2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

Discussion in 'Cardiff Devils & EIHL chat' started by Chris, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Sheincar

Sheincar Well-Known Member

He certainly wanted big money before he ended up there. They may have been last resort to get a spot but I've no idea what he was on there.

2. ASHIPP

ASHIPP Well-Known Member

He's got Nottingham connections. When he returns from Sweden Panthers'fans believe he'll go there. Corey will have a great chance to talk to him as part of Team GB training camp as he is Assistant Coach.

3. Wagstaff

Wagstaff Active Member

Nooooooo not us please, he's got the turning circle of a canal barge! Slow, ineffective and wants to show fight!
    Not what I want in my roster!

Devil_Abroad likes this.
  4. RedDevil17

RedDevil17 Member

If Nickerson was to go anywhere I think he should join Manchester personally. Also, with the small BBT style arena I think he would be perfect for them. Yes they already have Neilson,Erhadht and Dziurzinski (sp?) but they need another tough guy imo and he's a hard hitter. As Gazza said he's played in Finland which means experience which is what the storm need.

Ted_S likes this.
  5. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

It's starting to sound like the PIHL which was supposed to take over from the EPL won't get off the ground. Could mean more Brits become available and there are also rumours that Hull Pirates could make a last minute application for EIHL.

6. ASHIPP

ASHIPP Well-Known Member

Didn't Hull apply for the NIHL this very week? Financial difficulties was why they dropped out of the EIHL wasn't it?

The second tier of British ice hockey looks chaotic at the moment : Manchester Phoenix folded; Telford Tigers almost went bust and limped to end of season; Basingstoke Bison have major rink issues; Swindon Wilcats have applied for NIHL level status.

7. Chris

Chris Administrator

But all these NIHL applications, including the Wildcats and Pirates are because Ken Taggart has advised all the proposed PIHL clubs to do that.

I can't see why the EIHL would accept an application from Hull, unless there is a very real threat of 3 Scottish teams leaving. They couldn't afford to be in the EIHL before, don't see much reason to think they could afford it this time around, or that their fans would back it again in sufficient numbers to make it viable.

Gaz G likes this.
  8. Ocko

Ocko Well-Known Member

Looks like an awful lot of good players over 23 will soon be playing in a level well below their ability and wage demands or out of a job. Players like Matty Davies, Aaron Nell, Joe Miller shouldn't be playing NIHL level hockey but with the new rule have zero chance of an EIHL return.

9. Devil_Abroad

Devil_Abroad Well-Known Member

If only 3/4 changes and 2 will be Brits leaving then the chances of Martin/Hotham/Asselin/Ulmer staying is HUGE!

Was TK on the radio?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. ASHIPP

ASHIPP Well-Known Member

I don't think it will be just the crazy u23/new league roster quota that will mean changes. Steve had already alluded to other changes in recent statements.

Be interesting to see which new players join the Team. To stay ahead, unfortunately they can't stand still because rivals looking to dramaticallly improve.

11. Devil_Abroad

And he played a role on PK too

12. Devil_Abroad

And last one would be Louis - those two loved their little shuffle at the end

Leighton likes this.
  13. Devil_Abroad

Rumour was he didn't get on with GM? From his Sportsnet interview he loves fishing, castles, and sheep. He's from Calgary. So..... But he sounded like he wasn't coming back

14. Devil_Abroad

How does this fit our 5 Brits? Unless either Murdy or Batch also leave with Jones and Piggott?

15. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

Any application from Hull though would significantly lessen the strength the Scottish teams currently have in demanding the conferences be setup as they wish. If the Scottish 3 did leave then Hull could take their place and we'd still have a 10 team league.

I think we'll see Hull back in the EIHL within the next couple of years, although I'd be surprised if it was this summer. Although they struggled in the past they'd have a new local rival in Manchester with a team of a similar level. Ideally you'd want another northern team to join at same time so you end up with two conferences of 7 teams.

Perhaps the EIHL will come to an agreement whereby the Scottish teams get their 3 conference wish for one year before Hull join and we return to two conferences or one big league.

16. Ocko

Ocko Well-Known Member

Agree with Finny. I think the collapse of the EPL and proposed PIHL means that it is now a definite EIHL or bust of the Scottish teams, SNL isn't even semi pro. It also leaves teams like Hull in a bit of limbo, however it also removes the bargaining chips of the Scottish 3. If they try and force the hand of the other EIHL teams they could find themselves getting burned. Guildford, MK and Hull are a significantly stronger option than Fife, Edinburgh and Dundee. I think this very recent development means that the Scottish 3 need the EIHL more than they might need them now.

Obviously it would be great to reach an agreement with all parties and even welcome back Hull and maybe one other. 14 teams would be a great prospect and only strengthen the EIHL as a whole.

wildthing74 likes this.
  17. Devil94

Devil94 Active Member

18. Devil94

Devil94 Active Member

Anyone heard anything about Steelers only playing out of ice Sheffield next season?

19. fried egg

fried egg Member

If there is any truth to this then I think it is certain they have moved conferences

20. Devil94

Devil94 Active Member

They are selling season tickets for the arena, so looks so like it's not true. There was just a few rumours going around, panthers fans mainly. A bit strange though they're playing their pre season games at icesheffield. I thought they'd be able to get a decent crowd in against those sides.