Search results

1. matbur

Upcoming season thoughts

I get your sentiment and completely share your frustrations with government handling of this, BUT what people need to understand is this: cases were ALWAYS going to escalate to similar levels - if not worse - as we witnessed earlier in the year, purely because of the time of year we're...
  2. matbur

Joey Martin on a One Year Deal to Norway

Any competition that is able to go ahead this season (and regardless of what people would like, highly likely that it wouldn't be capacity attendances) will clearly be a second rate affair and a last ditch attempt to generate some income and to give people live hockey - not that there's anything...
  3. matbur

Joey Martin on a One Year Deal to Norway

Confident that Joey Martin will return next year. Can't fault his decision and good luck to him. It's pretty obvious there won't be a proper season now. There might be a shortened makeshift competition to fill the void later in the year, but it won't be full capacity even then, and with...
  4. matbur

Upcoming season thoughts

Expect some big news today.
  5. matbur

Signing announcement

You're not being pessimistic, it's realistic. Until vaccinations are widely available, the level of restrictions won't get much more relaxed than what they are right now. If they do, they will only be temporary and probably localised. There won't be 3,000 people restriction-free in any indoor...
  6. matbur

Signing announcement

Yeah, it's a pretty ominous sign but the writing has been on the wall for months. Some people are too foolish or ignorant to realise how ridiculous an idea it was to even seriously consider we'd be operating no social distancing measures in a 3,000 indoor arena - at all, let alone by...
  7. matbur

Upcoming season thoughts

People shouting, cheering side by side, in a cool temperature environment is not going to happen by December. Everything we've seen and learnt about this virus points to restrictions not getting much better than what they currently are - and if anything, they're likely to be worse at that...
  8. matbur

Upcoming season thoughts

I really wouldn't hold your breath for anything significant in terms of government funding.
  9. matbur

Upcoming season thoughts

As I've said previously, I just hope that the league and clubs have been contingency planning during this period because it's been quite apparent for some time that plans for the new season were ambitious, to put it politely.
  10. matbur

Upcoming season thoughts

No, we're not. I've said this ever since the pandemic broke out here, anyone who thinks we'll have a hockey season is kidding themselves. I sincerely hope that the EIHL and British hockey have been discussing contingency plans rather than just the staunch optimism we're getting as the official...
  11. matbur

The future of the Elite League and its teams

Good post and I agree to an extent, but my point is because of the threat there IS a point where we have to press pause on normality and shops will close etc. We don't know enough about immunity but despite being uncertain, the latest findings suggest it is very short term. But you are right...
  12. matbur

No need for the sarcasm, my comment pretty explains your new-found normality and it isn't a dramatisation, my point is quite logical.
  13. matbur

Even when/if they re-open, it'll need to be done with "Covid-secure" requirements, that is not 3,000 fans sitting next to each other in an indoor arena. Without turning this into politics, whatever your views, the driving factor here is the economy. The reasoning for that is obvious but it's...
  14. matbur

Sorry, but how do you fathom that? We are nowhere near being able to scrap social distancing, which is what is essentially necessary for hockey to resume. This easing we're experiencing now is merely due to suppressing the spread of infections due to lockdown. If it doesn't re-emerge as serious...
  15. matbur

It's all very worrying and quite depressing, especially when you take into context seasonal spike in autumn/winter. It's going to be chaos with people having flu/colds requiring testing just in case. Anyone, who genuinely believes we'll be sitting in an 3,000 indoor arena, side by side, in...
  16. matbur

I think eventually in time, it will transpire to be criminal negligence. I don't anything will be done about it however.
  17. matbur

Well, if you wanted proof how unlikely it is that the season will go ahead, then here it is. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/53322106 Teams only intend to play season if they can host full capacity arenas - albeit possibly on a shortened-season. There is absolutely no chance of that...
  18. matbur

Todd’s chat today

Guys, sorry but I feel some of you are missing the point. It's not about whether someone should loosen restrictions because of football or whatever. You don't need to be a Luke Piggott of the world to understand that relaxing restrictions = increases in infections. Do you really think that...
  19. matbur

They can reopen what they like, the problem is once the virus starts to circulate again, which it almost definitely will, things will need to close again. People think reopening is a sign that the virus has somehow 'left'. They need to think of it as an old fashioned weighing scales, adding...