Devils Vs Giants - PO Semi Final - 20th April - FO 19:00

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Who doesn't love a giant semi? With that out of the way ...
Devils are through to the final four in Nottingham and face the Giants in the second match of the day. A place in the final vs Flames or steelers (lets face it, its the steelers) is on the line. Devils have largely had the number of the Giants this season winning the series 4-2 (with 2 more pre-season wins) but this is playoff hockey and anything can happen.

Wannabe2

This one is a pure lottery, and is without a doubt the tougher semi of the two. As has been said many times this season if Team Jekyl turn up we will be in the final, if team Hyde turn up we are out. The fans will be right behind the lads, let’s hope the team are right behind the fans. Anyway good luck lads you are capable of beating anyone, we all know that.

moggy#9

I imagined that most Steelers fans will be supporting Belfast. I think that, on our day, we're the only team that can stop the Steelers. The problem is, as wannabe suggested, I'm just not confident of this devils team turning up.

I see there's a promotion for premier sports, so that should do nicely to cover the finals and the GB matches.

EIHLPLAYOFFS £9.99 a month for two months

ASHIPP

How much do the Devils want to go through to the Final? There is actually very little difference between Giants and Devils....both have goalies playing (by and large) well, both teams have been inconsistent throughout the season, both teams have beaten eachother this season.

It's as much about desire, determination, focus as it is about skill on the day. It's a one-off opportunity to go through....let's hope our Guys want it (and execute it) more. When they play that natural, uncomplicated, precise style with edge and discipline, they have done well. Just keep it simple and focussed. Our fans will be right behind them all the way. The journey can't be over yet.

Last edited:

Swarley

If the team turns up and sets the tone within the first ten minutes then we stand a chance at making it to the finals, but we've blown hot and cold all season and the run up to the playoffs haven't shown Bowns or our D to be on top form.

BostonBart22

This one is a pure lottery, and is without a doubt the tougher semi of the two. As has been said many times this season if Team Jekyl turn up we will be in the final, if team Hyde turn up we are out. The fans will be right behind the lads, let’s hope the team are right behind the fans. Anyway good luck lads you are capable of beating anyone, we all know that.
anything can happen with knockout hockey, Flames have just hit peak going into weekend and need a revenge win over sheffield, lge results suggest we got a better chance v belfast, we can do this, Devils to win 5...1

Quietly confident of it being turned up to 11. Obvious we've blown hot and cold this year, but lot of the stinkers (bar the 5-1 loss to the orange at home but i digress..) have been in what's been seen as less big games. We've seen a whole other side of some players like Alderson in big games and conti cup finals and I can't see them not getting up for it.

I imagine it's difficult for a lot of new NA imports to the eihl to equivalate the league as the priority compared to playoffs. Can't imagine too many of them grew up dreaming of winning the presidents trophy..

moggy#9

Quietly confident of it being turned up to 11. Obvious we've blown hot and cold this year, but lot of the stinkers (bar the 5-1 loss to the orange at home but i digress..) have been in what's been seen as less big games. We've seen a whole other side of some players like Alderson in big games and conti cup finals and I can't see them not getting up for it.

I imagine it's difficult for a lot of new NA imports to the eihl to equivalate the league as the priority compared to playoffs. Can't imagine too many of them grew up dreaming of winning the presidents trophy..
But then the Stanley cup is a long slog to win. Not like our Micky mouse competition, which is little more than excuse for fans to get pissed and the league to fill their coffers.

Potentially winning the second most prestigious tournament with 3 victories (if goal difference worked in your favour), as opposed to the 16 wins (potentially with multiple over times) is no comparison.

100% a fair point but I imagine telling friends and family back home that you've won the playoffs in front of 6+ thousand people is a lot more appealing than you've beaten Fife 6 times to lift the league

ASHIPP

When a team wants the kudos of winning a competition, they will get up for it whatever it is.
Did the Devils try less in the Continental Cup because it is a different format to the CHL games? Of course not.

moggy#9

100% a fair point but I imagine telling friends and family back home that you've won the playoffs in front of 6+ thousand people is a lot more appealing than you've beaten Fife 6 times to lift the league
Lol. That's fair. I do feel that the overall achievement is over done though. That's how we got lumbered with Dupont. Also, back in the Heineken era you at least had to win a round robin stage to get to Wembley.

moggy#9

When a team wants the kudos of winning a competition, they will get up for it whatever it is.
Did the Devils try less in the Continental Cup because it is a different format to the CHL games? Of course not.
But even if you're seeded at the highest level you have to play 6 matches against quality opposition. If you enter at an earlier stage, the challenge is even greater.

For me to see the play offs as having any significance the balance with the challenge cup has to be redressed. Until then I just see the whole thing as an opportunity to deny Sheffield a clean sweep.

E.D.S.

Just make it competitive. Be competitive. Be tenacious and a pain to play against and I’ll be happy, I love the playoff weekend but it’s a farcical trophy. I’ll have a good time regardless, I just want us to leave it all out there and take a big step up from recent performances.

ASHIPP

Our Club have come up trumps again with another Playoff Watch Party at the Arena for the semis on Saturday.:cool: Details on Devils X pages. Fans need to book. A proven successful event.