Dupont named head coach

Wagstaff

Dupont wasn't the head coach for the bulk of the season though to get us to the playoffs so I'm not sure what point you are making here.

Again though, finishing in the top 8 in a 10 league team is hardly impressive if you have a budget and a half decent off ice team. If it was top 8 in a 16 team league then yeah getting to the playoffs would mean something.

I'm starting to think some people on here just make posts to see how many likes they can get...
No DuPont wasn’t head coach when your season started to crumble and you were all saying that Skalde had lost the locker room, but who held them together, somebody did probably Franny and DuPont.
finishing in the top 8 is not unexpected but had your form continued you could have finished in the lower half of the 8 and had to face a better team and maybe not made it to Nottingham.
To be honest I don’t care how many people like my posts, I just tried to purvey a neutral outsiders view all I’m saying is, to those with negative feelings to him, give the guy a chance before you write him off

i think brodie fully deserves the head coach job.our form changed for the better as soon as he came on the bench,then we stuffed sheffield in the cc and went down to 4 d men for a long while which stopped our progress as it would any team in this league.lets give the guy credit,he won the play offs with 5 d men and both glasgow and guildford played out of they're skins as referenced by both coaches post game interviews.we found a way to win a trophy that nobody thought was possible.i think he'll bring back the core and 6 players that will make this team far stronger than last season.

Finny

If we are keeping the majority and bringing in only 6 new guys, it’ll be an interesting rebuild season, fingers crossed Dupont can pull it off, l certainly don’t want to be proven right if it means the Devils get worse than the dire season we’ve just had.
Apologies for going off-topic - but why the intermittent pretending that you're a Devils fan?
You've admitted before you're not and that the Devils are just your local team. That's fine. So why pretend otherwise? is it simply so you can wind up Devils fans?

And I don't think any true Devils fan would describe a season in which we won the Playoffs and lost the CC Final in OT as 'dire'.

ASHIPP

Where have you got this idea from? Stojanovic had a 92.5 save percentage in league play, which was third behind Carruth and Beskorowany.

Brust was poor though.
They had a bad period of injuries last season too, and some of their top scorers were out for a while.

Apologies for going off-topic - but why the intermittent pretending that you're a Devils fan?
You've admitted before you're not and that the Devils are just your local team. That's fine. So why pretend otherwise? is it simply so you can wind up Devils fans?

And I don't think any true Devils fan would describe a season in which we won the Playoffs and lost the CC Final in OT as 'dire'.
I wouldn't go so far as to say "dire" but unless you were hibernating for the winter months, I think it's fair to say our season (as a whole) was disappointing. We had moments of excellence that allowed us to compete in those competitions we did well in, and not completely lose track of the league, but there's still work to be done.

I think you singling out Mazzoak is tacky though. Regardless of whatever previously expressed opinions you might have disagreed with, singling out a poster's otherwise completely reasonable post to say "you're not a real fan" is gate-keeping, simple as, and pretty toxic in itself.

moggy#9

Thread starter #112

I guess this depends how you frame it. There were seven teams below us who would swap places, but 14 points, or whatever it was, behind the winners is well below where we'd like to be, as a team that should be perennial challengers for the top. There's also an argument that without stellar goaltending, it could have been even worse.

Yes, the cc and play offs are positives, but the problems around the team were about consistency. There's no denying some individual game performances were dire, but across a while season? I wouldn't necessarily agree, but there's grounds for debate.

moggy#9

Thread starter #113
Where have you got this idea from? Stojanovic had a 92.5 save percentage in league play, which was third behind Carruth and Beskorowany.

Brust was poor though.
The netminding stats don't tell the whole story though. They don't speak to the quality of shots, or the scenarios that played out. Both besky and carruth dominated games and had few percivable flaws.

The games I saw stojanovic play he got exposed by teams that appeared to have scouted his style. His lateral movement, five hole coverage, and his ability to read the game were all exposed at times. He's certainly not a top tier goalie. He was recruited in the expectation that he would be second string to brust, but then ended up basically being the go to guy because brust was so dreadful.

Mazzoak

Getting fed up of these people in here who say that they know stuff, without sharing this alleged knowledge…
What about, this……..Fan states positive opinions on player, coach, whatever then it’s deemed as knowledgeable, that person has demonstrated a high degree of understanding of the game etc etc.
Fan states negative opinions on player, coach, whatever then it’s deemed as being an armchair expert who knows nothing about the game, obviously lacks knowledge & has no experience of the game, a troll. Yet both sets of fans have similar levels of knowledge, it’s the opinion that differs. What about majority opinion has over the other, does the majority opinion of people mean it’s the correct opinion though ?
Well look at Boris, the PM, the majority believe he’s a good Prime Minister, yet here we are, a moron in charge of the country.
Put it this way, everyone congratulates Dupont on Twitter writing he’ll be a great coach etc, would Todd or Steve be thinking what the hell do this fans know, these armchair experts no nothing, they’ve never run a club or team, how do they know he’s a good coach. Very unlikely, yet it’s the same logic, just flipped.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I guess this depends how you frame it. There were seven teams below us who would swap places, but 14 points, or whatever it was, behind the winners is well below where we'd like to be, as a team that should be perennial challengers for the top. There's also an argument that without stellar goaltending, it could have been even worse.

Yes, the cc and play offs are positives, but the problems around the team were about consistency. There's no denying some individual game performances were dire, but across a while season? I wouldn't necessarily agree, but there's grounds for debate.
Agreed, if Skalde was dropped because it threatened our Play Off hopes that sends a message that Management was salvaging what was left, dire l stand by, opinions are subjective.

TL91

What about, this……..Fan states positive opinions on player, coach, whatever then it’s deemed as knowledgeable, that person has demonstrated a high degree of understanding of the game etc etc.
Fan states negative opinions on player, coach, whatever then it’s deemed as being an armchair expert who knows nothing about the game, obviously lacks knowledge & has no experience of the game, a troll. Yet both sets of fans have similar levels of knowledge, it’s the opinion that differs. What about majority opinion has over the other, does the majority opinion of people mean it’s the correct opinion though ?
Well look at Boris, the PM, the majority believe he’s a good Prime Minister, yet here we are, a moron in charge of the country.
Put it this way, everyone congratulates Dupont on Twitter writing he’ll be a great coach etc, would Todd or Steve be thinking what the hell do this fans know, these armchair experts no nothing, they’ve never run a club or team, how do they know he’s a good coach. Very unlikely, yet it’s the same logic, just flipped.
It’s more aimed at those who say they know who is and isn’t coming back, but without saying who these are. Why the secrecy?

E.D.S.

Got to agree with Moggy here
Interview just got you tube. Massive mistake in my opinion, but time to get behind him.
I felt exactly the same as Moggy when I saw the announcement. I always felt we deserved an established name at the helm (sorry Moggy I was in full agreement until you dropped in Neilson's name! ;)) but when you listen to Todd's logic it makes sense and completely turned my opinion around. Players want to play for him and re-sign, a new coach trying to sell Cardiff to a new bunch of players wouldn't work, he knows the league and he knows what the fans want. Great to hear DuPont's interview talking about bigger bodies, speed and making our rink a tough place to come. That's why I buy my season ticket.

moggy#9

Thread starter #120
Got to agree with Moggy here

I felt exactly the same as Moggy when I saw the announcement. I always felt we deserved an established name at the helm (sorry Moggy I was in full agreement until you dropped in Neilson's name! ;)) but when you listen to Todd's logic it makes sense and completely turned my opinion around. Players want to play for him and re-sign, a new coach trying to sell Cardiff to a new bunch of players wouldn't work, he knows the league and he knows what the fans want. Great to hear DuPont's interview talking about bigger bodies, speed and making our rink a tough place to come. That's why I buy my season ticket.
Lol, that's why we have a forum - for opinions. ;-)