5 coaches needed

BostonBart22

If that's true, and I've no reason to doubt you, then this is a failure that has to be laid directly at skalde and Todd's door. Signing a player as your first line centre who you knew wouldn't be fully fit until so late is scandalous.
Should've signed dupont in Oct/November then if they were rather desperate for him and got another in for the CHL..

moggy#9

Should've signed dupont in Oct/November then if they were rather desperate for him and got another in for the CHL..
Frankly they should have gone in a different direction from the start. You can't have a first line centre who isn't ready to play. It just underlines my opinion that, in retrospect, skalde just didn't get what was needed in our league.

terry hunt

Assuming the arguments are correct we need a coach with experience then the choices are obvious.
The Commer Q4 will have huge knowledge of the roads to the required destinations of the club.
Probably too expension fro the Devils so it looks like Whistle is the natural choice knows the EIHL,the Devils,fans etc but i dont know how TK sees working for his old captain and coach for many years

OJLloyd

(Not replying to you James, just adding to your point)

When DuPont was recruited by Skalde, Brodie told Skalde he wasn’t ready to play in August for CHL. He was 2 months behind on his training - and wouldn’t be ready until October/November. Skalde signed him anyway, and said it was fine.

Then, DuPont suffered a neck injury, which meant he couldn’t feel his legs at all…but he kept playing until we could find a replacement.

This guy is a Devil through and through in my opinion.
Sheesh. That’s showing some grapefruits.

Lord always gave the impression of being willing to run through a brick wall for the Devils, and it rubbed off on his players.

Not suggesting this should be the only factor, and we’d be hitting the jackpot twice to get lucky with two rookie coaches, but it’s a tick in his favour.

Who knows, he might not want the job. He might want to play on if he’s now healed up.

Steve only mentioned Franny and Todd in his post earlier, so who knows. Either way, if he were to be given a shot I wouldn’t be upset.

voth26

Assuming the arguments are correct we need a coach with experience then the choices are obvious.
The Commer Q4 will have huge knowledge of the roads to the required destinations of the club.
Probably too expension fro the Devils so it looks like Whistle is the natural choice knows the EIHL,the Devils,fans etc but i dont know how TK sees working for his old captain and coach for many years
I hope it's not whistle, the league has changed considerably since he was here last (I know he was with panthers recently)

Mazzoak

Sorry don’t buy the new coach is over ruling his boss, that’s an excuse laid on the door of the guy that got binned. If Skalde new to the U.K. was afforded that amount of authority, more fool Todd as he never afforded Lord that privilege.

moggy#9

I hope it's not whistle, the league has changed considerably since he was here last (I know he was with panthers recently)
Dave whistle is a lovely bloke and was really gracious when I interviewed him once, but I don't think he'd be the man for the job. One of the key criteria of have for the new coach is European experience, and I just don't think that whistle is up to date enough.

Devil94

Jeff Mason confirmed as GM and Head Coach for Dundee. Should be a good appointment, knows the league inside out and been successful as a player and behind the bench.

jenks33

UK Ice Hockey Rumours page was correct then. Looks like a sensible appointment by Dundee.

Just a reminder that the rumours account in question currently says Coughler has re-signed for next season and Bowns and Joey Martin are returning.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Corey Neilson one of the most decorated coaches in this league, including Continental Cup Champions with Panthers.

What's not to like? Panthers' fans absolutely slated the poor guy when he was there and after he left. Oh boy did they miss him last season with the mess at that club. You never know what you have got until it's gone.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Corey Neilson one of the most decorated coaches in this league, including Continental Cup Champions with Panthers.

What's not to like? Panthers' fans absolutely slated the poor guy when he was there and after he left. Oh boy did they miss him last season with the mess that became the Nottingham Panthers throughout that club. You never know what you have got until its gone.
He'd certainly tick all of the boxes that we're looking for in a coach.

James

Administrator
Just listened to Franny and DuPont on Wallys pod-cast. Sounds like DuPont has been manoeuvring for a coaching position for a number of years so it wasn't a case of being thrown at it, more grasping the opportunity with both hands when it came. I'm certainly a lot more in favour of giving him a year to see what he could do after hearing him interviewed.