2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

bb1

TommyDevil13 said:
Gospel said:
If he is going to be signing for us that does add significant toughness to the team.

Hes had some pretty serious injuries the last couple of years so I hope everything has healed properly. Maybe the injuries are the reason nobody would take a chance on him at the AHL level again given his age?

Next question would be who wold sit out. Tough one but id hope its not the same person week in week out, unless injured or serious lack of form.
I would hope that Lord will take a view depending on the teams we are playing. For games against teams with limited toughness, he could sit Bordeleau and play himself. When extra toughness is needed, he might decide to rest himself. There were suggestions last season that he was out-coached in some games. If he spends more time on the bench, that is less likely to happen. It also means that we have a fresh player (him) to come in for any injury cover later in the season.

I think it is important to ensure continuity with the lines, and I wouldn't therefore be rotating the person who sits out too widely.
Bordeleau would not be the type of guy you would sit out. He'd probably be most expensive player in league and that's not a guy you sit out....that's if this rumour comes true.

Like someone already said he'd be able to have a huge impact in the league both as a role player and on the score board

ASHIPP

Two things:

A guy of that standing would surely be on of the most expensive players in the league to attract him here....hope this would not be cheque-book ice hockey - the ISL all over again and look what happened to that.

I am not a big fan of spare imports on the roster. One of the major problems with our team last season was accommodating all our import players when they were fit to play. The constant switching of lines did nothing to build chemistry or consistency. Couldn't have done much for motivation either....everyone wants maximum ice time, not to be told they are sitting out a game.

Hope the Devils will adopt the policy of 'see how things go' and then, if they feel a role-filling player is needed, bring them in.

Officials will have their hands full sorting out all these tough guys in our league who want to fight.....would like to think our team can get the results through discipline, skill and natural toughness.

I think the extra import can be a great advantage if used properly in terms of minor and major injuries, motivation, keeping players fresh and lineup matching.

However, there are also several concerns regarding line chemistry, team chemistry and about only 2 or 3 players falling into the sit out situation. With the versatility of its players the team has a full range of options when everyone is healthy!

Let's hope the coaching staff has learned some things from the experiences of the last two seasons and uses it, if it actually occurs, to its full potential.

2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

So a conversation took place with a person who could not name a player, cos that would have implications regarding trust, but they drop a huge acknowledgment. I could believe this scenario if the person was not going to reveal it on a fan forum. But since you have.

Don't ring true.

If this did happen it's highly likely their just winding up a person who is both a gossip and gullible, knowing their highly likely to write it on the inferno.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electro said:
So a conversation took place with a person who could not name a player, cos that would have implications regarding trust, but they drop a huge acknowledgment. I could believe this scenario if the person was not going to reveal it on a fan forum. But since you have.

Don't ring true.

If this did happen it's highly likely their just winding up a person who is both a gossip and gullible, knowing their highly likely to write it on the inferno.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are an arse!! :lol:

Firstly I don't think this guy is really coming our way. Secondly IF and that a big IF he was looking at taking a 90% cut in his wages to play for our club then I would question why? Thirdly is it only me that is concerned about his plus/minus ratings and Finally IF we were looking at paying silly money for a Enforcer or Two Way Player then I really believe that for the same money if we are looking at out and out imports then we could recruit someone far better in that role who could become our Franchise Signing for years to come. So Devil MAY Care even IF you do know something and have been told in CONFIDENCE then maybe it should stay that way as Devils DO Care.

Ocko

He would be taking a cut in his wages because there may not be another option for him. He doesn't appear to have any other offers so leagues like the EIHL are sometimes the only option if they want to continue their careers, especially so with the veteran rules and tightening of fight rules this year.

His plus minus will always be bad. He plays fourth line in the NHL; that line doesn't score goals, it's not what it's there for. No fourth line player will ever have a good plus minus.

This guy would put bums on seats and offer a ridiculous level of protection for our skilled guys. This is the toughest the league has been in years and he would be the toughest guy in it. If it comes off, a great signing.

ASHIPP

One or two people on forums who have seen this player during his NHL appearances describe him as one dimensional.
If the Devils were to add to the roster they would certainly sign someone who could play and skate well. No point signing a pure tough guy with a limited role.

Ocko

Of course he's one dimensional, he's a career enforcer. But he's one dimensional at NHL level and that's the level at which he is being compared. He no more one dimensional and any worse a player than Rosehill or McGratton and we have attempted to sign both of those. We have enough scoring, the only thing we need is toughness

This off season so far has been probably the most exciting in my time watching the Devils, since '89. The quality of our skilled imports signed this summer is outstanding and offers us huge potential for the new season ahead. Whether we are signing an enforcer or not and whether that is the aforementioned we have regardless still signed an absolutely outstanding roster of high end talent with plenty of AHL experience.

Personally I would like us to sign a 'policeman' who can contribute his 'fair' share of points, there is an arms race going on in the league this summer and I think a deterrent would be a wise move. I won't forget a shocking incident a few years ago in the season that our star centre Jon Cullen received a nasty facial injury when he was horribly smashed face first into the boards by the Steelers Mike Peron. At that time we had lockout NHL'er Rob Davison for a short stint and I remember he went crazy about the hit, but Rob was only with us for a short stint and for the rest of the year we relied on 'team toughness', which can only work up to a point.
The more heavy weights that come into the league then at some point there has to be a line when a decision has to be made to sign insurance cover.

Either way I think we all thank the owners and managent for delivering a top clas Devils roster this year. As fans we can pay that back by bringing more new people to the hockey and filling the arena.

Exciting times ahead!

Finny

ASHIPP said:
One or two people on forums who have seen this player during his NHL appearances describe him as one dimensional.
If the Devils were to add to the roster they would certainly sign someone who could play and skate well. No point signing a pure tough guy with a limited role.
They're the same people though who said that Bissonnette was a one dimensional player and refused to accept that Voth was anything other than a thug.

Bordeleau showed in junior hockey he can score points and when he had a decent run in the ECHL his points production was pretty good.

bb1

Ocko said:
He would be taking a cut in his wages because there may not be another option for him. He doesn't appear to have any other offers so leagues like the EIHL are sometimes the only option if they want to continue their careers, especially so with the veteran rules and tightening of fight rules this year.

His plus minus will always be bad. He plays fourth line in the NHL; that line doesn't score goals, it's not what it's there for. No fourth line player will ever have a good plus minus.

This guy would put bums on seats and offer a ridiculous level of protection for our skilled guys. This is the toughest the league has been in years and he would be the toughest guy in it. If it comes off, a great signing.
Sense spoken here from someone who obviously knows hockey. Well said

bb1

Finny said:
ASHIPP said:
They're the same people though who said that Bissonnette was a one dimensional player and refused to accept that Voth was anything other than a thug.

Bordeleau showed in junior hockey he can score points and when he had a decent run in the ECHL his points production was pretty good.
Who thought Biz would put up 1.88ppg! He was a bench warmer in NHL and scored very few points at AHL. Kevin Harvey put up nearly a point a game for blaze if I remember. These guys that maybe enforcers in NHL/AHL certainly will be able to play at EIHL level. Dougie did a great job for us scoring over 40pts for a slow guy who barely played at AHL level

Gazza272

Pleximan said:
At that time we had lockout NHL'er Rob Davison for a short stint and I remember he went crazy about the hit, but Rob was only with us for a short stint and for the rest of the year we relied on 'team toughness', which can only work up to a point.

Davison played the entire season as the lockout never ended.

I just dont think he ever wanted to get his hands totally dirty at this level. And I understand that.