4pm Faceoff ...

august04

Attendance today was 2924. Not exactly empty. I thought the atmosphere was actually better today than yesterday, the second period was electric and the last few minutes of the third was superb.

We just nearly sold out a Fife game (most of which were sold before Fife were on Fire), the day after a sold out Sheffield game. And we destroyed both teams.

Each to their own, and all opinions are welcome and valid. I for one though think we are having to look pretty hard for things to complain about this season.
3 blocks full of school kids though. Were they giveaways/reduced price tickets?
Agree that the atmosphere was better than last night but only because it was like a library in there last night due to the Steelers being so abysmal!
I get the need to try it but why not 5pm? That allows those who work in retail until 4pm on a Sunday, a chance to get to the game (maybe not all admittedly) and it’s still early enough to get the kids home at 7.30-8.00 for school the next day. It’s a very sensible compromise in my opinion and why TK was so adamant about a 4pm start, I just don’t know.

Last edited:

Pope#42

Always good to see a healthy debate - but I for one am not a fan of the 4pm face off. First time of the season I arrived late and unfortunately had a lot of people around me who just didn’t seem interested - not celebrating goals, not clapping etc. I know it’s each to their own but at times I also felt the atmosphere was a little dull.

The_Puck

Hated the 4pm face off tonight. It means I can’t watch the football game on tv at 1:30 every Sunday. But I’m sure it’ll grow on me. I don’t see how a 6pm face off is too late for kids who have school tomorrow? Back in bed for 9.

Hated the 4pm face off tonight. It means I can’t watch the football game on tv at 1:30 every Sunday. But I’m sure it’ll grow on me. I don’t see how a 6pm face off is too late for kids who have school tomorrow? Back in bed for 9.
I know I'm in the minority but I travel from Swansea for games, personally for me it would mean my kids aren't back home until 10 which is pretty late, especially as they're 7 and 11. But I also get the argument of if it ain't broke...

Why this debate is still going on it’s crazy.

Kelman says what time face off is and that’s how it goes. Only 3 more 4pm face off guys with 1 of them being New Year’s Day. I’m sure you can all cope.

E.D.S.

Just can’t fault Todd for trying something new. It epitomises how this club is run. It’s inclusive, progressive and willing to listen to its customer base. It’s a first for me in 30 years of attending.

James

Administrator
I'm more than happy with a 4pm face off ... if I'm home in Cardiff at the weekend. I can see myself missing more games if it were to go all Sunday games as I can usually just about get to the rink for face off of a 6pm game if I race down the M4 :) Not sure if it would be a factor in renewing my season ticket but it'd be something else to consider

Finny

Blooming typical that the one weekI have something else on a Sunday it's on a 4pm face off day. Although in the end I doubt I'd have been able to make it for a 6pm face off anyway.
On the whole I do like the idea of occasional 4pm face offs. And from what I saw on twitter after it seemed the fanbase is more positiive towards them than it appears on here.

As others have said, Fife games are rarely big crowds without kids being bussed in and with two games on the weekend most floating fans would have picked the Sheffield game.

Someone else mentioned that it also leads to less drinking at the games too. Must admit I was quite shocked when leaving Saturday's game how many groups were hanging around outside who appeared to be excessively drunk.

august04

Blooming typical that the one weekI have something else on a Sunday it's on a 4pm face off day. Although in the end I doubt I'd have been able to make it for a 6pm face off anyway.
On the whole I do like the idea of occasional 4pm face offs. And from what I saw on twitter after it seemed the fanbase is more positiive towards them than it appears on here.

As others have said, Fife games are rarely big crowds without kids being bussed in and with two games on the weekend most floating fans would have picked the Sheffield game.

Someone else mentioned that it also leads to less drinking at the games too. Must admit I was quite shocked when leaving Saturday's game how many groups were hanging around outside who appeared to be excessively drunk.
Agree on the Saturday games becoming a booze fest for large groups of newbies. Not sure if the club are aggressively targeting the student market but one minute we have the club promoting Sunday’s at 4pm to increase the amount of families and kids at the games, but on Saturdays, we have many groups of people there who seem only intent on getting plastered, generally behaving anti socially, larking around during the game and clearly not interested in anything that’s happening on the ice. It’s not an isolated occurrence either as I see it at most Saturday games in the block where I sit. Bar takings must be soaring though. If we’re so keen on getting more kids down at IAW, make the Saturday face off a little earlier too, might tone that sort of drunken behaviour down a touch.
Going back to Sunday’s game, it’s nothing new to give freebies/reduced price tickets to schools to encourage kids and future sales etc. We’ve done it many times. The cynic in me though wonders if we did it this time to avoid the 4pm face off looking a complete disaster in terms of crowd numbers. If we’re going early for a few games next season, 5pm for me is a sensible compromise, as already alluded to. But as someone mentioned already, it’s Kelman’s decision. As long as we know his plans for these early games before season tickets go on sale, then everyone can make an informed decision as to how much it effects them and whether a season ticket is for them still. No one can complain then.

Last edited:
Hate the 4pm face off, messes so many things up on a Sunday, 32 yrs of 6pm face offs without any problems. If it becomes the norm with me working Saturday it will be a final farewell after 32yrs. Suppose it had to finish some time.
Oh my god. A fan for 32 years through rink closures, playing out of a windy, fabric shack, years of terrible hockey... And you threaten to stop supporting over a couple of face offs a year being 2 hours earlier. Truly pathetic hahaha.

hip check

Didn't attend the Sunday game (S/T holder) because of circumstances a little bit out of my control, my better half had been down Essex since Fri night and was arriving back home (in Ponty) at approx 2.30 Sunday afternoon, hadn't seen her much since previous Wednesday due to shift work, she insisted I go but I thought better of it as these things have a habit of biting you up the arse at a later date.
Back to the subject in hand..I would've certainly gone and actually liked the idea of a 4pm face off, my better half likes to go to our favourite club on a Sunday night so 4pm would've suited us both fine.
On the subject of annoying half cut people being a pain on a SAT night we have the same problem in Block 4, right behind us we have studentish type people swearing and revealing all their sexual conquests non stop, the game actually seems like a secondary priority for them, starting to annoy me now as I'm trying to watch the game and all I can hear is their babble behind me, will have to have a word soon.
4pm fine by me.

august04

Oh my god. A fan for 32 years through rink closures, playing out of a windy, fabric shack, years of terrible hockey... And you threaten to stop supporting over a couple of face offs a year being 2 hours earlier. Truly pathetic hahaha.
If you read Wannabe2’s post, he clearly says “if it becomes the norm”, he’s not alluding to a couple of games. I’m sure others would be joining him too if every Sunday game was an early face off and they couldn’t make it. Seems a reasonable response to me if he can’t attend, not sure what you deem so pathetic?

If you read Wannabe2’s post, he clearly says “if it becomes the norm”, he’s not alluding to a couple of games. I’m sure others would be joining him too if every Sunday game was an early face off and they couldn’t make it. Seems a reasonable response to me if he can’t attend, not sure what you deem so pathetic?
This forum becomes more comical by the day

Wannabe2

Thanks mate that’s exactly what I meant, and I thought I had explained my views correctly. lots of Saturday games I have to miss due to work, that of course is my fault and my problem, but if I have to also have to miss Sunday's if 4 became the NORM, then however much I love this club, I can’t afford to throw money away. If that is pathetic to some then I feel sorry for them, it was my view like others make their valid views, what’s comical about that.