OLYMPIC QUALIFIERS - GB vs China (08/02 @ 2000), Serbia (10/02 @ 1900) & Romania (11/02 @ 1900)

Diablo3

Final score...

Serbia 0-11 GB :D

Being described as a winner-takes-all game tomorrow against Romania, so I guess there's a bit more riding on that one!
Watching GB, a world championship group A team, play is a real treat. I'd love to see that brand of hockey at the Devils. I can't see them having any problems with Romania.

pjj365

Watching GB, a world championship group A team, play is a real treat. I'd love to see that brand of hockey at the Devils. I can't see them having any problems with Romania.
To see that brand of hockey at the Devils you need both sides to come to play rather than focus on disruption which seems to be the style across the EIHL

kettdevil1

To see that brand of hockey at the Devils you need both sides to come to play rather than focus on disruption which seems to be the style across the EIHL
Exactly! Coventry are the biggest exponents of this which is why games against them are so frustrating but as a general rule most sides other than Guildford and Sheffield this season focus on disruption rather than creation

Devils86

First GB game for me tonight. Appreciate they will have played 3 games in 4 days but Romania were not impressive. GB had so much time on the puck - meant that plenty of basic system errors went unpunished, including an instance where all 5 GB players were all around the puck and a break left Bowns to save the day. PP appeared to have some of the same issues as Devils.

But they can only beat what's in front of them - hope they go on to upset the next qualification round.

Some fans have previously suggested a revamp of the Challenge Cup where NIHL sides would be involved...that game tonight is what I would expect were an EIHL side to play an NIHL team early season.

Most EIHL sides would have beaten Romania tonight - and I say that cautiously given the various similar claims about NHL and EIHL teams in the past. That game just struck me as a friendly in terms of the speed and fight on show - save for a few checks into the boards every now and then.

That being said, Kirk, Neilson and Perlini were different level tonight for GB. I'd have Perlini in Cardiff in a heartbeat.

Diablo3

First GB game for me tonight. Appreciate they will have played 3 games in 4 days but Romania were not impressive. GB had so much time on the puck - meant that plenty of basic system errors went unpunished, including an instance where all 5 GB players were all around the puck and a break left Bowns to save the day. PP appeared to have some of the same issues as Devils.

But they can only beat what's in front of them - hope they go on to upset the next qualification round.

Some fans have previously suggested a revamp of the Challenge Cup where NIHL sides would be involved...that game tonight is what I would expect were an EIHL side to play an NIHL team early season.

Most EIHL sides would have beaten Romania tonight - and I say that cautiously given the various similar claims about NHL and EIHL teams in the past. That game just struck me as a friendly in terms of the speed and fight on show - save for a few checks into the boards every now and then.

That being said, Kirk, Neilson and Perlini were different level tonight for GB. I'd have Perlini in Cardiff in a heartbeat.
There are several GB players I would have in a heart beat. They scored 28 goals in three games and are the only top seed to qualify. Doesn't matter what is in front of them, they still need to do the business, which they did emphatically. Very entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed the games. I'm now back home defrosting after camping in Vindico for 4 days. :)

moggy#9

The next round will be much harder with Denmark, Norway and Slovenia. We won't be able to turn up to those games with 3 or 4 days of preparation and be anything but embarrassed. The elite league has to take final qualification seriously and make sure that we have the best possible squad at the highest level of fitness.