GKS vs Devils - Conti Cup Final - 13th Jan 24 - FO 19:00

Interesting that we looked so much more cohesive without Cox and Sanford.

Excellent TEAM performance, to a man.
We saw more zone time and cycling the puck down low tonight than probably any game I can remember this season (and possibly even last season) without Cox and Sanford, even Joey Martin was back to his old self without having to carry the the ’deadweight’ on his line!

Fabulous game and a great result!

Devils86

Chalk and cheese to last night. Great gutsy performance full of heart if not the slickest of finishing. Nobody had a bad game. Bowns was MOTM for me. Wilde improved immeasurably. Duggan and Brandt provided a lot of energy to that side.

PK vastly improved when Duggs ices. Liked that Batch was covering the far post on the PL when previously we have just left it wide open.

Close ending. Some hits. Great fans from both teams - that is Devils right there.

Now please can we play like that tomorrow? Just a bit of consistency is all I want

Slartibartfast

If that is Euro hockey, I would be happy to watch it every week. Fast, skilful and exciting. It was very similar to Fridays game but with better defence, better goaltending and the hockey gods were smiling for a change.

Every player stepped up but a special mention for Arniel and Brandt. Arniel has been on fire this weekend, showing what he is truly capable of. Brandt is like an Abrams tank, absolutely solid but powered by jet fuel. He fought off of so many checks and won so many puck battles.
He also stopped a certain goal when he came out of nowhere at hell of a speed to take the puck away from the shooter. It will be really interesting to see where his career goes as he has made such a leap in his game this season.

august04 2.0

We saw more zone time and cycling the puck down low tonight than probably any game I can remember this season (and possibly even last season) without Cox and Sanford, even Joey Martin was back to his old self without having to carry the the ’deadweight’ on his line!

Fabulous game and a great result!
I hope Sanford isn't injured obviously, but I’d love to see him on the next plane back to Canada, and he can take his mate Cox with him. As you say, we might get the “old” Joey Martin back then too. Good win last night, would be nice to finish the tournament with an expected win tonight too, and regain a little pride anyway.

moggy#9

If that is Euro hockey, I would be happy to watch it every week. Fast, skilful and exciting. It was very similar to Fridays game but with better defence, better goaltending and the hockey gods were smiling for a change.

Every player stepped up but a special mention for Arniel and Brandt. Arniel has been on fire this weekend, showing what he is truly capable of. Brandt is like an Abrams tank, absolutely solid but powered by jet fuel. He fought off of so many checks and won so many puck battles.
He also stopped a certain goal when he came out of nowhere at hell of a speed to take the puck away from the shooter. It will be really interesting to see where his career goes as he has made such a leap in his game this season.
Yes I thought Brandt was incredible last night. Aside from all the things we know he does well he always seemed to have his stick in the right place to disrupt plays. Not bad for a guy who fans of other clubs don't taste.

Can we please get him signed up on a multi year deal asap? He needs to be part of the leadership group. He epitomises everything a devil should be.

Hedd Wyn John

The Pete Russell interview is up now. He commented on how amazing the atmosphere was. The thing is, the atmosphere was that way because of the brand of hockey being played. If the team played physical like that every game I suspect the place would be buzzing. The fans simply aren't interested in the sort of non contact game that has turned to get served up.
That's a big part of it but a lot of it was this was basically a Do or Die hockey game. You could tell the players were up for it in a way that we just haven't seen in the League . Heck in that critical quarter final challenge Cup game we lost against Glasgow the players just didn't seem that fired up for it. Having huge atmosphere from the fans definitely helps but you could tell the players wanted it

moggy#9

That's a big part of it but a lot of it was this was basically a Do or Die hockey game. You could tell the players were up for it in a way that we just haven't seen in the League . Heck in that critical quarter final challenge Cup game we lost against Glasgow the players just didn't seem that fired up for it. Having huge atmosphere from the fans definitely helps but you could tell the players wanted it
That's fair.

OJLloyd

A big congratulations to Todd and his management team and scores of staff
on how they have fine tuned this tournament. The work involved is immense.The timing ,
the security, the cleaning, so many thing and so many people.
Superb.
I was also glad to see CARDIFF - WALES on the middle of the ice.
Pleased that some interfering politician did not insist on CAERDYDD - CYMRU.
This is being streamed to Europe and they would have said ‘where the hell is that’?
Ah yes, why utilise the Welsh language. What a silly thought that would be.

Some of you on here have an absolute hard on for being anti-Welsh language, and you come across as rather silly.

I think the ice hockey forum would prefer you keep your politics BS to you and your UKIP mates in the social club in a Saturday evening.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Ah yes, why utilise the Welsh language. What a silly thought that would be.

Some of you on here have an absolute hard on for being anti-Welsh language, and you come across as rather silly.

I think the ice hockey forum would prefer you keep your politics BS to you and your UKIP mates in the social club in a Saturday evening.
So are suggesting that anyone who doesn't speak Welsh and has no interest in it (bearing in mind that Cardiff is an overwhelmingly English speaking city) is some sort of extremist? That would be like making sweeping generalisations about Welsh speakers and their attitude to English people.

OJLloyd

So are suggesting that anyone who doesn't speak Welsh and has no interest in it (bearing in mind that Cardiff is an overwhelmingly English speaking city) is some sort of extremist? That would be like making sweeping generalisations about Welsh speakers and their attitude to English people.
No, but it’s extremely interesting that you believe UKIP are extremists.

A failure to personally understand the Welsh language on the part of any individual does not decrease its value to the heritage or marketability of Wales as a nation, or certain organisation within Wales.

Rather, these people seem to insist on projecting their lack of understanding as a need to have it not appear in their daily lives so as to avoid the disappointment of their not understanding.

What people should do is avoid spouting unnecessary political views (and particularly silly, disprovable ones e.g. Americans know what Cymru is because it has been utilised heavily in Welcome to Wrexham) on an ice hockey forum.

They should take their small minded views and keep them to forums where people might want to participate in that conversation, rather than forcing it on those of us who don’t want to see it on, once again, a forum about ice hockey.