Devils Vs Steelers - League - 3rd Jan 24 - FO 19:30

E.D.S.

I think it from the comment that Steve put in a thread before when we won well however nothing is said when we get beaten bad
I really value hearing from Steve and understand that it’s a rubbish time at the moment but I’d still like his view. I don’t see any issue in calling him out when he posts remarks like “typical Devils”. It makes him fair game.

bb1

I loved the signing of PR but at the moment he does seem like he’s out of ideas. I sit directly opposite bench at centre ice and last 2 games esp last night he looked dejected and did not say a word to the players in the last 2 periods. He should have dished out the hairdryer treatment to get them going……but nothing!

As for the team….looked good at the start of the season but again….to small up top and zero grit other than Brandt who is worth his weight in gold. The Brandt, Pietroniro and Busch line could inject some energy but…….Chad barely hit the ice
last night.

If there are 2 players who who play for the badge it’s Chad (when given a chance) and Brandt. As much as the rumours have been floating about Chad just give him the ice time and he will give us a spark FFS. The fact PR scratched him against Flames is a joke.

Bowns has been great this season considering our D is abysmal.
Richie is slowing but still one of our best.
Crawford is a points machine but defensively shocking and a complete shithouse.
Rhymsha is a 6 ft 3 fairy on skates. Id have Thompson back instead of him all day.
Batch is looking like he needs to hang them up as he’s gone back in his shell.
Mosey is one of the better D men but not what we need.
Donaghey has been a huge loss. By far our very best D man.
Wilde looks great going forward but not seen him throw a single hit.

Overall our D is way too offensive with zero physicality. Feel sorry for Bownsey.

Our forwards have some great skill but are too small and can’t protect the puck. We miss the likes of Haddad, Myers, Faryna who could all protect the puck against the boards. There just seems to be nobody who is willing to create an impact.

No player in our top 2 lines would make the Steelers 3rd line…….what does that tell you.

I hope PR can finally get them going but a couple of changes are what are needed to shake things up ready for the Play offs…..in hope we can get to POFW!

Hes had big power forwards play for him like Paul Bitner who are aggressive and physical so I have no idea why we don’t have one in our current team (excusing Brandt)

doron

Riley Brandt is a must-keep for me, more passion than the rest put together. Pietroniro is a usfull player also, i think joey is living on past history. underperforming for me, maybe its players around him? theres no grit to this team

Wannabe2

There may not be hundreds of people moaning and cheesed off with things that post on here, because hundreds don’t actually post, but there are hundreds thinking exactly what people on here post and that’s a fact. The bar and other places are non stop about what’s going wrong, and it’s hard to figure it out, myself and I could be a mile off course, but i think we have a number of players who don’t want to be here, and you don’t perform if your not happy. No one wants players who don’t want to be here, that’s obvious but this team seem completely soulless and it’s a great shame, things are just not right at the moment and you don’t have to be Einstein to figure that out, our gaff sadly ain’t the happiest place to be at the moment, yes we all turn up but there’s reasons for that and it’s not just to watch the game. Just hope the problems can be sorted because this club and fans deserve better. Sometimes it’s good to talk and we don’t do that very often, what ever happened to that group of fans that were supposed to be the link between the fans and the club, that was very short lived.

There are a number of people thinking of stepping away from the club, a lot of fans are losing the passion for the club, myself included. There are long term supporters who have said it doesn't feel like their club any more and only go because they love hockey. If the hockey continues to be as bad as it has been they will also lose their love for the sport at EIHL level.

The club have been lucky that they have managed to replace the leaving fans with all of the sellouts but that can't continue forever. The fans that have been long term through good times and bad are not so easy to replace with more long term fans

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

I loved the signing of PR but at the moment he does seem like he’s out of ideas. I sit directly opposite bench at centre ice and last 2 games esp last night he looked dejected and did not say a word to the players in the last 2 periods. He should have dished out the hairdryer treatment to get them going……but nothing!

As for the team….looked good at the start of the season but again….to small up top and zero grit other than Brandt who is worth his weight in gold. The Brandt, Pietroniro and Busch line could inject some energy but…….Chad barely hit the ice
last night.

If there are 2 players who who play for the badge it’s Chad (when given a chance) and Brandt. As much as the rumours have been floating about Chad just give him the ice time and he will give us a spark FFS. The fact PR scratched him against Flames is a joke.

Bowns has been great this season considering our D is abysmal.
Richie is slowing but still one of our best.
Crawford is a points machine but defensively shocking and a complete shithouse.
Rhymsha is a 6 ft 3 fairy on skates. Id have Thompson back instead of him all day.
Batch is looking like he needs to hang them up as he’s gone back in his shell.
Mosey is one of the better D men but not what we need.
Donaghey has been a huge loss. By far our very best D man.
Wilde looks great going forward but not seen him throw a single hit.

Overall our D is way too offensive with zero physicality. Feel sorry for Bownsey.

Our forwards have some great skill but are too small and can’t protect the puck. We miss the likes of Haddad, Myers, Faryna who could all protect the puck against the boards. There just seems to be nobody who is willing to create an impact.

No player in our top 2 lines would make the Steelers 3rd line…….what does that tell you.

I hope PR can finally get them going but a couple of changes are what are needed to shake things up ready for the Play offs…..in hope we can get to POFW!

Hes had big power forwards play for him like Paul Bitner who are aggressive and physical so I have no idea why we don’t have one in our current team (excusing Brandt)
You hit the nail on the head.

kingmo19.1

There may not be hundreds of people moaning and cheesed off with things that post on here, because hundreds don’t actually post, but there are hundreds thinking exactly what people on here post and that’s a fact. The bar and other places are non stop about what’s going wrong, and it’s hard to figure it out, myself and I could be a mile off course, but i think we have a number of players who don’t want to be here, and you don’t perform if your not happy. No one wants players who don’t want to be here, that’s obvious but this team seem completely soulless and it’s a great shame, things are just not right at the moment and you don’t have to be Einstein to figure that out, our gaff sadly ain’t the happiest place to be at the moment, yes we all turn up but there’s reasons for that and it’s not just to watch the game. Just hope the problems can be sorted because this club and fans deserve better. Sometimes it’s good to talk and we don’t do that very often, what ever happened to that group of fans that were supposed to be the link between the fans and the club, that was very short lived.
I think the general feeling has a few facets at present:-

1. The disappointment with this team/recruitment/coaching setup. I’m not suggesting we oust PR, but he did come with a big-rep and quite a lot of expectation considering his achievements elsewhere. If he recruited this bunch of mid-fits then he must take some responsibility.

2. Are we treated as real-fans these days or just expendables at the mercy of the now slick Devils corporate machine. Don’t like the logo - suck it up (no consultation). Wanna drink, pay top dollar, fancy chucking a puck, pay top dollar, a programme - yeah that’ll cost you a pretty penny too. Yes, things have gone up, but let’s be honest, even the blindest person can see that the club is hell bent on extracting any penny possible from your pocket these days.

3. Per point 2, you feel more like a general franchise customer these days - the historical connection and values are being eroded. Some will see that as progress, but the best business look after their customers and don’t mercifully try and extract every last penny from them!

4. Club is disconnected from the fanbase - no player access, no interviews, nowt from Todd, Steve is hardly seen on here these days.

5. Match night is stale - flat atmosphere, dodgy music selection (especially when the opposition scores!).

It all adds up over time.

No wonder people are generally feeling peeved !

JT666

I first started attending regularly 2014-2015 but cancelled my season ticket before COVID when I felt the experience was all getting a bit sterile. I thought the edge and atmosphere that made ice hockey so appealing was making way for a brand of politically correct softy softy ice hockey presumably in order to broaden the appeal of the sport to families.

I've attended twice this season (Nottingham 4-2 loss and then to give it another go I regretfully attended the Glasgow 3-1 CC defeat) and it seems to be even worse. Very few hits, a tired game night experience, and the same cold conference centre vibes in the bar and arena. I was bored stiff, and left both games before the end to get out of the car park more easily.

My fear is that the ice hockey a lot of us enjoyed is now largely a thing of the past, and maybe we just have to accept clubs would rather sell as many tickets as possible, by offering a non-offensive and non controversial family friendly product, than give the regulars what most of them actually want. Ironically as a child it was the fighting, the big hits and general fun filled atmosphere that appealed to me (call me blood thirsty!), and drew me back in 2014-2015 when I felt it was very similar to the old WNIR days. I acknowledge however times have changed, and maybe the blue collar ice hockey I loved is too much for the perennially offended to endure.

As an outsider looking in, the last three coaches since Lord all seemed to have said the right things, they start off reasonably well, but halfway through the season the same fan complaints of dwindling hits, fight and players playing reservedly seem to crop up. Unless it's a huge coincidence, this suggests to me the problems may not be with the coaches...

ASHIPP

1. The disappointment with this team/recruitment/coaching setup. I’m not suggesting we oust PR, but he did come with a big-rep and quite a lot of expectation considering his achievements elsewhere. If he recruited this bunch of mid-fits then he must take some responsibility.

2. Are we treated as real-fans these days or just expendables at the mercy of the now slick Devils corporate machine. Don’t like the logo - suck it up (no consultation). Wanna drink, pay top dollar, fancy chucking a puck, pay top dollar, a programme - yeah that’ll cost you a pretty penny too. Yes, things have gone up, but let’s be honest, even the blindest person can see that the club is hell bent on extracting any penny possible from your pocket these days.

3. Per point 2, you feel more like a general franchise customer these days - the historical connection and values are being eroded. Some will see that as progress, but the best business look after their customers and don’t mercifully try and extract every last penny from them!

4. Club is disconnected from the fanbase - no player access, no interviews, nowt from Todd, Steve is hardly seen on here these days.

5. Match night is stale - flat atmosphere, dodgy music selection (especially when the opposition scores!).

Excellent post. Points 3 and 4 in particular.
In other sports, teams have moved with the times but kept their beloved heritage....Liverpool FC a prime example. Team, Club, fans as interconnected as ever and moving forward together. The History and Heritage of any club should be revered and respected whether you were involved in it or not. Without that journey, there would be no club. Fans (even if they are new)and personnel shouldn't ever forget that.

In the first few years of our New Ownership, the connection with the team still existed because we were all on the same crusade, moving together, building success. I feel I know nothing about the players on our current team....to me (apart from our returning core of known players), they are any group of ice hockey players wearing our jersey. I wonder if they feel disconnected too.

Fan engagement was key to that relationship in the early days of New Ownership....match programmes with great articles about the players, regular timetable of social events, player interviews/podcasts, post game fan interaction, a Fans Forum Committee submitting ideas. What happened to all of that?

I still go to the home games (in the hope I'll be there when they win!) but it is a completely different experience to even 4 years ago.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Rest assured - when I win the Lottery, I’m buying the owners out (will give you a good price guys, so don’t worry).

Were bringing back:-

1. Passionate physical fast hockey.
2. An intimidating intro & pregame build-up.
3. Giving the entire place a proper revamp.
4. Appointing Kev to run the bar and decorate it like a hockey bar.
5. The old Pizza guy from outside the BBT.
6. A proper food outlet in the rink.
7. A decent selection of beers.
8. Player / fan interaction events.
9. More open training sessions.
10. Competitions to bring the fans closer into the club.
11. Fan suggestion boxes - that are discussed, voted on and implemented.
12. The old logo (fans to vote on the original or the previous one).
13. Fan competition to design the jersey each season.
14. Bringing the Junior Devils formally under the Devils umbrella with a joined up coaching approach.
15. Launching the Cardiff Devils NIHL team that will offer a pathway for promising young Brits to advance.
16. Pad 2 reinstated in all its glory.
17. Recognising The Inferno and making an effort to integrate it with the club.

Last edited:
Rest assured - when I win the Lottery, I’m buying the owners out (will give you a good price guys, so don’t worry).

14. Bringing the Junior Devils formally under the Devils umbrella with a joined up coaching approach.
15. Launching the Cardiff Devils NIHL team that will offer a pathway for promising young Brits to advance.

Not too bothered about open training sessions, I want to see the match night performances I pay for

Vartel

Don't forget 18. restarting adult Learn to Play hockey

Other than a brief period when the Cardiff fire organised it during their off season 18 months ago, there has been no adult learn to play level ice hockey in Cardiff since Covid lockdowns closed the arena in March 2020. If someone is watching the Devils and thinks "i could do better than that" and wants to learn, they have to go to Bristol nowadays. The lack of adult LTP is probably related to lack of Pad 2. Even the most welcoming rec teams need people who can skate/stop. Hockey stop is normally a minimum requirement and that is not taught at the figure skating lessons available at the rink

Also addendum to 17. Reinstate Match Night Live! Either gift a web stream to a volunteer to do MNL or have someone at the arena doing it. Those live text updates of what was happening in games used to be awesome and were a highlight of devils fandom in the BBT days

Post of 2024, this early