DeLuca

Where I work we get periodically drugs tested, and I've known people get picked up for heart medication. I daresay there's a second test in the works to confirm what the first found (it's usually the way).

I'm not defending DeLuca at all, especially not if he's taken performance enhancing drugs. But I'm not slinging any mud until we get more info.

Ejercito Rojas

Back in the day when I was playing sport we used to get regular and updated lists of what over the counter medication that you could or couldn’t take.
We also had a list of ALL banned substances so you could check against the chemical make up of any medication that for some reason wasn’t on the list.
Ephedrine and Pseudo Ephedrine are common place in cold remedies and decongestants but are well known banned substances so there really is no excuse as a professional athlete to use the ” I only took a cold remedy “ in mitigation!
If a professional athlete has taken a Sudafed type product you may feel sorry for him but that athlete should know better!
This is not to say that DeLuca has in fact taken any banned substance at this point.

kettdevil1

Where I work we get periodically drugs tested, and I've known people get picked up for heart medication. I daresay there's a second test in the works to confirm what the first found (it's usually the way).

I'm not defending DeLuca at all, especially not if he's taken performance enhancing drugs. But I'm not slinging any mud until we get more info.
Yep, exactly. Some of the comments on Twitter are both distasteful and also potentially libellous. We don’t know the substance so until more details are released then I think we need to be careful. The league and Sheffield have done the right thing in suspending him (presumably before his second test) so…. Let’s see what happens

rolf

My nephew is an auditor and he was drug tested and failed for an opiate before being allowed into a Ministry of Defence base for his work. His crime? After trace element analysis it seems he had eaten bread with a poppy seed covered crust. Some tests can be uber sensitive....he was subsequently allowed access. Not trying to defend this guy here, just offering some perspective maybe.

Ejercito Rojas

Opioids are really tricky as Rolf says simply eating poppy seeds can get you a ban but taking codeine
(an opioid) I believe is not on the athletes banned substances list!

kettdevil1

Opioids are really tricky as Rolf says simply eating poppy seeds can get you a ban but taking codeine
(an opioid) I believe is not on the athletes banned substances list!
Indeed. Interestingly nor is tramadol which has all sorts of issues associated with it. It is a minefield trying to negotiate the banned list but the law of strict liability remains in place so every athlete is responsible for what they put in their body so…. Whatever the substance, if the second test is positive then de Luca is in trouble

James

Administrator
Some Steelers fans are saying we shouldn’t prejudge and it could be Sudafed, others are saying he’s well known to be a fiend for the old marching powder. So difficult to know what to think

moggy#9

If it's a cold remedy then that reflects poorly on him and the Steelers for not being aware of what's on the prohibited list. If it is something more illicit, then the league has to come down severely and give a long term ban. I find it incredible that some Steelers fans have come out on Twitter as apparently condoning drug use.

If it's something he's taken innocently or by mistake, who are we to judge, if its performance enhancing then he should be gassed never showing his face in the uk again, I'll not make any further comment until details of what he's taken are available, on a side note if it is enhancing then steelers should be docked points

JT666

Some Steelers fans are saying we shouldn’t prejudge and it could be Sudafed, others are saying he’s well known to be a fiend for the old marching powder. So difficult to know what to think
Signed to play on the blue line and looks like he’s been on the white line all season.

rolf

We can laugh here but I remember not too long ago we signed Jason Rushton for next to nothing after he failed drug tests at Ayr and then Romford due to his recreational habit. We knew what we were getting. We looked the other way......We eventually gassed him after he beat the shit out of one of the devils fans in the Springbok bar after a game. Old time hockey. I miss those days))))

If a Steelers fan told me the sky was blue, I'd look up and check.

Ocko

We can laugh here but I remember not too long ago we signed Jason Rushton for next to nothing after he failed drug tests at Ayr and then Romford due to his recreational habit. We knew what we were getting. We looked the other way......We eventually gassed him after he beat the shit out of one of the devils fans in the Springbok bar after a game. Old time hockey. I miss those days))))
We also had Patrick Bordealeu, who has admitted to having a substance issue whilst with us. DeLuca is just the one who was caught.