2017/18 Bench Size Confirmed...

ASHIPP

Steelers, Blaze and some of the Scottish teams are already ahead of the game with several U23 players already playing/or part of their rosters from last season. There are few good standard U23 British players in the EPL - Antonov has commitments, Rutkis has just re-signed to Swindon, many more may have commitments for all we know. Guildford and MK will keep hold of theirs. The remaining players will either have to be persuaded to join Elite clubs - or players will be recruited from leagues lower than that. Hopefully, there may be some real gems playing abroad but competition to sign them may be tough.

Devils, Giants and Panthers are at a bit of a disadvantage. Go for a roster of 19 - it's very tough and tiring to maintain 4 lines. Go for a roster of 22 and on that 4th line some young players will be inexperienced.

Have Hope#35

Steelers, Blaze and some of the Scottish teams are already ahead of the game with several U23 players already playing/or part of their rosters from last season. There are few good standard U23 British players in the EPL - Antonov has commitments, Rutkis has just re-signed to Swindon, many more may have commitments for all we know. Guildford and MK will keep hold of theirs. The remaining players will either have to be persuaded to join Elite clubs - or players will be recruited from leagues lower than that. Hopefully, there may be some real gems playing abroad but competition to sign them may be tough.

Devils, Giants and Panthers are at a bit of a disadvantage. Go for a roster of 19 - it's very tough and tiring to maintain 4 lines. Go for a roster of 22 and on that 4th line some young players will be inexperienced.
Believe it or not Guildford only have two U23 Brits and Fife only have one, he doesn't even play... Manchester also only have one and he's barely featured! Belfast likely have 4 Lines sorted with Jackson Whistle being one of their netminders and Nottingham in theory are ok as they have Ollie Betteridge as their fourth line U23 Brit. I did a list of teams Junior Brits on Page 1, Dundee are the most prepared!

backrow

I don't know who was responsible for the "3 Under 23" decision but to me it seems poorly thought out. I think for example a "2 Under 23" rule rule might have been more realistic and manageable. It's also a shame to see other Brit players forced out.

matbur

Because if a team wants to roll four lines (I personally don't know of any professional league which doesn't), then you are forced to play Under 23 players who, in all probability, aren't likely to be good enough and just playing because they meet the quota.

The alternative is three line hockey but that's amateurish in my view and something the EIHL needs to be trying to move away from.

bdevil

If you take the Devils last season, the 3rd forward spot on the 4th line was taken by Piggot/Jones. All we'd need is an U23 Brit better than Piggot or Jones to be a stronger team than last year. I can't see how it weakens anything.

august04

Thread starter #31
Because if a team wants to roll four lines (I personally don't know of any professional league which doesn't), then you are forced to play Under 23 players who, in all probability, aren't likely to be good enough and just playing because they meet the quota.

The alternative is three line hockey but that's amateurish in my view and something the EIHL needs to be trying to move away from.
I believe the ECHL allows teams to maintain an active roster of 20 players, with 18 (16 skaters and 2 goalies) dressing for each game. That's where a lot of our EIHL players have played before. I don't think 3 lines is amateurish at all - how often did we revert to 3 lines (and less) throughout the season? Quite a few!

ASHIPP

If you take the Devils last season, the 3rd forward spot on the 4th line was taken by Piggot/Jones. All we'd need is an U23 Brit better than Piggot or Jones to be a stronger team than last year. I can't see how it weakens anything.
Could be Callum Buglass's time to step up from Swindon Wildcats to Cardiff Devils. He has been on a two-way contract for two years. That might allow Josh Batch to play as a forward (which I think he originally was in his early career) although Josh is a fine young defenceman. Callum is a heads-up, defensive prospect - my only worry is that he sustained a very nasty injury last season and missed a lot of games for Swindon. Nevertheless, immense in height, and played a simple, well executed game in the pre-season for the Devils before going back to Swindon.

Have Hope#35

We played 3 - 3 and a half lines most of last season though and we would only need 1 U23 Player to replace CJ/Piggie on the Fourth (as someone already mentioned). With the greatest of respect there are Brit youngsters in the EPIHL who are putting up points that CJ & Piggie would struggle to match so you could argue that it's a like for like swap talent wise whilst developing a Young Brit for the future who could turn out to be the next Matthew Myers/Mark Richardson in their prime years at 25+

We played 3 - 3 and a half lines most of last season though and we would only need 1 U23 Player to replace CJ/Piggie on the Fourth (as someone already mentioned). With the greatest of respect there are Brit youngsters in the EPIHL who are putting up points that CJ & Piggie would struggle to match so you could argue that it's a like for like swap talent wise whilst developing a Young Brit for the future who could turn out to be the next Matthew Myers/Mark Richardson in their prime years at 25+
How likely are the under 23's in other leagues going to want to give up their position on a top line to play limited minutes, grinding it out on a fourth line for (probably) less money!? Hardly any, I imagine. It's a stupid rule. The EIHL isn't a development league. And personally, I'd rather see awesome, 4 line hockey and see the younger Brits gain more ice time and experience in the EPIHL until they're good enough to play in the EIHL. Playing limited minutes on the fourth line isn't going to help them to develop their hockey skills....

Have Hope#35

How likely are the under 23's in other leagues going to want to give up their position on a top line to play limited minutes, grinding it out on a fourth line for (probably) less money!? Hardly any, I imagine. It's a stupid rule. The EIHL isn't a development league. And personally, I'd rather see awesome, 4 line hockey and see the younger Brits gain more ice time and experience in the EPIHL until they're good enough to play in the EIHL. Playing limited minutes on the fourth line isn't going to help them to develop their hockey skills....
Other teams in the league have given the yougsters enough reason to stay... We only need to find one willing candidate and the rest (such as Buglass) can be on 2-Way deals until good enough to get close to their desired minutes! If I had a choice I know which league I'd pick to play in.

Other teams in the league have given the yougsters enough reason to stay... We only need to find one willing candidate and the rest (such as Buglass) can be on 2-Way deals until good enough to get close to their desired minutes! If I had a choice I know which league I'd pick to play in.
Depends on what's more important to them-playing the hockey, or being part of a better league, but playing less hockey.

trapped

Has anyone watched much of Macauley Heywood, Ivan Antonov? Both have put up decent numbers at EPIHL level, though Antonov looks to be on the smaller side (not always an issue of course) and has final year at Uni. There are some talented younger players out there, many of whom I would fancy having a go at the EIHL, even if it is on a two way deal.

Tad-cu

I don't know who was responsible for the "3 Under 23" decision but to me it seems poorly thought out. I think for example a "2 Under 23" rule rule might have been more realistic and manageable. It's also a shame to see other Brit players forced out.
How does this fit with age discrimination and employment law? My union would not be happy with people losing their jobs simply because they are over a certain age! Perhaps an 85 year old judge could advise!

What happens when they turn 24 and they're no longer needed to fill the EIHL roster requirement? They'll just get dumped back down to the EPIHL. It's a badly thought out and badly executed plan!