Carruth

Gavevs88

I think it's a bit of a disservice to Bowns to suggest we are missing Carruth this year. For the things that have gone wrong, I don't think Bowns is to blame. He's been in excellent form.

Add in that Carruth would command a wage that would put him as one of, if not the top earner and you'd have to start looking at cutting cloth elsewhere in the roster to fit him in.

Definitely looking forward to seeing him. I hope Chad and Brandt are told to leave late sticks in, make him chase them out of their goal. Offer to drop the gloves if needs be, as we know he'd be up for it.
Bowns might be having a good season, but he's nowhere near being in Carruths league.

Wannabe2

Carruth is history, yes a good player but history. Don’t forget if you had Carruth you lose an import out player, then you have to pay his accommodation and he ain’t single, plus the bigger wage he would demand.

Wannabe2

You could have Partric Roy in goal, if you have a lousy defence you ain’t going to win anything. We have far more positions to change than our Nettie, and Carruth is still in Denmark next season anyway.

Ocko

Bowns might be having a good season, but he's nowhere near being in Carruths league.
But that’s the thing, he is in Carruth’s league. They’re both EIHL level netminders.

The difference between them on Bowns current save percentage to Carruth’s season with us is 1.4%. Which considering our D is apparently the worst it’s been in years is astonishing considering he’s allegedly nowhere near his league.

Bowns played pretty much every game in Devils’ EIHL league, Challenge Cup and Playoff titles over multiple years while also winning EIHL netminder of the year more than any other goalie. I think he deserves a bit more respect than saying another NM who wasn’t re-signed because of an off ice issue and won next to nothing compared to Bowns is in a different league. Maybe Carruth is better, maybe he isn’t. But there is very little in it in reality.

Last edited:

Devil94

If Mac Carruth is as good as some say he is, then he would have had an extensive AHL career and played in one of Europe's top leagues. He hasn't. And he wouldn't have come to the EIHL at 29.

Carruth v Bowns

Carruth will always stand out, why? His personality, professionalism, he wants to win and commands a presence in net. How many games did he help win with his performances? You all seem to believe this fantasy that he was an issue in the changing rooms, maybe because he told people straight and wouldn't let anyone hide from mediocre performances and didn't like being called out.

Bowns has been the poster boy of a 'golden era' of British hockey, and rightly so. But he just doesn't seem to turn up week in, week out anymore. I haven't seen him turn a game into our favour with his performances this season or last like what Carruth did in one season.

This argument could go on and on with personal preferences but it's quite sad to see some people want to chant it's all your fault and want to get in his head to a player who always gave 110% each game and helped deliver the last piece of silverware. Never bad mouthed the club since leaving and has recently said he'd be open to a move back.

kettdevil1

Carruth v Bowns

Carruth will always stand out, why? His personality, professionalism, he wants to win and commands a presence in net. How many games did he help win with his performances? You all seem to believe this fantasy that he was an issue in the changing rooms, maybe because he told people straight and wouldn't let anyone hide from mediocre performances and didn't like being called out.

Bowns has been the poster boy of a 'golden era' of British hockey, and rightly so. But he just doesn't seem to turn up week in, week out anymore. I haven't seen him turn a game into our favour with his performances this season or last like what Carruth did in one season.

This argument could go on and on with personal preferences but it's quite sad to see some people want to chant it's all your fault and want to get in his head to a player who always gave 110% each game and helped deliver the last piece of silverware. Never bad mouthed the club since leaving and has recently said he'd be open to a move back.
See this always comes up - his 'will to win', now I am not doubting that he is super-competitive and did call out people who he thought were not performing but have a look at what he actually has won in his pro career..... very little indeed, for me that tells us something. Compare that to Bowns who is a serial winner and that is why I would always select him over Carruth. It is not just about stealing wins from time to time, it is being great when it matters and making those around you great as well, there is no evidence so far presented that convinces me that he is better at this than Bowns.

As for getting in his head then I am all for it. For sure clap him at the start as thanks for a decent year with us but when the puck has dropped we want to win the game, we know there is a weakness in his game so.... why would we not look to exploit it simply because he once played for us?

Chris

Administrator
Have to say I don't really understand this view.

No one is doubting what he gave to the club whilst he was here, but he doesn't play for us any longer, he isn't part of our team, he plays for a team we need to beat in order to progress ourselves.

If that means trying to wind him up then so be it, hell he's probably expecting the same thing to happen when he walks back into IAW, do you really think he's sat there thinking we should give him an easy ride because he played for us for one season?

It's been mentioned on a few posts and threads already by others about how stale IAW is and how we shouldn't be welcoming clubs into our barn like they are our best friends, seems like this might be a place to start. I also don't think it's suggesting that it goes as far as it did when say Fluery signed in the EIHL, but being all nicey nicey because he played for us for a season? Nah...

moggy#9

Have to say I don't really understand this view.

No one is doubting what he gave to the club whilst he was here, but he doesn't play for us any longer, he isn't part of our team, he plays for a team we need to beat in order to progress ourselves.

If that means trying to wind him up then so be it, hell he's probably expecting the same thing to happen when he walks back into IAW, do you really think he's sat there thinking we should give him an easy ride because he played for us for one season?

It's been mentioned on a few posts and threads already by others about how stale IAW is and how we shouldn't be welcoming clubs into our barn like they are our best friends, seems like this might be a place to start. I also don't think it's suggesting that it goes as far as it did when say Fluery signed in the EIHL, but being all nicey nicey because he played for us for a season? Nah...
I think that there's nothing wrong with winding opponents up, whether they played for us or not, as long as it remains banter and not distasteful. Chris kelland and tony hand certainly never got an easy ride when they came to Cardiff.

Finny

He was also probably the best goalie we've had since Derek Herlofsky.
I would say Osaer was better than Carruth, and about on par with Aubry.

I really struggle to understand the slight-obsession some fans have with Carruth. Yes he was a good netminder - but he was nothing extraordinary. Have those fans who have this slight-obsession with him only been going a couple of years? Are they the same ones who don't rate Bowns because he is British or because they have that simplistic view of "we conceeded 4 goals lets blame it all on the netminder"?

I think Carruth's 'legend' is being enhanced by the fact he finished the season very strongly. But I remember a fair bit of criticism of him in the early months. And I would argue that the overall standard of the EIHL in that first season after Covid was the weakest it had been for quite some time.

Ocko

I really struggle to understand the slight-obsession some fans have with Carruth. Yes he was a good netminder - but he was nothing extraordinary. Have those fans who have this slight-obsession with him only been going a couple of years? Are they the same ones who don't rate Bowns because he is British or because they have that simplistic view of "we conceeded 4 goals lets blame it all on the netminder"?

I think Carruth's 'legend' is being enhanced by the fact he finished the season very strongly. But I remember a fair bit of criticism of him in the early months. And I would argue that the overall standard of the EIHL in that first season after Covid was the weakest it had been for quite some time.
Enhanced by the fact he loves a podcast and plays to fans when he’s on there.

august04 2.0

For me Osaer has been our best goalie ever, he was quite exceptional in his first spell with us.

BostonBart22

Like I said before todd welcomed brittain back in his returning game, what happened, he wanted a scrap with Cox at the end of the game, and was rightly targeted by fans as he left the skirmish, not saying carruth would do the same. All I want is waller to score against him and celebrate like he's never celebrated before