5 coaches needed

Mazzoak

Just listened to Franny and DuPont on Wallys pod-cast. Sounds like DuPont has been manoeuvring for a coaching position for a number of years so it wasn't a case of being thrown at it, more grasping the opportunity with both hands when it came. I'm certainly a lot more in favour of giving him a year to see what he could do after hearing him interviewed.
He came as Player Coach which makes me think he was plan B if needed and if not need could potentially become the future next long term Devils coach. As the rumours continue I’m more convinced he’s signed at the least as an assistant coach or possible the next coach, although either way I’d expect an announcement soon.

He came as Player Coach which makes me think he was plan B if needed and if not need could potentially become the future next long term Devils coach. As the rumours continue I’m more convinced he’s signed at the least as an assistant coach or possible the next coach, although either way I’d expect an announcement soon.
After listening to 4000 & Counting I thought DuPont was going to get a shot as Head Coach next year, but after listening to him and Franny on 2ales&Hockey tales it sounds like that is less likely. It seems to be a lot less "Well, we'll see what happens" "I've gotta have a meeting" etc.

One Point that everyone seems to gloss over is that the Devils PK and the PP were both very strong all year which were Skalde's systems and style. There's no denying there seemed to be a significant lift in energy after the change was made, but perhaps the best blend was Skalde's systems and Brodie's man management/attitude?! Being Head Coach from day one is a very different challenge to getting an established team over the line. Though for what it's worth I think Brodie and Franny did a fantastic job to close the season out.

kingmo19.1

Tough one for Todd to call and would probably had been an easier decision had we been blown out in the playoff semi final!

Reminds me of Roberto Di Matteo’s stint at Chelsea - went in as Asst Manager, they sacked the Manager (Villas Boas), Di Matteo took over, won the champions league, got appointed full time coach for next season and was then sacked before the season had concluded (not that I wish that on DuPont if he gets the gig - just a lot of similarities).

Rempel16

Tough one for Todd to call and would probably had been an easier decision had we been blown out in the playoff semi final!
I agree with that.

I suppose it comes down to what they've seen / like of Dupont in his role as assistant and then as head coach. I don't think his passion or committment can be questioned and perhaps his meticulous planning and video work leans more towards the way that Lord worked, and we know he ate, slept and breathed the Devils.

I always got the impression that Skalde didn't care for the badge as much.

James

Administrator
After listening to 4000 & Counting I thought DuPont was going to get a shot as Head Coach next year, but after listening to him and Franny on 2ales&Hockey tales it sounds like that is less likely. It seems to be a lot less "Well, we'll see what happens" "I've gotta have a meeting" etc.
That could work both ways. If he were to have had that meeting in-between pod-casts (I've no idea how many days there were in-between recordings if any) he would be in a different position. Not able to say anything rather than not knowing anything. There were one or two awkward silences when Wally mentioned it and he didn't push the argument. All speculation of course

moggy#9

Dupont seems an amiable guy and appears to be good at man management. I've not really seen any evidence of him having a bag full of tricks and tactics to win difficult games though. That's what worries me. If he gets the job I just hope it's because he's convinced Todd that he's the right guy, rather than the easy choice.

Mazzoak

One Point that everyone seems to gloss over is that the Devils PK and the PP were both very strong all year which were Skalde's systems and style. There's no denying there seemed to be a significant lift in energy after the change was made, but perhaps the best blend was Skalde's systems and Brodie's man management/attitude?! Being Head Coach from day one is a very different challenge to getting an established team over the line. Though for what it's worth I think Brodie and Franny did a fantastic job to close the season out.
Gives weight to someone else maybe lined up who’s not yet committed, which from an outsiders armchair perspective seems a risk, particularly if fans are expecting trophies and the whole aiming for the top. You get closer to the top if you stop throwing the dice at people who aren’t your number one choice & what you’ve left yourself with.

Mazzoak

I always got the impression that Skalde didn't care for the badge as much.
Skalde is ex NHL & its about results not badge honour, Todd & Steve would know that, crying & showing emotion is great for British fans, doesn’t always translate into success. If it did Lord would’ve won the treble every year, until he decided to drop the Devils in it.

Kevlar68

Lets not forget in interviews hardly anything is given away until official announcement so his comments mean nothing really. He may know he has the job but can't say yet.
You get the same in football with signings, they skirt around the signing issue but already know its a done deal but we'll see.

BostonBart22

Skalde is ex NHL & its about results not badge honour, Todd & Steve would know that, crying & showing emotion is great for British fans, doesn’t always translate into success. If it did Lord would’ve won the treble every year, until he decided to drop the Devils in it.
Dropped the Devils in it...lol...our most successful coach ever ..Time to jog on MAZZO

Rempel16

It doesn’t translate into success ?
So is he the most successful Devils coach of all time or not?

Maybe Skalde would have seen out the season and beyond if he’d maybe taken a leaf out of Lord’s book…. Ex-NHL or not. The British game is different whether you like it or not. Perhaps he should have researched this. He had enough time to do so.

kingmo19.1

Drop the Devils in it? Jeez, you are deluded beyond all belief!

Mazzoak

It doesn’t translate into success ?
So is he the most successful Devils coach of all time or not?
I wrote ”Doesn’t always translate into success” and “ if it did Lord would’ve won the treble every year”.

Maybe Skalde would have seen out the season and beyond if he’d maybe taken a leaf out of Lord’s book…. Ex-NHL or not. The British game is different whether you like it or not. Perhaps he should have researched this. He had enough time to do so.
l can throw that back as if you’ve not done your due diligence and employed a passionate coach. We go back to Todd’s comments regarding Skalde not being the 1st choice and Lord dropping us in it…..so that may explain that lack of passion as he simply doesn’t have any.

Rempel16

I wrote ”Doesn’t always translate into success” and “ if it did Lord would’ve won the treble every year”.

l can throw that back as if you’ve not done your due diligence and employed a passionate coach. We go back to Todd’s comments regarding Skalde not being the 1st choice and Lord dropping us in it…..so that may explain that lack of passion as he simply doesn’t have any.
Perhaps Skalde made out that he was up for the passion, up for the task, but actually underestimated what it took… it’s a completely different environment to coaching in the US.

But of course, you’ll take every shot you can at Todd, Lord and the owners as you’re not a Devils fan. I’m beginning to think that your grudge is more personal than sporting.

How you can think that Lord dropped us in it by taking up a position to better and further his career baffles me. That’s like suggesting that no one should ever go for a career promotion. He didn’t even go mid-season.

Mazzoak

Perhaps Skalde made out that he was up for the passion, up for the task, but actually underestimated what it took… it’s a completely different environment to coaching in the US.
Perhaps, but as you just wrote, it’s a completely different environment to coaching in the USA. You know that, l know that, so………

Diablo3

So it seems the other 4 clubs have their coaches in place. If there is any truth to the rumour Corey Neilson is coming to the EIHL, there is only one advertised spot available.