2019 - 2020 Roster ...

jimmy snels

i genuinely would be disappointed to see him on those top 2 lines. he was a passenger imo way to often and lets be honest my own stats might look half tidy if i played with martin and benti!!

Last edited:

jenks33

Couldn’t agree more apart from Haddad, he’s lost a bit of pace but his puck retention is so good he can afford to get away with it. I would give him another year.
I'd definitely have a fully fit Haddad back. I just think he might retire and head back to Nova Scotia. He's had a couple of big injuries during his time with us and I think he might call it a day

jimmy snels

i loved a fit haddad as well, but he rarely looks just that anymore and for me he would be a big decision. its the same with say ulmer. he will be 40 next year. do you run the risk of giving a guy another year and risk that drop in physical performance?

ASHIPP

Giants have announced 2 retirements and one player moving on. You just know they are going to replace those players with good ones. Steelers have announced an experienced coach and the addition of a forward we know ripped up this league a year ago. In short, the Devils will have to recruit well to improve and compete with Giants and a stronger Steelers and Panthers, and produce a good showing in CHL. Standing still will not address the weaknesses (and there were weaknesses - conceding goals at key times in games, SHG against, and that glaring O/T loss statistic) in their play from last season and there may even be some difficult decisions to make.

1. Must signs for me:

All our British players
Imports - Martin, Fournier, Dixon, Mosey, Linglet, Louis, Hedden

2. Would like to see the addition of at least one speedy, natural goal scorer who has offensive prowess in any situation

3. Another big bodied power forward to counter aggression and chip in with points

4. At least one solid, experienced blue line defenceman with leadership skills and hockey smarts - in the mould of Tyson Strachan

5. New Captain - Stephen Dixon was chosen as Players Player - respected by his peers, there's your new Captain right there.

Alternates: Martin/Mosey/Myers/Richardson

6. Young players - continued development, increased icetime and game experience for our young players (Duggan and Rutkis) and an increased game workload for whoever the backup goalie will be.

Whatever changes happen, there still has to be a good balance of speed, strength, experience and leadership

Last edited:

jenks33

Giants have announced 2 retirements and one player moving on. You just know they are going to replace those players with good ones. Steelers have announced an experienced coach and the addition of a forward we know ripped up this league a year ago. In short, the Devils will have to recruit well to improve and compete with Giants and a stronger Steelers and Panthers, and produce a good showing in CHL. Standing still will not address the weaknesses (and there were weaknesses - conceding goals at key times in games, SHG against, and that glaring O/T loss statistic) in their play from last season and there may even be some difficult decisions to make.

1. Must signs for me:

All our British players
Imports - Martin, Fournier, Dixon, Mosey, Linglet, Louis, Hedden

2. Would like to see the addition of at least one speedy, natural goal scorer who has offensive prowess in any situation

3. Another big bodied power forward to counter aggression and chip in with points

4. At least one solid, experienced blue line defenceman with leadership skills and hockey smarts - in the mould of Tyson Strachan

5. New Captain - Stephen Dixon was chosen as Players Player - respected by his peers, there's your new Captain right there.

Alternates: Martin/Mosey/Myers/Richardson

6. Young players - continued development, increased icetime and game experience for our young players (Duggan and Rutkis) and an increased game workload for whoever the backup goalie will be.

Whatever changes happen, there still has to be a good balance of speed, strength, experience and leadership
Your 2nd point is a must. When you look at Belfast’s top 2 lines compared to ours they definitely had more goalscorers. Martin and Linglet are obviously quality all rounders but I’d still class them both as dishers. Where as Belfast had Murphy with 39 goals and Dwyer with 25 goals in 38 games. I know we pretty much scored the same amount of goals as Belfast but I’d still like us to add a natural goalscorer. We only scored two goals in our last two away games in the league and we were crying out for a poacher in that Coventry game

hip check

Was speaking to a friend who's been following Devils for many years, he seems well connected with the inner workings of the club and he made some comments that I found quite surprising.
He said Benti's on his way, (he's going home, where home is I'm not sure) as is Haddad, Pope's contract has been cancelled and Mo won't be with us next season.
I could understand Pope, Mo and to a lesser extent Haddad (injuries) but the Benti news seemed like nonsense.
Don't shoot the messenger as I have never put rumours on here, only time will tell I suppose.

jenks33

Was speaking to a friend who's been following Devils for many years, he seems well connected with the inner workings of the club and he made some comments that I found quite surprising.
He said Benti's on his way, (he's going home, where home is I'm not sure) as is Haddad, Pope's contract has been cancelled and Mo won't be with us next season.
I could understand Pope, Mo and to a lesser extent Haddad (injuries) but the Benti news seemed like nonsense.
Don't shoot the messenger as I have never put rumours on here, only time will tell I suppose.
To be fair they are all plausible. I’d love Benti to stay but he’s been in Europe for 9 years, maybe he thinks it’s time to take his young family back to Canada and settle down

jimmy snels

yeah benti would be much harder to replace than the other 3, an established 1st line agitating scoring forward. id genuinely miss him on the ice.

one player who if he wanted to try (and i wouldnt blame him) cracking the north American training camps is fournier. he's a top level skater so wont be out of place and i wonder if he might get some invitations to camps after his year with us?

Rob Batch

I would give the whole team a second crack, a chance to fulfill their potential. Lots of pros and cons but I would be interested to see what the continuity could achieve. Ovechkin is not coming to cardiff so don't be silly. Better the Devil you know:mad:

I would give the whole team a second crack, a chance to fulfill their potential. Lots of pros and cons but I would be interested to see what the continuity could achieve. Ovechkin is not coming to cardiff so don't be silly. Better the Devil you know
If you're not moving forward, you are moving backwards. We've got a great core of player but the league is improving every year and we need to improve with it.

You've only got to look at our squad 3 years ago when we won the title. All amazing servants to the club and without their effort we wouldn't of won the title & challenge cup and I don't want to come across like I'm knocking them but realistically how many of those players that left would get into last years team? For example Asselin & Doucet would struggle to make the top 6, maybe top 9. Scott Hotham wouldn't get om over last years D men. One of my favourite all time devils Culligan would even struggle, I don't know where he would fit him into the team.

in my ideal world

have to re-sign

Bowns
Fourns
Richie
Mosey
Martin
Dixon
Myers
Batch
Linget
Duggan

happy it have back

Louis
Livingston
Schietel
Benti

time to move on

Pope
Mo
Ulmer (although would love to have him as a spare....too many games in a season for him)
Hedden
Haddad (hard one but injuries are effecting him now)

what we definitely need is some speed, there were games this season where we were just slower

a couple of solid dmen similar to Schiestel just maybe a little bigger.

an out and out scorer especially if We keep Martin and Linget as they created so many opportunities. this is no easy task as a guy could be lethal in his previous year but doesn't quite do the same the next

Leighton

certainly not shooting the messenger but knowing what i know (which granted isn't much) but it is first hand info, at least some of this is incorrect.