Inside Cardiff Devils Episode 4 ?

E.D.S.

quick Brandt look like your in pain lol felt very much like get the fans back on our side and show lots players having treatment ect
I took that as just another opportunity to introduce a different member of the team, the medical staff and give us a perspective we don't normally see. Let's face it, whether you've been watching hockey a long time or not, you can appreciate that players bang themselves up and carry injuries, just like rugby - not sure the angle of the programme was to generate sympathy.
It was good to put a name (Jade) to the face you see on the bench.

No i give my hats off to the players, i said to them i dont how they do it because i can not move the next day after rugby. Credit due to medical staff on how they look after the players. I could be wrong it just come across like that with the bad results we have had.

moggy#9

Having worked in tv for over 40 yrs I will take all this with a pinch of salt, how many takes were there, who allowed the final edit, and how honest is it. Sorry to be a pessimist but it’s all about honesty.
Those are all valid points. That all being the case though, I was surprised at what was included and how. For instance cataloguing the poor performances, rather than saying something bland like "there were ups and downs". Also, they could have easily ignored the Sheffield match on the basis that they were covering up to the end of December, it that it was too late to include it - this giving time for the wound to close a little.

I bow to your experience but, to me, Crandall seemed candid and spontaneous.

Finny

Having worked in tv for over 40 yrs I will take all this with a pinch of salt, how many takes were there, who allowed the final edit, and how honest is it. Sorry to be a pessimist but it’s all about honesty.
I would expect that Todd/Russell give permission for what can and can’t be used.

But surely you’re not suggesting that they did several takes of the locker room clips?
Id assume they film several different period breaks and pre-games and use the most suitable/entertaining.

I'm guessing he's no longer a good guy because he blew his lid.

After watching the episode it just makes me think Pete Russell is the Boris Johnson of the eihl, bumbles about and got lucky with landing a job he doesn't seem to have a handle on.

Got lucky , your deluded the guy knows hockey inside out

Devils86

Can't see hockey players being ok with staging an after game bollocking. All the other stuff - the interviews, sure there will be takes, edits, angles etc. Not the room stuff. Like suggesting they re-stage a goal or a fight so a better shot can be got.

Not that I have any experience in content production - so I may just be naive.

Anybody catch what Crandall was actually saying? There was an issue that was being complained about at the bench, which caused them to lose their heads - I got the rest but the beginning wasn't quite clear to my ear.

In the off-season Crandall was a 50/50 for me, and I hoped we got first season JC back - he's had a good year comparatively and is so far ahead of last season.

For me the A's and C are tokens - the leadership of the group comes naturally from wherever.

fridaysfingers

These guys are not actors ( I know that leaves the path open for a joke or two)
That’s from the heart from Crandall and very impressive it was too.
He’s getting all the credit quite rightly but he was sat in probably the best position for the edit so I think it possible he wasn’t the only player to voice his opinions like that but the most accessible filming wise.
Another great film and I agree that it was good that the bad times were not shyed away from

Swarley

Got lucky , your deluded the guy knows hockey inside out
He knows European hockey inside out and had success, his EIHL experience isn't anywhere near his European experience.

I'm far from deluded I just call it like I see it, Sheffield game he was stood hands in pockets looking defeated, soon as he starts showing some back bone on the bench and let's the team play with more attitude and grit that's when my opinion will change.

kingmo19.1

Fairly decent episode considering some of the horror show content experienced during that period. Likely to have been heavily edited with only the "selected" footage included. Couple of observations:-

1. Batch - PR is hardly going to say to him in front of an entire team and during filming - hey, your shite! Bit of confidence building going on there during some of those assessments.

2. Crandall - Decent player and glad he's playing a lot better this season, but come on - he says 2-3 sentences during 1 min-slip and people are calling on giving him the "C" ! Jeez! There is a bit more too it that that! IF anything, that should be the default attitude for the entire squad - hold each other accountable!

moggy#9

Can't see hockey players being ok with staging an after game bollocking. All the other stuff - the interviews, sure there will be takes, edits, angles etc. Not the room stuff. Like suggesting they re-stage a goal or a fight so a better shot can be got.

Not that I have any experience in content production - so I may just be naive.

Anybody catch what Crandall was actually saying? There was an issue that was being complained about at the bench, which caused them to lose their heads - I got the rest but the beginning wasn't quite clear to my ear.

In the off-season Crandall was a 50/50 for me, and I hoped we got first season JC back - he's had a good year comparatively and is so far ahead of last season.

For me the A's and C are tokens - the leadership of the group comes naturally from wherever.
I have to totally disagree with your view on the leadership group. Great teams have great leaders. You only have to look at the new york rangers with mark messier and his famous guarantee. A great leader will put the team on his back when it's needed and set the standard for others in the team.

I'm sorry, but the current leadership group seem to have that privilege because they've either been around for a while or because their peers like them. You don't see anything like grit from any of them.

Devils86

I have to totally disagree with your view on the leadership group. Great teams have great leaders. You only have to look at the new york rangers with mark messier and his famous guarantee. A great leader will put the team on his back when it's needed and set the standard for others in the team.

I'm sorry, but the current leadership group seem to have that privilege because they've either been around for a while or because their peers like them. You don't see anything like grit from any of them.
What I meant is that a player who is a leader or setting a standard will do so even without an A or a C. So to start tearing letters off people won't really have any positive affect IMO.

Just because they don't have an A or a C doesn't mean that they will sit and be quiet. Of course teams need a strong leader - we don't appear to have anyone this season who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck or drag the team back in to it. GOAT of old used to be one of those guys...

He knows European hockey inside out and had success, his EIHL experience isn't anywhere near his European experience.

I'm far from deluded I just call it like I see it, Sheffield game he was stood hands in pockets looking defeated, soon as he starts showing some back bone on the bench and let's the team play with more attitude and grit that's when my opinion will change.
lets be fair he knows far more than you will ever know/…..like I said your deluded

ASHIPP

Crosby at Penguins, Iginla at Flames....and in the EIHL, Keefe at Giants, Morissette at Devils, Finnerty at Devils. Two small guys on our previous rosters with massive leadership skills. Can't imagine the soft sofa approach from either of them in the locker room....and they were always bossing instructions on the ice.