Devils Vs Stars - League - 20th Jan 24 - FO 19:00

Finny

Very entertaining game with both sides looking to attack and hope that they don’t need to do any proper defending.

Batch got an early goal with a shot through traffic from the point, but other than that the early exchanges were pretty even. Devils then got a PP with what looked a soft call, and after making it 2-0 hit a bit of a purple patch. Crandall made it 3-0 with a tip in front and the Devils should have made it 4-0 when the puck was loose by the post but the Cardiff players got in each others way and forced it wide.

Stars were desperate to get a goal before the end of the period and did just that, albeit in fortuitous circumstances. Crawford looked to be caught with a high hit but the referees allowed playe to carry on, leaving two Dundee players out in front and they combined to make it 3-1.

10 seconds into the second and a hopeful shot from the point found its way through Bowns and somehow the Stars were back within 1. The game was pretty much end to end for the next 10 minutes. Both netminders made big save, most notably Bowns from Valentini on a (3 on 0?) breakaway and also Carr on a Crandall breakaway. Stars arguably had the better chances but it was the Devils who scored next. Ben Davies were a great cross-ice pass that needed only a tap in from Busch. When Arniel tapped in Ully’s pass a minute later it looked like the Devils might start to run away with it, only for Dundee to get a goal back on the next shift when Johnson bounced one in off Bowns’ pad.

Stars had the better of the start of the 3rd period but as they seemingly started to tire, Wilde weaved his way through the Stars zone to make it 6-3 with less than 8 minutes to go. But the Stars still weren’t done and another Johnson goal from a ridiculous angle kept the game alive.

Stars bombarded Bowns’ net in the final minutes but after Carr was pulled, Crandall fired in the empty net goal from the red line to finally seal the win for the Devils.

No 4 for Dundee might be in a bit trouble though with DOPS. Clear hit to the head on Davies in the 1st that wasn’t called by the referees and led to the Brandt-Brittain fight. I can only assume tephey missed it because it was so late, but they could be looking at a ban for it.

E.D.S.

Entertaining game. I enjoyed that. We were sloppy at times clearing our zone and got punished. Great to see Batch get a goal. He does that every game, fires the puck on net hoping for a tip. Tonight proved how effective that can be with goals from both sides. He had another good game tonight.

Yet again, a slow start to a period and conceding straight after scoring. You can copy and paste my views on that from virtually every single week. We never learn.
What can you say about Brandt that hasn’t already been said throughout the season. What a guy!
Barrow, Crandall, Ully and Davies had great games tonight. Good to see the powerplay firing tonight.

Definite hit to the head on Davies by Allen.

jenks33

Problem for me with these two, apart from their size is that they encapsulate the Devils form, hot one night, totally anonymous the next!
Inconsistency personified!
Perfectly capable of having a 5 goal weekend, then going 5 games without scoring!
I’ve said this for a while but we will never win the league with Cox and Sanford on our roster, I’m convinced of that. And I actually don’t mean for that to sound as brutal as it sounds. Let’s be honest this league isn’t for everyone, it’s not like 99% of leagues around the world where you can be decent throughout the season and really turn up for the play offs. The league is the biggie in this country and you have to bring it every night. A Sunday evening up in Fife is just as important as a Saturday evening at home to Sheffield and I don’t think they are the type of players that can buy into that chain of thinking. We’ve seen plenty of players in the EIHL over the years that have put up 60/70/80 points for teams like Dundee, Manchester, Fife but the big 4 haven’t been interested in those players. Players like Sisca, Scarsella etc. I fear Cox and Sanford fall into this category. To be fair I’m not saying they’re Fife level but maybe Coventry/Glasgow level. Put it this way if we released Cox and Sanford I don’t think Sheffield would be interested. Very talented players but not 200 foot players that will get us back to where we want to be.

Anyway good to get the two points tonight :)

Wannabe2

I’ve said this for a while but we will never win the league with Cox and Sanford on our roster, I’m convinced of that. And I actually don’t mean for that to sound as brutal as it sounds. Let’s be honest this league isn’t for everyone, it’s not like 99% of leagues around the world where you can be decent throughout the season and really turn up for the play offs. The league is the biggie in this country and you have to bring it every night. A Sunday evening up in Fife is just as important as a Saturday evening at home to Sheffield and I don’t think they are the type of players that can buy into that chain of thinking. We’ve seen plenty of players in the EIHL over the years that have put up 60/70/80 points for teams like Dundee, Manchester, Fife but the big 4 haven’t been interested in those players. Players like Sisca, Scarsella etc. I fear Cox and Sanford fall into this category. To be fair I’m not saying they’re Fife level but maybe Coventry/Glasgow level. Put it this way if we released Cox and Sanford I don’t think Sheffield would be interested. Very talented players but not 200 foot players that will get us back to where we want to be.

Anyway good to get the two points tonight :)
But only 2 players in the league has scored more goals than Sanford, 1 of them has played 3 more games and the other 1 two more games

jenks33

But only 2 players in the league has scored more goals than Sanford, 1 of them has played 3 more games and the other 1 two more games
So it’s all about Goal scoring? As I said I’m looking at a 200 foot game home and away. There’s no doubting Sanford is a great goal scorer at this level but so are/were dozens of players that played for lower table teams in this league. Doesn’t mean they were suited to this league or good enough for a title winner/contender.

Ocko

Brittain punched Brandt after they both went down to the ice, showing no class at all, how we ever signed this sad excuse for a hockey player baffles me.
Come on mate we can’t play that holier than thou card. We’ve had and still have plenty of players who’ve punched players when they’ve been on the ice. Brandt himself, Chad…. Worst for it was MacWilliam.

Diablo3

Come on mate we can’t play that holier than thou card. We’ve had and still have plenty of players who’ve punched players when they’ve been on the ice. Brandt himself, Chad…. Worst for it was MacWilliam.
I know it happens, but given he couldn't beat a much smaller guy when they were stood up, it just lacked any class

Brittain and Brandt were chirping each other from their first shift. Brittain clearly shouted “fuck you” at Brandt just before a Devils O zone face off in response to whatever Riley said to him.

Also Donaghey laughing in Brittian’s face as they left the ice in opposite directions at the end of the first made me chuckle

Ocko

Anyone know why the Stars weren’t using the away dressing room?
Believe the changing rooms they were using have had a refurb so are probably better than the one next to the Devils.

Previously the 4 changing rooms could fit about 5 people in each. One of the many design flaws of the clueless people who designed the rink. I *think*, they’ve turned the 4 changing rooms into 2, which enabled us to host the Continental cup. Because the 2nd pad is gone (another design flaw), we don’t need 4 changing rooms anymore.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #38
Interesting. Yeah they totally ballsed up the design. Same reason you can see there’s pillars bang in the middle of the devils dressing room.

E.D.S.

I know it happens, but given he couldn't beat a much smaller guy when they were stood up, it just lacked any class
Credit to Brandt. He knows how to look after himself and Brittain knows how to throw them. That should have been a non-contest with Brittain taking an easy win but Brandt was brilliant and he got the take down.

Not much love for Brittain with the Devils players which was noticeable in his first game back a few weeks ago. He couldn't have been that great in the dressing room. Admittedly, he was terrible on the ice for us but that doesn't normally create an issue between players. It's usually the off ice stuff that counts. He went for Cox when he first came back and gave him a decent slash tonight too in the first few minutes. I thought it might have kicked off straight away with the line the Stars put out to start the game but Brandt got stuck straight into him during his first shift. Great entertainment.

RedDevil17

Brittain and Brandt were chirping each other from their first shift. Brittain clearly shouted “fuck you” at Brandt just before a Devils O zone face off in response to whatever Riley said to him.

Also Donaghey laughing in Brittian’s face as they left the ice in opposite directions at the end of the first made me chuckle
After Dundee scored their second (may have been first), Brittain looked over to one of the devils players on the bench and shouted ‘you pussy’ as he was skating past. Not sure which player it was aimed at