2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

moggy#9

14 imports 5 Brits did surprise me a bit when I first heard about it. Thought they could have gone 13 and 6.
It would obviously make sense to have 4 lines. Clearly the eihl has reasons for what they decided to go with, but what were they? This in my opinion is one of the failings of the league - their level of openness and communication. Strides have been made in the past, but compared to some of its clubs the league appears to be in the dark ages.

Finny

It's still possible that for the domestic campaign we sign a british back up. Or maybe Murdy will continue his dual role as back up and equipment. That would allow us another 2 imports to play.
I’m not sure there is any point in signing a British backup netminder (unless either netminder gets injured short term).
With maximum bench size of 19 then if we signed 14 imports one of our players would have to sit out anyway.

pjj365

I’m not sure there is any point in signing a British backup netminder (unless either netminder gets injured short term).
With maximum bench size of 19 then if we signed 14 imports one of our players would have to sit out anyway.
We could always sit out an import in favour of a Brit but I guess you're right and Waller would sit out a fair few games

As we are presuming it would be Waller that would be scratched the majority of times if the limit is 5 brits.
The fact that he was an early signing announcement, I wonder if he would have signed to a team with 5 other brits.
Previous to last season it was announced that it would be 13 imports and a 19 man bench.
Maybe that’s what we catered for and the goalposts were moved???

I've been reading all the posts about roster size and I can't help thinking this is a league decision predominantly about sustainability of all 10 clubs. The introduction of a salary cap [though I'd love to see how the intent to police it] and a reduced bench size are clear indicators that something needed to be done to make sure we don't end up with an Edinburgh/Milton Keynes situation. If 4-Line hockey is simply too much expense then I'd much prefer the league play 3-Line hockey and survive. I would hate to be involved with the business side of the clubs at the moment as essentially they are working more than ever with projected figures and assumptions in terms of how close/similar to pre-covid income levels they may or may not reach. I agree with everyone that limiting Brits on the roster is short sighted, but I would argue it is less short sighted than doing nothing. You'd imagine that the Utopian view is that by limiting Brits then the 'premier' Brits should be shared throughout all 10 teams and not just 'Load-Up' the big four. I'm ashamed to admit it but having being an active fan since 1993 and having lived all across the country and visited 75% of the rinks, I would still fail to name the players from the Brit packs of the non 'Arena' teams.

Last edited:

Devil94

There isn't a limit on Brits, you could play with 10 imports and 9 Brits if you wanted. The only limits are just the bench size of 19 and an import limit of 14. Most teams would therefore go for the 14+5 option, but it looks like we will go for 13+6.

moggy#9

I am a bit concerned that the new team and coach have not arrived yet to prepare for our forthcoming CHL games?
Mr king said there was a paperwork issue for coach skalde and that he would be arriving midweek. I'm not sure that the club usually publicises the physical arrival of players.

kingmo19.1

I was wondering the other day ….. I we had an EIHL team assembled totally of the best Brits (no imports) how do you think they’d do?

Personally, I think they’d be pretty damn competitive as it would predominantly be a full GB side.

Maybe that’s the route forward, a
0+19 option :)

tim78

There are technically imports in the GB squad accordingly to Elite league rules.

Brendan Connolly
Ben Lake
Dallas Ehrhardt
Mike Hammond

mjh

Hopefully the rule changes won't last too long. In the long term, 4 line hockey with a good group of Brits in each team would be great. I think it's right to prioritise support for the smaller clubs and it may give some of the younger Brits chance to shine. Gutted the Myres won't be around as he was a really important part of the team and a top chap. Not long to go now!

Have Hope#35

So two more Imports to possibly sign, we currently have 6 Brits, so will have to scratch one each night, correct?
If we sign two more Imports we'd have to scratch 1 Brit or 1 Import in the EIHL yes. Could work out useful with injuries as we could essentially cover anyone (even the Brits).

moggy#9

Hopefully the rule changes won't last too long. In the long term, 4 line hockey with a good group of Brits in each team would be great. I think it's right to prioritise support for the smaller clubs and it may give some of the younger Brits chance to shine. Gutted the Myres won't be around as he was a really important part of the team and a top chap. Not long to go now!
This all shines a light on the state of junior development. I know for our club there are historical difficulties that are still playing out, but Sheffield really put us to shame at the moment as far as emerging talent goes. Where is the next Matt Myers, or Stevie Lyle, or Jason stone, or whoever coming from? There really needs to be proper elite development beyond the private power skating and skills clinics. At the moment the only way for most kids to get to that level is to spend time outside the UK.

We shouldn't forget how we got here though. The isl formed because the destination of the best Brits determined where the silverware went before a puck was dropped. Their wages reflected that. The eihl decision reflects that.

jenks33

Thread starter #737
If we sign two more Imports we'd have to scratch 1 Brit or 1 Import in the EIHL yes. Could work out useful with injuries as we could essentially cover anyone (even the Brits).
I’m still expecting just one more signing (Brodie Dupont). I hope I’m wrong but I think we’ll go with 19 players and then just sign another player during the season if we get a long-ish term injury. It’s a worry as the fixture list will be intense, with the salary cap tho I think carrying a spare is a bit optimistic.

Have Hope#35

I’m still expecting just one more signing (Brodie Dupont). I hope I’m wrong but I think we’ll go with 19 players and then just sign another player during the season if we get a long-ish term injury. It’s a worry as the fixture list will be intense, with the salary cap tho I think carrying a spare is a bit optimistic.
Who knows for sure? I was just going off Mr Kings post on Twitter - This also confirms there is no limit on the number of Brits:
Steve King
@Tacosteve10

Aug 6

"5 is the minimum number. No maximum so no one sits. O’Connor is as good as a quality import in our minds and being over the 5 minimum gives us depth for potential injuries."