Devils Vs Stars - League - 20th Jan 24 - FO 19:00

Ocko

I did notice last few minutes alderson was getting checked pillar to post in front of net by allen, but no reaction from him, just give him a cross check back ffs just to show you cant do what you want in our barn and get away with it...
But they can get away with it.

This isn’t Alderson’s fault; he’s not a fighter. Batch isn’t either really, who is also singled out regularly. Neither were signed to offer a deterrence, protection or intimidation. We haven’t got a player to do this, Brandt is there for entertainment because his fighting isn’t keeping any opposition awake at night. This is a recruitment strategy problem rather than the players we have. The management didn’t want a player like that and this is the result. Some will be happy some won’t.

Alderson might’ve fought a little when he was younger but that was when he was trying to make it. Same with Batch.

I was playing a beer league game in Canada a few years ago and was speaking to a former EIHL player who fans often criticised for not fighting enough. He said quite bluntly he wasn’t paid enough to get punched in the face for a team he hadn’t heard of until his agent contacted him about their interest. Can’t blame them really.

Rempel16

But they can get away with it.

This isn’t Alderson’s fault; he’s not a fighter. Batch isn’t either really, who is also singled out regularly. Neither were signed to offer a deterrence, protection or intimidation. We haven’t got a player to do this, Brandt is there for entertainment because his fighting isn’t keeping any opposition awake at night. This is a recruitment strategy problem rather than the players we have. The management didn’t want a player like that and this is the result. Some will be happy some won’t.

Alderson might’ve fought a little when he was younger but that was when he was trying to make it. Same with Batch.

I was playing a beer league game in Canada a few years ago and was speaking to a former EIHL player who fans often criticised for not fighting enough. He said quite bluntly he wasn’t paid enough to get punched in the face for a team he hadn’t heard of until his agent contacted him about their interest. Can’t blame them really.
To be honest that says more about the attitude of that former player. I’ve never been paid to play sport but it never stops me going through a brick wall for my teammates.

Ocko

To be honest that says more about the attitude of that former player. I’ve never been paid to play sport but it never stops me going through a brick wall for my teammates.
Cool. Good for you tough guy. I have no idea who you are or what you played but I wouldn’t like to make a comparison to playing a non-pro sport, that likely doesn’t accept fighting as part of the game, to having to stand toe to toe with the likes of McGratton, Jansen and Fitzgerald.

Rempel16

Cool. Good for you tough guy. I have no idea who you are or what you played but I wouldn’t like to make a comparison to playing a non-pro sport, that likely doesn’t accept fighting as part of the game, to having to stand toe to toe with the likes of McGratton, Jansen and Fitzgerald.
Why does it make you a tough guy, willing to do anything for teammates?

It’s just being competitive and wanting to win at all costs.

Your description gives a pretty obvious idea of who you’re talking about, and said player would have known during negotiation that such a role would be expected of him. I’m sure he’d have agreed to it at the time.

So in other words, he didn’t deliver on what he agreed. That gives even more right to question the attitude.

ASHIPP

Brittain saw his team go down 3 nothing then decided to do something about it. And it seemed to have worked as they pulled it back to 3-2 not long after. Fair play to him I say.
Yes thought the same..Doesn't matter what he did or didn't do at the Devils last season that's gone. He plays for another team now. Isn't he their captain...would expect him to take some sort of action on the ice. What has our leadership group done when the chips are down in some games? Some folks have certainly been critical of them at times this season.

Wannabe2

Goes to show just because you played in the AHL it don’t mean Jack all, Brittain played 121 games in that league duh, we signed him from the Austrian league where he had scored 3 goals from 44games a goal every 15 games, and a point every 3 games, what was that all about.

RedDevil17

Goes to show just because you played in the AHL it don’t mean Jack all, Brittain played 121 games in that league duh, we signed him from the Austrian league where he had scored 3 goals from 44games a goal every 15 games, and a point every 3 games, what was that all about.
Similar with Alderson. The man has somehow managed over 100 AHL games yet he’s been pretty useless. Goes to show just because you've played in very good leagues doesn’t mean you’ll rip the league apart.

Hedd Wyn John

Similar with Alderson. The man has somehow managed over 100 AHL games yet he’s been pretty useless. Goes to show just because you've played in very good leagues doesn’t mean you’ll rip the league apart.
Yes he played in the AHL but that was 7 seasons ago. More importantly I'd say is where he was playing recently.

Wannabe2

Spot on, remember Adam Ross he came to us from the AHL, he needed as much room to turn as the Queen Mary, we have signed some truly great players but by god have we signed some real bummers.

moggy#9

But only 2 players in the league has scored more goals than Sanford, 1 of them has played 3 more games and the other 1 two more games
I think that this is the flaw with the way that we view statistics. Perhaps we ought to be looking at how players perform against given opposition. After all, scoring a hat trick in a match that we won by six or seven is less consequential than an assist in a game we won by the odd goal. Also, what are the points streaks that players put up? That really shows who comes to play every night.

Another thing to consider is the overall impact a player has on games. If a player can go several games being completely anonymous, then I'd suggest there's a problem. If on the other hand he's always finding ways to contribute, then he's a potential star.

I feel that one of the biggest problems with this devils team is that there's no stand out top line that will turn a game on its head.

I think that this is the flaw with the way that we view statistics. Perhaps we ought to be looking at how players perform against given opposition. After all, scoring a hat trick in a match that we won by six or seven is less consequential than an assist in a game we won by the odd goal. Also, what are the points streaks that players put up? That really shows who comes to play every night.

Another thing to consider is the overall impact a player has on games. If a player can go several games being completely anonymous, then I'd suggest there's a problem. If on the other hand he's always finding ways to contribute, then he's a potential star.

I feel that one of the biggest problems with this devils team is that there's no stand out top line that will turn a game on its head.
If I could like this post multiple times I definitely would!