Nomads Vs Devils - Conti Cup Final - 12th Jan 24 - FO 20:00

E.D.S.

Where was Ully tonight? Is he injured?

Wall was responsible for maybe 3 and definitely 2 of the goals and Donnahey’s own goal along with frequent lapses accounted for the rest.

I do think that we showed more potential and if we played like that in league games I’d be pleased.

Wilde and Alderson impressed, as did Arniel to start with. His check to the head was appalling though and he deserved to be chucked for the game. Block 13 chanting ‘hockey is a contact sport’ is all well and good, but that kind of hit has to be penalised and it was a stupid penalty to take - that’s on him.
That’s very harsh on Donaghey. He should never be clocking the minutes he did tonight given his lack of match fitness. I found that to be poor management.
Alderson had a physical 5 minutes which makes things exciting but other than that he is way off the mark. At fault for the first goal just leaving the puck and was targeted for the first two periods. Dumped on his backside numerous times by smaller guys. Offers very little. Speaking of offering very little, Cox needs to go. His aversion to shooting is now embarrassing. When he does shoot all you hear is the sound of the plexi being tested. We had clear cut opportunities to score tonight with Crandall, Wilde and Crawford but they opted for the sandwedge and not the 5 iron, constantly looking for the perfect fit top corner finish when making the goalie work, would be far more advantageous. Its so frustrating.
Bored of writing this about Crawford. Again at fault for the third goal. He’s completely not interested in defending, he switches off and his man at the back post has a tap in when he should be tied up and his stick out of play, basics. They are momentum killers. We should have come out fighting and competing instead were even further behind.
You’ve got to look at Russell here. The start of the game and we’re two goals down. Start of the second and we’re a goal down. That’s coaching. Simple instructions aren’t being applied on the ice or they don’t understand what they are supposed to do.
What was abundantly clear tonight… we don’t have a first line that can threaten. We certainly don’t have one that can win us anything but we know that already but we had a shot at this trophy tonight and choked.
Honourable mentions to Batch and Davies again. Whilst I don’t think Wall was at fault for the goals tonight, he’s clearly not the netminder we expected.
It’s still very obvious to me where we are lacking… a quality first line and a no nonsense D man,

I enjoyed that hockey game despite the final score. Obviously the first three minutes were crap but there after we put in a good performance and had the better of second period and performed well in the third. Loosing Arniel was a big blow because he was going for it. The work was not rewarded in goals sadly.
How far have we fallen when a performance and result like that is seen as a good performance

Wannabe2

Where was Ully tonight? Is he injured?

Wall was responsible for maybe 3 and definitely 2 of the goals and Donnahey’s own goal along with frequent lapses accounted for the rest.

I do think that we showed more potential and if we played like that in league games I’d be pleased.

Wilde and Alderson impressed, as did Arniel to start with. His check to the head was appalling though and he deserved to be chucked for the game. Block 13 chanting ‘hockey is a contact sport’ is all well and good, but that kind of hit has to be penalised and it was a stupid penalty to take - that’s on him.
If we played like that in the league we would be 5th/6th, so want to like this team, but we are crap, lousy Defense, couldn’t hit the side of a barn door, and slowly becoming a carbon copy of a Dupont team. Little direction, little skill, small hearts, trying our best, but our best is so poor it’s untrue. As has been said league gone, challenge cup gone, Continental cup maybe gone, Giants in the outside lane saying goodbye, play offs unfortunately can’t see it, it will be tough to finish 4th.

Diafol

I thought the second period offered some hope, the best 20 minutes I've seen from the Devils in ages.
It lifted the crowd which in turn lifted the team.
Shame they couldn't capitalise on it, but I suppose that's the story of a disappointing season

Wannabe2

Bit confused here my mate, the best 20 mins I’ve seen from the devils in ages, they offered some hope. let’s HOPE we get some more of that, because we are such a poor team.

kingmo19.1

This team is costing the club an absolute fortune!

Dumped out of the challenge cup - lost revenue.

Shambolic tonight, therefore unlikely to win the Conti cup, therefore no CHL - again lost revenue!

Can’t wait for next season’s £9.00 a pint and £175.00 a shirt to make up for it all !

Diafol

Bit confused here my mate, the best 20 mins I’ve seen from the devils in ages, they offered some hope. let’s HOPE we get some more of that, because we are such a poor team.
Sadly I agree with you.
It just highlights what a disappointment this season has been.

Devils86

I look forward to seeing the highlights because clearly I was at a different rink tonight. We killed a 5-minute major (which their fella ducked into at the last minute) and that was it...

Zero efficiency in front of net. No fluidity. No fight. No leadership. Never looked like getting anything from it after two nightmare starts to the first two periods. We looked dodgy at the back and toothless going forward.

Shoot the puck on net and get the NM moving, ffs. Rebounds were the only way we got anywhere close to scoring - ironic given a long hopeful shot went in and the one time we were allowed to drive at their D we scored.

Wall isn't up to it, sorry, I want him to do well but hes not going to contribute to us winning anything. And I get we aren't allowed to fight, but does it say in the IIHF rules that we can't check either? Just cycle the puck and pass until we might get a chance at the perfect goal.

This team are making it really easy not to renew my ST at the moment.

BUT: BLOCK 13 - fantastic tonight, best performance for ages. Have been flat in recent weeks but tonight they stuck to a couple effective chants and were noisy all night. Didn't deserve that performance put in by a mediocre Devils side.

But hey, 'no nights off'. I'm sure we can watch a video at the end of January and feel all rosy again. 'Stand up for yourselves and the hockey club' - just words, Pete. Nobody wanted that win tonight more than their opposite number.

JT666

Todd FFS ! get down to that dressing room and let rip!

This team needs to hear another / a different voice!
If Kelman is getting involved in team matters, I’d be concerned his interference is the problem, not the solution!

Since Lord, we’ve had three coaches, two of great experience and pedigree, and every time we have witnessed exciting and optimistic seasons turn into dull and largely unsuccessful ones.

Some are calling for yet another change of coach, but if they don’t have the ultimate say on signings and tactics then it would be a futile exercise.

Of course it could be a coincidence that the same issues seem to crop up every season..

BostonBart22

Great hockey for a long time in parts by the devils , but same old story can't hit the target, made their average keeper look good , where was king on bench has he been gassed ?, seen river on balcony but no ully?. Lose tonight and it's curtains I'm afraid , like someone said the leadership this season is killing us ffs when the officials were reviewing the hit a good 2 mins why didn't we regroup and have a timeout by the bench ,russel and franny no input in that 2 mins , I was watching Ritchie, no intrest whatsoever of talking to the rest of the players, very poor imo. It gets bad when there was no standout player on our side tonight for mom, nomad had about 10 mom I could've picked easy, that's the difference they wanted it more , devils just turned up I'm afraid. Losing faith in this team now , another trophy
less season again .

Finny

I’m waiting for the “I didn’t watch this game (again) but you’re all wrong. Here’s a stat for you.” ;)
I watched all but the first minute.

I thought we played really well and dominated for long spells, but luck wasn’t our friend tonight. We heavily out shot them but a combination of poor finishing and great netminding meant we didn‘t get the goals we deserved.
1st goal was a poor turnover and I think Wall will want it back.
2nd goal was a fluke bounce.
3rd goal was a lucky bounce and then a brilliant pass.
4th goal was a fluke in off a Dmans skate.
5th goal was an ENG.

At 3-2 we’re on top, Cox is blatantly hooked but referees ignore it. Astrana go straight down the other end and make it 4-2 to seal the win when we should have been on the PP. Fine lines can make all the difference at this level.

Astana might be a young team but they’re talented and fighting for spots on KHL rosters which are way above our level. You don’t get the time on the puck you do at EIHL level to pick your spot so shots are rushed.

I’ve seen people say that we didn’t learn our lessons from the first game with Astana (which I didn’t see) but unless those lessons are “score more goals” and “make less mistakes” Im not sure what else we could do?

Finny

Russell must be sending the players to sleep before they hit the ice, early goals conceded again , time to get a ruthless coach in, plenty of time for the new coach to get the players up for the playoffs , 2 months of dead rubbers coming up
If conceding an early goal means Russell is a bad coach, was he a good coach when we scored early goals against Manchester last week?
Or within a minute against Sheffield In the previous game?

In fact, we’ve scored the first goal in the previous 6 games. Starting games well hasn’t been the issue.

ASHIPP

And it gets worse - Giants are now level on points with us in the league!

Time for an early night, bury the head under the pillow and cry!
Yes we will have some games in hand in the league battle once this tournament is over. That can be an advantage... but only if the team WINS those games. Can PR get them drilled and motivated enough to do that?

E.D.S.

I’ve seen people say that we didn’t learn our lessons from the first game with Astana (which I didn’t see) but unless those lessons are “score more goals” and “make less mistakes” Im not sure what else we could do?
That is brilliant.
“Score more goals” and “make less mistakes” would be a healthy start. Prepping the team for counter attacking hockey would be another. “Scoring more goals” and “making less mistakes” is the very essence of coaching and most team sports. Are you saying because we don’t score more goals PR isn’t a good coach?

Goal three: A brilliant pass? There isn’t a brilliant pass to make if the player is tied up and his stick is not available. I call it defending.

“I didn’t see it but….” :D

moggy#9

This team is costing the club an absolute fortune!

Dumped out of the challenge cup - lost revenue.

Shambolic tonight, therefore unlikely to win the Conti cup, therefore no CHL - again lost revenue!

Can’t wait for next season’s £9.00 a pint and £175.00 a shirt to make up for it all !
There is no automatic chl fort the winner. That went with the reorg of the CHL.

E.D.S.

5th goal was an ENG.
Alistair Campbell would be proud of that spin. Looking at the write ups on this forum, I’m not sure you’ll convince many people that we lost that game because of “flukes” and bad luck.

moggy#9

I watched all but the first minute.

I thought we played really well and dominated for long spells, but luck wasn’t our friend tonight. We heavily out shot them but a combination of poor finishing and great netminding meant we didn‘t get the goals we deserved.
5th goal was an ENG.

At 3-2 we’re on top, Cox is blatantly hooked but referees ignore it. Astrana go straight down the other end and make it 4-2 to seal the win when we should have been on the PP. Fine lines can make all the difference at this level.

Astana might be a young team but they’re talented and fighting for spots on KHL rosters which are way above our level. You don’t get the time on the puck you do at EIHL level to pick your spot so shots are rushed.

Late starting, just like the team, eh? ;-)

Sorry, I don't buy these excuses. If it was an isolated incident, maybe. But this is part of a bigger pattern. In hockey, to a certain extent, you make your own luck. If you do little things right the big things tend to come together. Unfortunately this is a team that struggles with the basics. They only showed any fight after the 5 minute major and then when they actually exerted some pressure they're not going to score of they can't pass and shoot straight.