4pm F/off ...

Kevlar68

I think Kelman is just thinking long term and trying to appeal to a younger fanbase as the geriatrics from the wnir days who still pay good money into the club won't be around forever. He's a clever man and l'm glad he's the gm/md.
How is 4pm more appealing to a younger fan base than 6pm?
With working hours and days extending as years go on by the time the younger fan base become adults Sunday may have become a normal working day 9-5, so 4pm would have to change to a later time anyway. As it is many work till 4-5pm on a Sunday.

I don't see a problem with the odd 4pm but never a full change to that time for Sunday.

As for the geriatrics of the wnir, in the days of almost being rinkless, broke and the devils ceasing to exist it is those geriatrics who took to the streets of Cardiff city centre and stood by their team that kept the devils alive.

Last edited:

Gazza272

With working hours and days extending as years go on by the time the younger fan base become adults Sunday may have become a normal working day 9-5, so 4pm would have to change to a later time anyway. As it is many work till 4-5pm on a Sunday.

I don't see a problem with the odd 4pm but never a full change to that time for Sunday.

As for the geriatrics of the wnir, in the days of almost being rinkless, broke and the devils ceasing to exist it is those geriatrics who took to the streets of Cardiff city centre and stood by their team that kept the devils alive.

I don't like this Card being played to be honest Kev.

We fans have been more than rewarded for past efforts by the current regime. a face off being brought forward by a few hours is not a cause to hang this particular hat on In my opinion.

Kevlar68

I'm not hanging a hat on anything, it was a reply to a previous post stating geriatrics from wnir days. I am not opposed to 4pm face offs.
So i was stating a fact as younger fans may not know the total history of the geriatrics.

My opinion on 4pm face off is have a few but not a complete change.

Last edited:

Finny

I'm quite liking the occasional early Sunday face-offs. It means I don't have to change meal plans too much and I can get home at a reasonable hour and relax instead of rushing around getting everything ready for work the next day.

The atmosphere was flat yesterday but I'm not sure that was due to the time. It was an easy win against a poor Sheffield side and people have been complaining about that all season.

With regards to parking, I don't know why people are still being stupid and parking where they shouldn't.
I was running a bit late yesterday and didn't arrive in the area until less than an hour before face-off. I drove straight into Willcox House without queueing and there could only have been 20 cars in there at most. After the game there was a queue of about 3 cars and then out of the area without any fuss.
Obviously I'm not arriving at Willcox House near face-off, but surely it isn't getting full and turning people away is it???

Kevlar68

Another factor you have to take in to consideration is that if all Sunday games changed to 4pm face off and maybe 300 of those fans are season ticket holders who have either work or afternoon family commitments every Sunday its then not worth the money to renew their season ticket as each game they can attended would have cost more than buying a ticket per game.
300 season tickets holders lost is allot of revenue.
That's just a example, of course i don't know the true figures.

Its a very tricky fine line to tread with a Sunday face off time and the management do an excellent job and the judgements they make would only be in the interest of trying to improve the club but that doesn't mean to say it would always work.

The atmosphere was flat where I sit as a fair few of the season ticket holders around me hadn’t bought a ticket for this game and were instead replaced by a number of people who hadn’t been to a game before and spent most of the time chatting with no idea what was going on in the game. There were also a number of (I assume newcomer) families with young kids, some of which seemed pretty bored and preferred to concentrate on their phones or what they were eating.

I guess the point of the 4pm face offs is to attract new fans, and it worked. I’m not personally completely against them, but it’s bound to have a negative effect on atmosphere with so many newcomers and new families all attending the same match. However, I guess we were all newcomers once!

Samael

No one is suggesting a full change but the original poster requested no early face offs at all. An earlier face off may appeal to a casual punter with small children for logistical reasons. Bath, bed early night for school etc. With luck they get hoooked and the kids develop a more hands on interest. Where is the next stevie lyle, chinn, stone, francis, townsend, phillips or myers coming from? Pretty sure they all started as spectatators before lacing up. Yor remark about the protests have nothing to do with this. Thats the past. Some people learn from it and have an eye on the future.

Kevlar68

Yor remark about the protests have nothing to do with this. Thats the past. Some people learn from it and have an eye on the future.
Your remark about geriatrics and younger fans doesn't really have much to do with face off times either.
Your comment is of the assumption that 4pm is better for future fans.
If someone has a young child that doesn't mean 4pm is a better time.
If a fan is a "geriatric" fan it doesn't mean 6pm is a better time.

Each individual person will have a different circumstance.

I'd like a midday face off personally for me so i can watch the game, be home in time for my Sunday Roast then off to pub for 4pm footy kick off, perfect day for my circumstances but that's never going to happen so i adapt to whatever time the face off is.

Kevin roog

If we played Belfast yesterday the place would have been bouncing. The atmosphere was quiet and that was probably because it was that Sheffield are pants and turned it into a pretty season friendly

Samael

Your remark about geriatrics and younger fans doesn't really have much to do with face off times either.
Your comment is of the assumption that 4pm is better for future fans.
If someone has a young child that doesn't mean 4pm is a better time.
If a fan is a "geriatric" fan it doesn't mean 6pm is a better time.

Each individual person will have a different circumstance.

I'd like a midday face off personally for me so i can watch the game, be home in time for my Sunday Roast then off to pub for 4pm footy kick off, perfect day for my circumstances but that's never going to happen so i adapt to whatever time the face off is.
If you are going to quote me quote all of my post so it can't be taken out of context. You've hit the nail on the head about adaptability though and each having different circumstances.

Kevlar68

Sometimes quotes can be read wrong as you can't tell the emotion in text form so maybe i got it wrong when reading yours.

august04

It was flat yesterday but if the goal of 4pm face off is to attract more kids/families - then it’s going to be flatter. Not all I know, but some will be more interested in playing around than watching the game. Kelman has thrown everything at 4pm face-offs this year so it’s no surprise they have sold well and his sarcastic comment last night suggests there may be more to come. Personally, if we keep it at 3 or 4 as per this year, then I’m OK with that. But any more than that and it’s a season ticket reconsideration and the club haven’t made any comment on it prior to launching season tickets for next year. I’m a little surprised at that.

Kevlar68

How many of the tickets yesterday may have been comped out. If they had been comped out or season ticket holders passing on the seats (if that can be done) maybe the people who had those seats weren't really interested and just went as it was a freebie day out.
Seen that before at the Millennium (before it was Principality) and at the WNIR with comped tickets..
Just because somewhere is sold out doesn't mean all the tickets were paid for.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #35
For the purposes of equality, maybe next season we could try 4 x Friday evening face offs to attract new adult fans as opposed to focusing solely on kids? If those adults enjoy and have kids, I’m sure they’d look to bring them along at some point!

Koop11

The logic for 4pm FOs times I can understand. Long term the club wants to attract more families/next generation of fans and in the case of young families I can understand getting the kids home and in bed at a normal hour is appealing. However, for not so young families (perhaps ages 5+) I don’t see how this is particularly advantageous. In some cases it can have the reverse effect. For some families, myself included, Sunday is the only full family day together during the working week. The reality is a 4pm FO is a 2:30pm start for many people meaning you can write off the afternoon doing any other things.

There is far more traffic on the road at that time of day which effects journey times. Retail is emptying out, the weekly trip to the local supermarket for many, the Dad’s running around hardware stores (your cliché Sunday routines). I certainly noticed more traffic getting to the game yesterday.

Parking at the rink was a mare yesterday because of the Gala. For some fans, parking at Wilcox House is not an option, for example because of any disabilities they may have. The galas usually finish late afternoon which means it doesn’t effect those coming to 6pm FOs. If the club do propose more 4pm FOs I would hope they liaise with the Swimming Pool operators in the future (in fairness, they may do now and maybe yesterday was a case of a gala being put on after our fixture times were announced).

Whilst it’s an old argument for some, it is still important to be aware of the many fans who have to work Sunday. Retail, customer services, etc operate on a Sunday. You maybe able to sneak off early but depending on where you work might mean its simply not feasible to get to the arena on time.

For many sports fans, one of the appeals of watching live hockey is that it generally doesn’t clash with other sporting events. Earlier FOs times will impact on some wanting to watch other sports.

It seems there is an appetite within the club to have 4pm FOs. Not necessarily for all Sunday games but perhaps more. Maybe this year’s selected 4pm FOs have acted as the test for whether they are worthwhile. What I would say is that a game v Sheffield, particularly when we are in a stretch for 3rd league title, will always pull a sell out. Likewise a game New Years Day is always a huge ticket seller as it’s the festive season and many are not working. Perhaps a fairer test would, for example, be a 4pm FO in November v Dundee (no offence to the Stars).

My plea to the Devils management is to be open with the fans about their intentions, particularly for ST holders who need to decide whether a ST is financially worthwhile.

And finally, with regard to Todd’s sarcastic announcement last night, I did find it funny. Whatever the future is for FO times, we are blessed to have him and the Calgary 4 heading the club. Since their involvement the fan base has ground (including more families than ever) and success has come.

Diafol

Koop has pretty much nailed it for me with that post.

The previous ones this year have actually worked quite well for me but I'm pretty sure that the clash with the swimming gala caused problems for lots of people.

Hopefully this can be avoided in future.

As a ST holder It's Friday night games which I have more objections to, but that's another story.

Hedd Wyn John

Personally 4pm starts aren’t an issue for me but I can see why they might be particularly when a lot of shops open 10-4 on a Sunday so if I still worked in retail I couldn’t make it. Perhaps a 4.30 or 5pm face off would be a decent compromise. I do like getting home earlier tbh & I can see how that might be attentive to families with kids.

Hedd Wyn John

I'm quite liking the occasional early Sunday face-offs. It means I don't have to change meal plans too much and I can get home at a reasonable hour and relax instead of rushing around getting everything ready for work the next day.

The atmosphere was flat yesterday but I'm not sure that was due to the time. It was an easy win against a poor Sheffield side and people have been complaining about that all season.

With regards to parking, I don't know why people are still being stupid and parking where they shouldn't.
I was running a bit late yesterday and didn't arrive in the area until less than an hour before face-off. I drove straight into Willcox House without queueing and there could only have been 20 cars in there at most. After the game there was a queue of about 3 cars and then out of the area without any fuss.
Obviously I'm not arriving at Willcox House near face-off, but surely it isn't getting full and turning people away is it???
A lot of people won’t cough up the money to pay for parking. Personally I’ve found myself a secret spot where I can park for free, legally of course & not too far from the rink.

ASHIPP

i disagree that if that was Belfast it would have been rocking. it was full of young families with lots of regulars not there.
Also the sarcastic 4pm attitude from Todd just makes me hate it more, sometimes its classier to say nothing as a leader.

And those 'old timers' and 'geriatric' fans that some people were talking about are STILL around and paying, faithfully, a lot of money on season tickets, programmes, 50/50, merchandise etc but the 4pm faceoff is not workable for them. Add to that several 100 people who could not see the game (or only saw part of the game) because of work commitments, the volume fans potentially debating whether or not to renew season tickets increases.