2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

Earnie

It off topic- I have been reading on BBC about Lauren Price. We should invite that girl to our opening regular season game for the ceremonial puck drop and maybe more!!

pjj365

It off topic- I have been reading on BBC about Lauren Price. We should invite that girl to our opening regular season game for the ceremonial puck drop and maybe more!!
There are 2 swimmers and a sailor (IIRC from Cardiff and surrounds) with gold Get them all in in due course

Finny

Tony Smith has confirmed in the Sheffield Star it’s 14 imports and 5 Brits for a match night squad.
(I assume you can play less imports and more Brits)

So we could yet sign two more imports but it seems that the end of 4 line hockey means no return for Myers which is a big loss and a huge shame.

Devil94

It's still possible that for the domestic campaign we sign a british back up. Or maybe Murdy will continue his dual role as back up and equipment. That would allow us another 2 imports to play.

Tony Smith has confirmed in the Sheffield Star it’s 14 imports and 5 Brits for a match night squad.

So we could yet sign two more imports but it seems that the end of 4 line hockey means no return for Myers which is a big loss and a huge shame.
Absolutely. Not pleased at all by this likelihood.

terry hunt

I suspect he is Swindon bound which fits with his business

sjkelly07

So two more Imports to possibly sign, we currently have 6 Brits, so will have to scratch one each night, correct?

trapped

Having listened to 2 Ales with Evan Mosey, in the last minute or so they mentioned that Myers is not signing in Cardiff and he currently doesn't have a job, which is baffling to me.

Looks like the rumours were right again

jenks33

Thread starter #715
Regarding Myers and Mosey my hunch is that both players were asked to take a pay cut due to this years salary cap and both players probably refused. Personally I don’t blame them but I also don’t blame the club. Steve King said the other day the positive thing about signing so many new players is there were less awkward conversations with existing players regarding salaries.
I’m a big fan of Matthew Myers but let’s not forget that he’s nearly 37 and he’s probably a very well paid brit that’s a 4th line player. And we won’t be running a 4th line this year. As sad and as brutal as it is with him being a local lad I don’t blame the club if they thought the sum that Myers wanted didn’t make sense.

Devils86

So by shortening the benches from 22(?) to 19 - and what appears to be doing away with the under 25 rule....
Some experienced brits are being forced down the leagues. Farmer signs for Whitley Warriors

Hope this is a one-season transitional set up so that we can have 10 sides with the salary cap. If so we need the fans back at those sides who are struggling financially

trapped

Regarding Myers and Mosey my hunch is that both players were asked to take a pay cut due to this years salary cap and both players probably refused. Personally I don’t blame them but I also don’t blame the club. Steve King said the other day the positive thing about signing so many new players is there were less awkward conversations with existing players regarding salaries.
I’m a big fan of Matthew Myers but let’s not forget that he’s nearly 37 and he’s probably a very well paid brit that’s a 4th line player. And we won’t be running a 4th line this year. As sad and as brutal as it is with him being a local lad I don’t blame the club if they thought the sum that Myers wanted didn’t make sense.
I don't blame either party for wanting to get the most for their money. That side of it makes complete sense, but the fact that the EIHL set up is forcing British players into the NIHL is the thing that baffles me. How can that possibly be good for our national game?

jenks33

Thread starter #718
I don't blame either party for wanting to get the most for their money. That side of it makes complete sense, but the fact that the EIHL set up is forcing British players into the NIHL is the thing that baffles me. How can that possibly be good for our national game?
14 imports 5 Brits did surprise me a bit when I first heard about it. Thought they could have gone 13 and 6.

Having just read the 9th August article in Sheffield star with Tony smith, where it says match night rosters will be 19 with 14 imports and 5 brits does this mean one of our brits will have to sit out each game?

pjj365

Having just read the 9th August article in Sheffield star with Tony smith, where it says match night rosters will be 19 with 14 imports and 5 brits does this mean one of our brits will have to sit out each game?
Normally - not necessarily because we are talking bench size where only imports are limited
If we are limited to 5 Brits then Waller is likely to lose out - why would you "rest" one of the 5 GB internationals on our roster.
If only imports are limited (which with our 6 Brits suggests is the case) we still have room for Myers. On the other hand if we are limited to icing 5 Brits we still have room for 2 more imports with 1 Brit rested. On the other hand if the no of Brits is limited to icing 5 Brits why in this salary cap world would you take Myers only to rest 2 Brits on game night
What we don't know for the 21/22 world is the roster size

Last edited: