. I get the feeling something is going to happen soon and it’s all going to fall into place for him. He just needs that spark whether it’s a scrap or a big GWG. He’s played well since he’s got here but I get the feeling he’s got a lot more to give.

I will take that one if I may - as I think it's a very fair question.

I'd also caveat everything I'm about to say with the fact that I've never played the game at any adequate standard (always a hard balance when doing commentary!) and the fact that it's probably quite obvious that I'm a huge Andrew Lord fan.

I think the ingredients are in place for this to be a very good d-core. I particularly like the left/right shot balance. The Fournier/Richardson combination I would suggest is the envy of other teams - and I am talking defensively and not offensively - with Mark Richardson perhaps being the most pivotal player on the team who isn't called Ben Bowns.

We have 'tried and trusted' in Louis and Reddick. Louis brings size and great skating ability. Reddick brings complete tenacity and an energy level that always seems to get himself back on the right side of the puck even after pinching in.

I see a lot of upside in the new guys as well. Jardine has really good stick detail when he is mentally set - and again has excellent skating ability. McMonagle is smooth of the puck and his great hands.

However, there are personal concerns that I have (which I believe can be rectified).

I'm not sure if Mark Louis is still feeling the effects of an injury (I seem to remember a blocked shot at home which stunned him and something being reported in a Guilford away game) but to me it seems like his time on ice is way down. Personally (but this is where I'd always bow to Lordo) it seems that Louis can sometimes be too easily sacrificed when chasing a game. The last 30 minutes against Dundee (I might be wrong) but I'm not sure he would have played more than 2 or 3 minutes. I get that the other 5 d-men probably have more offensive upside - but I'm a big fan of Louis as a 'gamer' - the more difficult a situation, the more likely that he will be one of the guys to step up. I also think he needs to be in the flow of a game. When his shifts are reduced, he really beats himself up if he doesn't do everything perfectly.

I really do think Jardine has huge potential - and could be a Devil for years to come. I do really like his ability to get his stick in the lanes to break up play. He can skate superbly for his size - and whilst he might not throw huge hits - he does use his body to create effective separation. However, I do get the impression he is suffering with 'Bryce Reddick First 2 Months Syndrome'. When he is on the ice, I get the impression he always feels the need to effect the play - and despite the good intentions, this can lead to some poor decision making. With his size and skating ability - he doesn't need to over commit when trying to keep guys to the outside. He also has mental lapses which I'm sure Lordo will deal with.

McMonagle is a tricky one. He is clearly a very skilled hockey player. I'm also keen to express again that my reading of the game might be completely wrong not having played it. However, I do feel that most odd man rushes/middle lane drives are happening on his shifts on the moment. In the last few weeks, his decision making when looking to make an aggressive pinch has seemed very off to me. Also (and maybe this comes from my football background) when facing a guy up and looking to keep him to the outside it has surprised me on occasions that he has moved/committed first - giving the forward an opportunity to read the situation and use it to his advantage. I'd always prefer the d-man just to angle the forward away from the net - and make the forward try and force the play.

...again - I could be completely wrong.

I would say that I expect this d-core to still be our d-core in April - and I expect them to have some trophies to show for it.

Apologies for a very long post - I don't get to let out my hockey opinions much these days! Also, Osh - I always respect your posts whether I agree with them or not.

Cheers,

John
I thought this was a thread about the 2 games not about the players maybe have a new thread about the above john

osh

I thought this was a thread about the 2 games not about the players maybe have a new thread about the above john
so, make a comment about the two games then. I’m hoping for a good home performance and if we get the win, I think we’ll win tomorrow as well.