CHL 2021/22

Devil94

Thread starter #1
New information released today regarding the draw for the CHL.

https://www.championshockeyleague.com/en/news/group-stage-draw-may-19-18-00-cet

Draw takes place on May 19th. Planned first round is August 29th.
The draw itself looks a bit complicated, but I think for us the only change is that we wont have a team from Austria or Italy. Otherwise its 3 other teams from the shareholder leagues as usual.

Last edited:

moggy#9

New information released today regarding the draw for the CHL.

https://www.championshockeyleague.com/en/news/group-stage-draw-may-19-18-00-cet

Draw takes place on May 19th. Planned first round is August 29th.
The draw itself looks a bit complicated, but I think for us the only change is that we wont have a team from Austria or Italy. Otherwise its 3 other teams from the shareholder leagues as usual.
Interesting that the UK is the second highest ranked challenger league. There may be one or two higher ranked teams who would consider us a banana skin to avoid.

Devil94

Thread starter #3
With a planned start in August, and a high possibility that the Elite League will start later than usual, I wonder how we will get around that.

Earnie

Surely this is desperately difficult for the owners and management.
Financially bonkers to put a team together without knowing if there is an Elite League programme to follow. We need some positive vibrations from WAG and other home nations and we need it soon.

moggy#9

Surely this is desperately difficult for the owners and management.
Financially bonkers to put a team together without knowing if there is an Elite League programme to follow. We need some positive vibrations from WAG and other home nations and we need it soon.
The only way well get anything out of the assembly is to nag them constantly with the support of other sports. The league needs to propose a way forward and drive the debate.

Wannabe2

Myself and it’s only my opinion, I would knock this competition on the head this season, we are trying to go from lockdown no hockey, to full blown take it all on. I would have thought we would be hoping for a start from Sept/Oct/Nov, without flying here and flying there, for myself the CHL wouldn’t be a great loss, although for some it’s the icing on the cake, finance wise no idea but most others manage without it. As I say having a season back would be a god send, anything else at this moment would surely just be one big hassle.

moggy#9

I take your point, but the way things are going the UK may end up being in a much better state of readiness than some of the other leagues.

SteveKing

Folks, I personally love the CHL. I think it’s great to grow our league, it’s been exciting for our club and our great fans and it also helps us for recruiting. So if there’s any way to do this, we’ll do it. The UK is well ahead of any other country in vaccinations so I’m optimistic about the fall. Exact timing and protocols obviously won’t be known for a while yet but we’re driving forward with our plans with the goal of full CHL and league play. Just like last year, there is nothing to gain by hiding. If things don’t go well, things can be canceled but if you haven’t done things to succeed, you’re in big trouble.

BostonBart22

As it stands we are on course for everything to be lifted june 21st so plenty of time to put a team together for a normal start to the season, got my 2nd jab 14th may , after that my hockey tops are having a freshen up and ready to rumble for our first lge game 25th sept...at home i hope....

Wannabe2

Folks, I personally love the CHL. I think it’s great to grow our league, it’s been exciting for our club and our great fans and it also helps us for recruiting. So if there’s any way to do this, we’ll do it. The UK is well ahead of any other country in vaccinations so I’m optimistic about the fall. Exact timing and protocols obviously won’t be known for a while yet but we’re driving forward with our plans with the goal of full CHL and league play. Just like last year, there is nothing to gain by hiding. If things don’t go well, things can be canceled but if you haven’t done things to succeed, you’re in big trouble.
Great reply Steve, and has certainly put me in my place, again solidifying your commitment to our great club and once again Amen to that and thank you. Fingers crossed now we keep moving forward and as we all know there’s NO PLACE LIKE HOME.

ASHIPP

As it stands we are on course for everything to be lifted june 21st so plenty of time to put a team together for a normal start to the season, got my 2nd jab 14th may , after that my hockey tops are having a freshen up and ready to rumble for our first lge game 25th sept...at home i hope....
With the caveat from the national government and the scientists that the data from the series of mass gathering and sporting experiments shows it is safe. All lifting of restrictions is always dependent upon the data.... and all 4 countries in UK agreeing to a similar way forward.
Let's keep hoping.

moggy#9

With the caveat from the national government and the scientists that the data from the series of mass gathering and sporting experiments shows it is safe. All lifting of restrictions is always dependent upon the data.... and all 4 countries in UK agreeing to a similar way forward.
Let's keep hoping.
Oh dear, I can remember few occasions when the four parts of the UK have agreed on anything.

RossDaws

18-29 year-olds starting to have their jabs in Wales. I've got my first on May 22nd and I'm 24 and healthy.

Plenty to be optimistic about and we should all bring positive energy.

Let's play some hockey!

Devil94

Thread starter #15
Wales are far ahead the other UK countries when it comes to vaccinations, fair play. We need the others to keep up.
And specifically on the CHL, after a slow and frustrating start, Europe has really picked up the pace, with Germany becoming the first European country to hit a million vaccinations in a day last week. Positive signs.

Leighton

The UK is doing an amazing job, Canada is seriously lagging behind. Alberta averaging 31,000 first doses a day, 6,300 second doses. On those numbers it'll be August before every adult has been offered a first dose. Back in lockdown here, pretty much everything closed except shops at 10% capacity, Ontario under a stay-at-home order.

kingmo19.1

The UK is doing an amazing job, Canada is seriously lagging behind. Alberta averaging 31,000 first doses a day, 6,300 second doses. On those numbers it'll be August before every adult has been offered a first dose. Back in lockdown here, pretty much everything closed except shops at 10% capacity, Ontario under a stay-at-home order.
Thanks for the update Leighton ..... just out of curiosity, what are your impressions of Canada since travelling over?