Giants Vs Devils - League - 3rd Feb 24 - FO 19:00

Wannabe2

Wow. What a performance. Dominant for most of the first 2 periods and a great defensive third period. Despite 3 penalties that even the Belfast commentators agreed were soft we still came out on top. Incidentally Simon Kitchen has matured greatly as a commentator. He has taken the feedback on board and no longer screams like a demented fan. Tonight he sounded like a serious commentator up there with other great commentators like John Donovon
In fairness he is a pretty good commentator when he don’t sqeal like an animal in a abatoir, he needed to chill as he don’t do himself any favours health wise. So well played Devils.

ASHIPP

Terrific result for our Guys. Well done Devils. Demonstrating their versatility tonight.. 1 pp goal, one unassisted, 1 ENG and 3 regulation. That was fun to watch.

There was another game where the Devils won 6-3 that was way back in 2001, “ another crap stat “ Great result tonight, well done guys

Last edited:

kettdevil1

I make that six in a row and always so nice to beat Belfast in their backyard. Despite the brief comeback, I was never particularly worried, Belfast looked far more brittle than they have for years and so even if they scored, I suspected we would come right back at them. Can't put my finger on what has clicked recently but we look massively more confident, there are far fewer lapses in concentration and the forwards are working harder when we are out of possession. I suspect this afternoon will be tougher but ..... another Belfast fire drill would be good....

ASHIPP

I make that six in a row and always so nice to beat Belfast in their backyard. Despite the brief comeback, I was never particularly worried, Belfast looked far more brittle than they have for years and so even if they scored, I suspected we would come right back at them. Can't put my finger on what has clicked recently but we look massively more confident, there are far fewer lapses in concentration and the forwards are working harder when we are out of possession. I suspect this afternoon will be tougher but ..... another Belfast fire drill would be good....
Finally chemistry on the lines, and simplifying systems? No coincidence the pp is finally functioning effectively and PR has discovered some really good combinations of players by being forced to juggle them around because of injuries. Our players are playing now to their strengths, with confidence , and no complicated drills.

moggy#9

Not that it's getting closer to the time of year when the players are used to actually starting to put in performances (when they're in North America), and contracts starting to be negotiated for next season? Or have I become too cynical?

kettdevil1

Not that it's getting closer to the time of year when the players are used to actually starting to put in performances (when they're in North America), and contracts starting to be negotiated for next season? Or have I become too cynical?
Although using that argument every team would be in the same position? I honestly don't know but it's great to watch the fluidity of our play, given PR's playbook does seem far more nuanced than the last two coaches, I do wonder if we will hit the ground running next season if we retain the majority of players?

Wannabe2

Well we can expect the Giants to come out at speed and determination today, but we have to match that with our own grit and passion. We outclassed them last night, and there’s no reason why we can’t do that again, yes yesterday is history now but play as we can and we could take this. Huge weight on Bowns to keep his great form going, good to see Cox doing what he is capable of, and awesome to see us playing as a team. It’s a big ask to leave the Emerald Isle with 4 points, but we can do this. So dig deep lads we are going to be cheering you on both sides of the water, give those great fans that travelled something to talk and drink about, let’s go Devils let’s go.

E.D.S.

Superb performance. First 30 were very strong, then the Giants started to come back into it but offered very little. I mentioned last week that we looked better when the game became unstructured and 'run and gun' and I saw a bit more of that last night but more so we looked better under pressure. The last 20 was a bit of us playing deeper and allowing the Giants more offensive time but we'd done enough by then, thankfully. What we can't afford to do is play deeper and stand off, whilst we aren't winning our face offs or clearing the zone effectively. There was a bit of that last night which was a concern.

All in all a cracking performance. Defensively we looked good. We gifted a goal through not clearing our zone when we had the chance but other than that there were bodies being thrown at the puck, blocks made everywhere and an inspired Bowns in goal. We'll miss Waller tonight if he can't make it. So many times his speed and puck carrying eased the pressure. Busch and Arniel were everywhere and worked so hard and FINALLY..... credit to Cox!! Mr Anonymous this season but he put in a hell of a shift last night.
It'll be a different Giants tonight - Fired up and ready for action but if we pinch the first goal they could implode again. Great to see Besko wanting to come off. He got hung out to dry last night.

Some Giants fans need to remember we're watching hockey and not football. Obscene gestures to Devil fans - some directed at kids - leaves a sour taste but there's so many class fans out there. It's unfortunately the ones sat around the plexiglass close to the away section. Just no need. It's just a bit of fun.

Brilliant to hear the Devils fans loud and proud at the end there.

Would love a point tonight.

Maybe Pete's getting more time to actually coach/train the guys. The schedule has eased up a bit after a bonkers few months.