2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

august04 2.0

I think so, but I think they have to quarantine for 2 weeks first when they arrive. Flight availability is increasing again but nobody knows yet what this winter will bring.

I also don’t know how often wives /girlfriends fly back home during the season. Previously it would only be an issue of cost. Now it would be two weeks quarantine when they got back home and potentially two weeks when they come back.

I’m guessing there are a lot of imports who have been put off coming to the EIHL this season due to Covid uncertainty. And I certainly don’t blame them.
I’m a Cardiff City season ticket holder but still haven’t decided whether I’ll go to tomorrow’s game.
I think it will be difficult initially for a lot of people when the arena opens for the first game, but it’s a personal choice and risk that we all have to decide for ourselves. I found it strange standing at the bar in a pub in England shortly after “Freedom Day”. After a couple of pints though, I didn’t really think about it at all and just got on with it. And to be honest, it felt bloody great to be in a more “normal” situation again. There’s risk in everything we do - or we stay in and do nothing. Personally, I can’t wait to get back in IAW.

moggy#9

The NHL recently told players if they got vaccinated restrictions would be loosened, according to Golden Knights Robin Lerner, the NHL lied, forcing players to get vaccinated.

This covers two issues......
Whoa, I really hope you're not questioning the honesty of anyone involved with the club.

Wannabe2

”There are a few” are words l wrote........

So Haddad has taken a significant drop in wages to remain in a country with significantly larger risks in infections and could potentially stop mid season.......yeah that flies.
But they had a season where we never, so why are you saying they have a larger risk than us that don’t make sense, also Joey may think he only wants to play one more season, as opposed to two if we hadn’t had to cancel. I certainly don’t think it was a money thing, other factors came into this but he certainly was coming back for last season, as was Riley, Jardine, Martin. But now we move on and we certainly look very good on paper.

Mazzoak

We don’t know what wages he would have been on here’s or what he will be on there. I doubt it would be that significant a drop though.
But the ECHL did run last season and if anything goes wrong he or his wife can get home easier from the US than if they were in the U.K.

I’d be more likely to believe your version of events if it didn’t change with every post.
Exactly ”we” don’t, we can only speculate on the actions people make and the words they speak. Yes returning to North America from the UK was problematic in the pandemic, although that situation has evolved significantly in terms of virus spread, knowledge and reaction.

My version hasn’t changed........

Mazzoak

But they had a season where we never, so why are you saying they have a larger risk than us that don’t make sense, also Joey may think he only wants to play one more season, as opposed to two if we hadn’t had to cancel. I certainly don’t think it was a money thing, other factors came into this but he certainly was coming back for last season, as was Riley, Jardine, Martin. But now we move on and we certainly look very good on paper.
The USA hasn’t got full control of the virus, the NHL have issues vaccinating players. Outbreaks at large venues are still a real possibility, players moving around and the threat of further variants, the USA is just as vulnerable as the rest of the world.

Happy Hockey Days......

Mazzoak

Whoa, I really hope you're not questioning the honesty of anyone involved with the club.
Google lies told in Sport, start reading tomorrow, don’t stop until you finish, which I’m betting will be in around 2 or 3 years time....... start with Kobe and his knee.

Its not really lies, it’s a version of events that can differ party to party. I’m not questioning the integrity of the organisation, these are comments on here regarding versions without evidence, rumours which may or may not be true concerning actions that we aren’t entitled to know. How the club management run their business is their concern only and in know way impacts fans, ultimately who cares, I don’t. As long as l pay my ticket and watch a game, I’m happy. I do love a good gossip though......

ASHIPP

Very pleased to see Ben O'connor as a Devil. He is a quality player and he and Richie have demonstrated a solid and reliable defensive partnership for Team GB.

Whatever issues ensued with Steelers to deter him from signing with them should be consigned to the garbage bin, along with any orange swagger! Hopefully BOC can settle in and show why he is the best British offensive defenceman.

zoesdevil

I much prefer the way our defence is looking this year. For me, Reddick and McMonagle were defensive liabilities. We will miss Fournier, no doubt about that, but we have experience, size, good physical presence, O'Connor brings great offensive upside for a Brit and Mikkelson and Register look to be superb new signings. I’m happy with our defence and let’s not forget they are in in front of two quality netminders this year.
Agreed & im sure Register was one of the top PP point scorers last season in the ECHL, so with him & BOC on it, im sure we should have a stronger PP this season.

zoesdevil

Hang on a moment....

Your initial posts on this subject were suggesting that Lord was offering Haddad more money. Because that’s what the ECHL budgets allow (they don’t)
Then you suggested it was because Haddad wanted more money.
Then you suggested it was because Kelman and Todd had fallen out.
Now you’re suggesting Kelman never wanted Haddad back

So to summarise, you think that Todd and Lord fell out, Todd decided he didn’t want our top goal scorer back and so managed to get out of the contract by convincing Lord (who he had apparently fallen out with) to offer Haddad more money (which the ECHL salary cap would struggle to allow).

That’s quite the conspiracy theory.

Or, alternatively,
Haddad and his wife might not want to travel halfway across the world back to Plague Island where cases and deaths are increasing, to join a new coach and mostly new players, knowing there is a chance the league could be abandoned mid-season again and they might struggle to get back into their home country.
I'm going with this theory, as its much more plausible & much less reading to do than all the other previous comments!! :p;):)

pjj365

Trying to find reasons for signing or not is impossible (but fun)

Listen to Simmsy on 2Ales. Dogs are a problem - Steelers have 3 lots of dog friendly accommodaIion. If a 4th prospect comes along he might not sign because he can't bring his dog. Everything else ceases to count

kingmo19.1

Trying to find reasons for signing or not is impossible (but fun)

Listen to Simmsy on 2Ales. Dogs are a problem - Steelers have 3 lots of dog friendly accommodaIion. If a 4th prospect comes along he might not sign because he can't bring his dog. Everything else ceases to count
Great pod, keep it going Wally.

E.D.S.

So the issue is my viewpoint compared to yours & not my grammar.

Ok, so you accept the clubs public displays of affection towards Andrew Lord moving on to seek pastures new in the ECHL. Maybe the press conference was genuinely congratulating the past achievements, that doesn’t mean that Todd was happy loosing Lord. Both stated that this day would come, I’m just not convinced that at that point in time future plans potentially became less achievable and not the greatest of timing to move on. The signing since of Skalde as it turns out may have improved those ambitions, time will tell. Liking Tweets, maybe it’s just me that does that sarcastically. The signing of players, l referenced Covid, although at the time it was pretty obvious those going wouldn’t return.
The clash in Ethos, discussions was referencing the style of play between boring hockey and physical hockey taking place on the Inferno. The two ex players being Lord & Kelman, you do know both played hockey. What I’m referencing is, l thought obviously, was a clash in ethos between the two “Boses”, one wanting entertainment & results, the other just results. Ultimately causing a breakdown in relationship that was become more inevitable as seasons continued......
Todd wanted trophies. The owners wanted trophies, Lord delivered trophies. Clash??Disagreements are normal but a clash?? Think you’re a looking for something that isn’t there. Interesting perspective though but for me it doesn’t have legs.

SteveKing

Just to put an end to this patently false and harmful discussion, Lordo remains a very close friend for all of us but Todd in particular. Not only did he help us recruit and interview his replacement, he’s been helping us all year with player recruitment and evaluations. He’s been a great resource for coach Skalde and still talks to all of us regularly.

Lordo hasn’t “taken” any of our players from us. As I already said, Joey’s decision was not financially motivated or even hockey motivated. It was a personal decision that he made. Total respect for that and as with our other favourite players from the past, we’ll always honour them and miss them.

mjh

Which of our latest recruits are you all most looking forward to seeing play? I'm personally looking forward to watching Register and Reid. Fourns was always awesome to watch so I'm looking out for a new offensive forward to get things going. Interested to hear what you guys think.

Mooney#16

Sanford and Cox. They are the real wild card signings that could make or break the season I think. Very young in their pro careers if they break out together it could be like the matzka - pelle - birbrear line mark 2. Hoping Skalde is the right coach at the right time to get those two going.

McNally as well is a real interesting prospect. Strong start to his career. Faltered a little of late but he too could find a real home in Cardiff if he plays the power forward role with maximum effort every night. My tip to become the fans favourite.

Guys like Reid, Crandall, Register etc will get the team to a certain level. It’s the depth guys that will ultimately dictate if we see silverware. However right from the outset I’m happy to give Skalde and the players at least a year to get the wheels of change turning. All very reminiscent of 2014.

What I would say though is in 2014 the players and club were very open with fan engagement that made it easy to reconnect after a period of huge upheaval. TK is now in a position he needs to recreate the magic. I think the social media output needs to go up exponentially from where it currently is so people can start getting to know their new coach and team.

moggy#9

Sanford and Cox. They are the real wild card signings that could make or break the season I think. Very young in their pro careers if they break out together it could be like the matzka - pelle - birbrear line mark 2. Hoping Skalde is the right coach at the right time to get those two going.

McNally as well is a real interesting prospect. Strong start to his career. Faltered a little of late but he too could find a real home in Cardiff if he plays the power forward role with maximum effort every night. My tip to become the fans favourite.

Guys like Reid, Crandall, Register etc will get the team to a certain level. It’s the depth guys that will ultimately dictate if we see silverware. However right from the outset I’m happy to give Skalde and the players at least a year to get the wheels of change turning. All very reminiscent of 2014.

What I would say though is in 2014 the players and club were very open with fan engagement that made it easy to reconnect after a period of huge upheaval. TK is now in a position he needs to recreate the magic. I think the social media output needs to go up exponentially from where it currently is so people can start getting to know their new coach and team.
For me Sanford and Cox could be really exciting to watch, but our netminding could be a game changer. Every time kozun is playing and our opponents pull their goalie I'll be hoping for him to score. It's actually coach skalde that I'm most long forward to seeing though. I'm going to be fascinated to see how he counters opposing coaches tactics - particularly those who use containment strategies. The chl games are going to be massive tactically and should be a good insight as to what to expect.

Mooney#16

With the scale of change within the team my expectations for the CHL are non existent. My hopes are high though but you have to take that for what it is. A rookie coach new to the competition. Some players new to Europe and that level of competition. No established chemistry. Lack of pre season preparation. What I do want to see is character and fight through out the team with no passengers and a clear identity being established early by Skalde and whomever the captain will be that this team never gives up, will go the distance for each other and is serious about competing with maximum effort every game.