Devils Antibullying Videos

Thread starter #1
For those of you not on Twitter I've just watched these two videos on there from Bowns and Reddick about their experiences while playing for the club.

OJLloyd

The treatment of Reddick was disgraceful. I’m sure 99% of those posting things were just being passionate, but they need to think of the impact of their words.
As well as simply remembering their manners, on twitter or in the real world.
Imagine if someone spoke to you like that, or your child or partner.

As for the Bownsy one, those people should be identified and banned. Disgusting stuff.

Mooney#16

You just can't help but get angry for those two guys watching these. I have to say that as much as Devils fan base loves to big itself up when the chips are down it turns into a proper toxic mob. No arguement history proves it. If I have to read someone post they are entitled to an opinion one more time. Yes you're entitled but if you're talking arse you deserve to be called on it. Opinion isn't alternative facts. It's just flat out BS if you're wrong. And there are a lot of people with significantly over inflated views of the value of their opinion that they think they are actually qualified to speak on a subject they a woefully uneducated to speak on. People seem to have lost the ability to self filter bordering on common decency. Think about the impact of your words not just indulging your own personal inadequacies onto others. That's where it becomes bullying. Using another person's pain to cheer yourself up. Sick it what it is.

Devils are in a hole right now. Some want to heap more pressure on and give it to the players. Completely counter productive. You simply won't get what you crave and as Bownsy said will make them all question why they even want to be here. Get behind the team. Support them. At the next game make some bloody noise and be a difference maker. To be frank the supporters have been crap through this slump as much as the players. Question yourselves as well as the team. Keeping toxic energy close to the team will see them continue to stumble. The fans need to be called out just as much. You think you're the best in the league. Prove it the next few weeks. Get off your soap boxes and get on with supporting your team. No one cares about your opinion. They care about the atmosphere you can bring to game night. If you are a true fan time to step up.

Wannabe2

You just can't help but get angry for those two guys watching these. I have to say that as much as Devils fan base loves to big itself up when the chips are down it turns into a proper toxic mob. No arguement history proves it. If I have to read someone post they are entitled to an opinion one more time. Yes you're entitled but if you're talking arse you deserve to be called on it. Opinion isn't alternative facts. It's just flat out BS if you're wrong. And there are a lot of people with significantly over inflated views of the value of their opinion that they think they are actually qualified to speak on a subject they a woefully uneducated to speak on. People seem to have lost the ability to self filter bordering on common decency. Think about the impact of your words not just indulging your own personal inadequacies onto others. That's where it becomes bullying. Using another person's pain to cheer yourself up. Sick it what it is.

Devils are in a hole right now. Some want to heap more pressure on and give it to the players. Completely counter productive. You simply won't get what you crave and as Bownsy said will make them all question why they even want to be here. Get behind the team. Support them. At the next game make some bloody noise and be a difference maker. To be frank the supporters have been crap through this slump as much as the players. Question yourselves as well as the team. Keeping toxic energy close to the team will see them continue to stumble. The fans need to be called out just as much. You think you're the best in the league. Prove it the next few weeks. Get off your soap boxes and get on with supporting your team. No one cares about your opinion. They care about the atmosphere you can bring to game night. If you are a true fan time to step up.
Really well said, and spot on. When you are pretty low there’s only one way to go, and that’s up. Getting back up will be far easier if we all pull together, after all us fans and our lads all want the same thing so let’s go and get it.We lose together, and we win and celebrate together. We want to see our players giving their all for our club, but we also have a role to play, let’s start this on Saturday against a very strong Panthers team. It’s a old saying but still very true, United we stand, Divided we fall, it’s not time to fall guys.

Earnie

I am shocked and dismayed that such things should happen to our players!
I don't do social media of any kind which has to be a good thing. Can not the originators of such messages be named and shamed and prevented from watching ice hockey games at IAW?

Last edited:

jimmy snels

i mean this is just bull shit. i jokingly thought to myself "i wish he hit that hard on sunday! :eek:". i didnt expect some idiot to tag him in such a negative horrible post. its not going to help.

Mazzoak

Just checked his Twitter account, he’s on a full on rant, he’s tagging owners, players, the organisation. It might be a good idea to ban him from games for his own safety.

jimmy snels

there's a huge difference between lamenting a poor team performance and debating areas you think we can improve and this. not a fan of this at all. just checked twitter myself. oh god...

Gazr76

Weird world we live in. I always thought you should support your team through good times and bad. Positivity breeds positivity. Look for the positives. They are there.

Maybe some of these people weren't around for the really bad times, like the Phillips years or the Matt Burge saga. As a club we're probably in the best position we've ever been in, but we've got no God-given right to win every game. This is sport - there'll always be a few losses along the way, despite the quality of the roster. It's always frustrating to see the over-reaction whenever we lose a game (which hasn't been very often under Andrew). Those "fans" who personally insulted Bownsy need to take a good look at themselves. He's good enough to play for any team in our league, and beyond. We're lucky to have someone like him as a player, and as a person. The same goes for the rest of the squad.

Gazr76

One more thing actually.
Normally i wouldnt say anything. But i feel compelled to say something. Cardiff Devils fans are classy. The most classy fans in UK hockey. I moved to Coventry circa 2000, after living in Cardiff in the late 1990's. When i went to games in Coventry, lets just say I saw a different 'class of fan'. A whole different experience.
After watching the Bownsy video here it makes me sad, really sad actually that there are some of you that feel the need to behave like this (I know it's a minority).
For gods sake, please show the hockey community that you are still are the same passionate, hockey knowledgeable, spirited, class filled fans of old!!
Cardiff Devils are THE Best team. With THE Best fans in the UK. Don't let the minority spoil the legacy.

Rich Best

My God people. Off the back of this I would ask the moderators here to start silencing people on this forum who single out individual players in what could be classed as a bullying way. You really don't have to look too hard to find the clearly negative people, there is no balance in their sentiment.

Bownsey has been pivotal in winning us trophies over the last few years. To hear someone like him say that our 'fans' have made him question whether he wants to be here, is seriously worrying.

We also had Steve King taking a break from the forum and social media last year because he was frustrated with the negativity and abuse directed at the organisation.

People, the fall is a LOT faster than the climb to success in sport. If we push this negativity and lack of support and atmosphere on game night we will lose the very people that have put us back on the map.

As the poster above has said, I think a lot of people have either only become fans in the last 4/5 years or have very short memories!

Would it be possible to add a 'bully' button to posts, so it is easier to report unreasonably negative posts that single our individual players?

I love how everyone is super concearned because it's the players ...I think a lot of people should take a look at the bigger picture here for a second before getting up on their high horses. The amount of abuse I've seen the officials take in person is unreal. In fact, just last week I witnessed a fully grown man screaming at Darnell about a meter away from him and spitting everywhere - the stuff he was saying was absolutely rotten and that's not exactly an isolated incident.

I agree that it's ok to have an opinion, but you don't have to take it further than that and confront them, players/officials or anyone. They're human just like us and not one of them actively go onto the ice each night trying to put in a bad performance to wind us fans up.

august04

Let’s get some perspective here - Bowns refers to a couple of people that abused him and his girlfriend. That’s two people. Of course, that’s two people too many and they should be identified and banned for life, but still that’s two people out of 3000. Every fan base has its idiots, that’s just the way it is sadly. Also, if you encourage an excessive drinking culture at games too, by openly welcoming stag parties etc., then you’re only increasing the chance of even more anti-social and abusive behaviour. We see it most Saturdays unfortunately - and I’m sure it’s prevalent at every EIHL arena, not just in Cardiff.

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
My God people. Off the back of this I would ask the moderators here to start silencing people on this forum who single out individual players in what could be classed as a bullying way. You really don't have to look too hard to find the clearly negative people, there is no balance in their sentiment.

Bownsey has been pivotal in winning us trophies over the last few years. To hear someone like him say that our 'fans' have made him question whether he wants to be here, is seriously worrying.

We also had Steve King taking a break from the forum and social media last year because he was frustrated with the negativity and abuse directed at the organisation.

People, the fall is a LOT faster than the climb to success in sport. If we push this negativity and lack of support and atmosphere on game night we will lose the very people that have put us back on the map.

As the poster above has said, I think a lot of people have either only become fans in the last 4/5 years or have very short memories!

Would it be possible to add a 'bully' button to posts, so it is easier to report unreasonably negative posts that single our individual players?
Whilst the sentiment is admirable, we're not going to start censoring people for having an opinion one way or another. That is why the ignore function exists on the forum.

We've gone out of our way to let people post what they pretty much want for the last 10 years, mainly because previous forums for the Devils fans have been heavily censored.

I'd suggest that you have a read of the following thread:

http://the-inferno.co.uk/forum/inde...not-to-complain-a-message-to-all-users.11388/

And particularly these parts of the thread/post:
If someone posts something you disagree with you have 3 options; You can post a response indicating where you believe the poster is incorrect, attack the points made by all means but don't attack the poster; Secondly you can place a report stating objectively why you think the poster is out of order. Please only use this to indicate to us if you believe the poster is breaking forum rules, not just because you disagree with the poster; Thirdly you can choose to ignore it, there is a block function available if you find a person increasingly annoying which will remove their posts from the forum for you.
&
It's just myself and Chris running and paying for the forum now, please make our lives easier by being civil and remember that we don't claim to endorse all of the posts on here, but with the historical management issues that we have had we believe it is important to provide a place for most things to be discussed ice hockey related, good or bad, positive or negative.